Orthopedics Community
leg pain after back surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

leg pain after back surgery

i had anterior lumbar fusion l5-S1 in may of 06. Immediatedly developed leg pain, with numbness and pins and needles. told surgeon on 2 separate occasions he ignored my questions as to why this happened. The last 8 months have been hell for me. i am now on 800 mg of neurotin 3x a day. i cannot put any weight on my left leg at all.i had an MRI and a Cscan done , not really a 100% sure , but it looks as though the screw on the left side of the plate in my lower back went down too far and is actually sitting on the nerve going down theleft leg. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, I don't have any experience with this but it sounds like your best bet is to find a specialist (Not sure what spec you should go to)... find a doc that will sit down and talk with you and answer all questions that you may have.
I can only imagine the pain and discomfort you are experiencing.  I have a problem like that in my cervical spine.  One of the screws anchoring the lower portion of the plate that was put in my neck is angled wrong and is going through a portion of vertebrea and into the disc below and resting on a nerve.  I have terrible arm pains with the pins and needle feeling and then when I lay down at night, my arms go totally numb.  I can have it removed but due to other cervical problems from a surgery done about 30 years ago, my vertebrea in my neck are calapasing forward.  The only solution is for the plate to be removed and rods inserted front and back of  the entire length of my neck.  The Doctors (I have had consultations with 3 different specialists) say they cannot give my any idea if it would even work or what type of results I might have.  The worse results are what are scareing me from going through with it.  Do go for a second opinion with another specialist.  Good luck to you.  Will keep you in my prayers.   Kikko
I just had fusion L4-5 on 3/27/07.The day after surgery I was complaining about my left thigh being numb.The doctors told me it can be normal after surgery,but will correct itself.I'm now 1 1/2 wks post-op and my thigh hurts to walk on it,hurts to touch it.I called MD who put me on prednisone for 6 days to see if this helps.The fustrating part of all this,they never said this could happen.But me thought I might be developing a clot.I see the MD on Mon 4/9,he will have many questions to answer then.
I HAVE HAD TWO BACK SURGERIES IN THE PAST 4YRS. MY BACK PAIN WAS JUST AS PAINFUL AS YOU COULD GET , I WAS TAKING VICODIN, PERCOCET, INJECTIONS, AND THAT  DID  NOT HELP THE PAIN , SO I HAD SURGERY AND MOST OF THE PAIN WAS GONE EXCEPT FOR MINOR DISCOMFORT, BUT AFTER MY 2ND SURGERY I HAVE NUMBNESS IN MY LEG, LEFT BUTTOCK IS NUMB AND I HAVE SHARP PAIN IN MY FOOT ONCE IN A WHILE. MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?
my mom had back surgery about 2 months ago, she has extreme hip pain and says her physical therapist told her it was locked up since she had not walked properly for 3 years. she also told her one of the tendons in her leg was shortened from not walking properly?  would an MRI be helpful to see what is going on.  i would like to see her have a better quality of life.
I had lumbar fusion L5-S1 3 weeks ago.  I felt great after the surgery, did the walking that was recommended and everything.  One week after the surgery I woke up with excruciating pain going down my right leg.  It has not let up.  I went to my surgeon and he explained to me that during surgery a nerve root was damaged and the myelin sheath is no longer there protecting it.  He told me that the pain was due to the nerve trying to heal itself.  He didn't give me a time frame for when the pain would end, but a close friend of mine experienced the same thing and she said that it took about 6 weeks to get over it.  I can only hope that my pain will go away that soon and not remain.  I have been prescribed Lyrica a nerve pill to desensitize my leg but it really doesn't work
In 2000 I had a laminectomy at L5-S1, where the damaged disk material was removed from my spine.  After 6 years of chronic back pain I decided to have the operation.  Upon waking after surgery, my back pain was gone.  However, I now had a numb right foot from the middle toe to the smallest toe, and only to my arch.  After 7 years of hopping that it would improve, I gave up.  My surgeon said that the nerve root was affected during retraction.  It is a small price to pay for what I consider a successful operation.  Pins and needles I can take.  The back pain almost drove me insane.
I had my surgery in '01, L5-S1 discectomy, fusion, screws, rods, you name it.  After the surgery  I felt pain for almost a year.  Since '02 till last December I have been fine, yes I had the numbness in my leg but no pain.  Almost 7 years after my surgery all of a sudden I have excruciating pain in my right leg.  It started with muscle spasms, weakness, and finally pain.  Why after all these years is it happening?  The MRI and xrays say the surgical site looks fine.  I can barely handle stairs, walking, and even driving now.  
I would like to share my Experience Strength Hope in regards to spine surgery, I’m not a doctor I am a patient and In 1991 I had a fusion (L4-L5-S1) preformed by Dr. James Thomas http://www.makoa.org/scimap.htm which was a result of an unattended birth defect and climaxed when I stooped to pick up a vacuum at work in 1988.
Except for the occasional stiffness due to the lack of exercise or cold weather, I’ve had no real problems with my back; I started driving truck in 1998 (dry van) with occasional loading or unloading when I couldn’t hire someone.
On 06/31/07 while del. Plants in CO. I experienced a “popping” sensation in my low back area while lifting a roll up door on my trailer, after my del. I spent the rest of the day (14hrs.) loading empty plant racks.
After a couple of weeks and an equal # of doctors It was determined that L3 was slipping out and to the right front.
We added L3 to the Fusion by removing all of the old hardware and putting in all new matching pins and screws, the surgery was performed on 04/23/08 by Dr. Michael Trainor of Prescott, AZ. And except for a Dural Tear, http://www.allaboutbackpain.com/html/files_links/spine_complications_dural_tear.html went off without a hitch.
I am however experiencing some pain in my right upper leg and occasional numbing of my right foot. I’ve spoken to Dr. Trainor and when he was in there he found 3-4 pcs. of vertebrae which dad been rubbing the nerves. It’s my understanding nerves are like elec. Wires in that they have a protective coating and if allowed to keep rubbing against bone they will become “Raw” or “Frayed” and will continue to send false signals to the brain causing us to feel pain that may or may not really be there. These nerves sometimes take several weeks to regenerate the protective coating.
I hope this info will help with post surgery frustrations. If your surgeon is not clear with his/her answers than you need to tell them you don’t understand be politely FIRM and there’s always the “NET”.
God Bless and good luck to us all for a speedy and complete recovery…Wes    
I  had back surgery May 31st of this year. I had fusion on L5 removing it all the spine. I was in such pain for YEARS and it was a SO GREAT to be able to WALK without a WALKER. Finally, Back pain was at a minimun. But...right after surgery, MY LEFT LEG WENT NUM, SWELLING. My doctor also said it was normal and would go away. Well, it hasn't YET!! I know its still SOON, but...i am really having a hard time. I had a Venus Doppler done to rule out blood clot, he did say it was so much nerve damage and went so long to have surgery that this would take a while. I have had 4 spinal epiderals. None of them worked. Now, from walking with a limp, my back pain has re-occured. Can't win for losing. Now, don't get me wrong, I THINK I HAVE THE BEST DOCTOR, SURGEION, EVER!! I do everything he asked me too and trust him COMPLETELY!! I just worry about my leg, if it will EVER GO AWAY!! Yes, it is better and i am thankful, but...this keeps me from walking normal, doing any kind of excersing, for when i do its SWELLS SO BIG and it keeps me from doing alot. I don't know what i'm gonna do, i go see my surgeion every 3 weeks now, and he did say last appoitment, may have to go back in, do surgery again. I'm having a Grandbaby in Novemeber, don't really want to do it now but, i will do whatever he says. I KNOW HOW IT IS!! IS IS AWFUL! The leg pain is terrible, but...like otthers have said, it is NOTHING compared to DISKS BEING ON NERVE but....it sure scares me and makes me wonder how long this will go on!!!
I had L5-S1 micro surgery in 2002.  My doctor is the best neurosurgeon in Texas.  I ruptured two discs and he repaired them both.  I walked ttwo miles every day for two months following surgery and MRI showed both had regenerated.  I still have some pain in my left foot and toes but nothing like it was.  My surgeon told me it was due to bruising of the siatic (sciatic) nerve when the discs ruptured.  I cannot even imagine what you are going through with a screw damaging that nerve.  I would consult another surgeon immediately to see if a repair can be done to your fusion.  You will still have pain but not nearly what you must be experiencing now.  Good luck and God Bless.
Girl I have had two back surgeries on L5 S1.. Right after my first surgery I devoped the same symptoms that you did.. My doctor did an MRI and found that a couple of bone fragments had lodged into the nerves from surgery... 7 Days later I had my second surgery...It was wonderful... I have been pain free in my legs and my back since.. I don't know if thats the problem with you or not... It also sounds like it could be your syotic nerve...Good luck and keep posting.. Hope you get better soon...~~Casper
I just had surgery on my cervical spine this last thursday. the doctor said that they would have to fuse vertebre 4 thru 7 of my cervical spine where they would have to take bone from my hip and fuse it to my neck. My problem is that my hip has been draining ever since and only just recently starting draining yellow stuff the last two days. My left hip has been very swollen and painful to the touch. Now I have severe pain up and down my left leg. This is the hip that the doctor took the bone from. I would like very much to know what septis is and what does smoking or not have to do with anything.
On July 8th of 2007 i went in for surgery, I had a lower level disc decompression discectomy on two level's(L4-5 and L5-S1). I had to go back to the hospital four day's later because i was very ill, my doctor ordered my third MRI and CT mylogram,the results of these test's showed that i had four tear's to the dura which led to spinal fluid leakage ( massive headache's and nausea). My doctor was very confused by this and ordered surgery immediatley to correct the tear's. I was in the hospital for another week after the surgery partly because i developed a very bad iilius (bowel ubstruction) due to all the i.v. morphine and other meds they had me on. I was at home for about 12 days when i started feeling sick again, my doctor told me to come in asap! When i arrived he dicovered that i has a major staph infection, he put me in the hopital that day and i had 3 more surgeries in the next 5 day's to clean the infection out, it was so deep they called it a bone infection,all told i was in the hospital 10 day's on this visit. After going home i was placed in the care of a home health agency(which i cannot name at this time) they came to my house and showed me how to do my anti-biotic infusions thru my pic-line. After a few day's i started getting very ill and called the home health nurse to find out what to do, she said she was 5 or 6 hour's away from me and i should go to the E.R..I went to the E.R. and they gave me the all of the normal stuff(regalin,finagrin,etc) and i started to feel better so i was sent home. I had lunch and was feeling a little better, but when i did my 2 o'clock infusion i got sick immediatley so i called the home health nurse back, she called my doctor's office and they informed her to come see me,she did not,instead she told me that if the anti-biotics were making me so sick that i should stop taking them,so i did as she requested,and i started feeling better almost immediatley. The next day my doctor's office called to follow up with me and i informed them i was feeling better because i stop the anti-biotics, they were very up set with me and told me to come back in right then. Upon arriving at the hospital my doctor discovered that because i had been off the infection meds for three day's i developed septisemia(infection in the blood due to the infection spreading) once again my doctor put me back in the hospital right then where i stayed for 6 day's recieving massive amount's of anit-biotics to get the infection back under control. Upon being released from this hospital(my doc believed the infection was under control again)they sent me to a re-hab facility ( i had no choice in this) I was in the facility for 6 weeks,3 of which i had a vac-pump attached to me 24 hour a day sucking out fluids. When i was released from the re-hab facility i went home and was still on about 11 different medication's, i was home from the hospital for 3 weeks when i got very ill again and had to go back to the hospital for 4 more day's due to complictions from so many medications(very low potassium,very dehydrated and malnurished). Finnaly after a few more weeks under the supervision of my infectious disease doc i started feeling better and today i am ok. They still say i may have to have a fusion in the near future(no way if i can help it). I like most of you suffer greatly and daily from nerve pain in my right leg, the most annoying of which is the numbness in my thigh and down into my toe's, with spasm's that can still send me to my knee's, but i hope to do all that i can to deal with these issue's on my own with a healthy diet and as much excersise as my broken body will allow. My story is kind of a horror story(the worst case scenario if you will) so again i say my thought's and prayer's go out to you all and i pray each of you get better soon, sincerely, david............
I had a Lumbar Disectomy & Spinal Fusion of my L5 / S1 on August 18th. The recovery took about 8 weeks, and for every good day, I would suffer about 2-3 days of excruciating pain where I couln't even walk up or down the stairs. Now, nearly 6 months later, I have more bad days than good. I have so much pain in my right leg, starting with numbness in my right glute down to my right foot. I also have a new pain in the middle of my back, almost feels like a cramping charley horse pain. I can't sit or stand for more than 30 minutes. Short walking distances make for a restless night with severe leg pains. I used to walk 2-4 miles everyday before the surgery, now I can't handle much more than a circle around the block. I can't handle the narcotics anymore and stopped taking them 3 weeks after the surgery. My surgeon says I need a 2nd surgery to remove one of the pins. I was laid of last week and my insurance ends at the end of this month. Which means no insurance for the 2nd surgery. Not sure what to do next. I'm 38, single parent and this back surgery has put me into financial ruin.
im a 37 year old female suffering for many years with Degenerated Discs. Many minor treatments to start injections, therapy, IDET etc. Got to the point couldnt handle the back pain anymore. Surgery completed on February 23,2010 woke up and wanted to worship the ground my spinal sugeon walked on till about 6 hours post op.I had an ALIF(anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) L4-5 L5-S1. Incision is just like a Csection.However, 6 hours post op my belly began to get large. Nurse tells me oh darlin you got some gas you will be fine(pss umm i am a nurse myself, info i didnt share with them)I knew i didnt have gas.I began to have serous abdominal pain and finally got another shift nurse to llisten and look at my belly and yep you got it i was fillin up with blood. Needless to say back into surgery #2 and blood transfusion d/t the large amount of blood i lost.In recovery i had begin to feel horrible pain from my right gluteal area all the way down my leg into my ankle.I was in ICU for some time and discharged home from ICU that Sunday the 28th. im using a walker no strength really upset an down. i see my surgeon for my follow up this monday the 8th and i know im gonna hear oh you just had surgery it will go away. my question has this happen to others, does it go away, and are there suggestions to help with relief. Im takin Valium for a muscle relaxer, Vicodin ES for pain nothing helps tho.my back pain  is totally gone im so excited, of couse i have to be gentle till i heal or it does hurt cuz of the hardware i have 4 titanium screws used,please help. i got to get back to work ASAP and a normal life.
i am 30 years old was in a car accident in april of 09 had surg sept 22 09 had a interbody fusion 4 rods 2 cages and 6 screws l4-s1, i still am in so much pain that goes through my hips legs and ankles feet..does it get any better i had a mri show the 2 disc above it are now bulging and nothing seems to help any advice i dont sleep much cause the pain and the meds dont help
Hi there,  I am 38 and had 7 years of back problems I have had an interbody fusion, but not so many rods and screws in 2008.  It takes almost 4-6 months just for the pain to generally subside and you to feel like you can just about "get through the day".    Even then, your pain will greatly increase if the weather is cold and any stress, emotional or physical is experienced.  The soft tissue  and nerve healing takes an EXTREMELY LONG TIME and you can be tender and painful for the better part of 1 year.  I am now 1 yr 7 months from surgery (my second),  I had a collapse 6 weeks after my first surgery and the recovery time I noted with more impediments, takes longer.  It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for you to have a support structure, basically someone on hand for the the first 6 months to do almost everything for you, I didnt and hence had to have a second surgery.  The next concern is that if the above two discs are bulging then your surgeon must make a decision based on your pain levels and the meds you are taking, particularly if you are not getting any pain relief, if to operate again.  I must warn you though that if they decide to operate again, your second surgery can get very complicated.  I lost alot of blood and had to have a transfusion in my second surgery due to the first set of impediments grafting into my nerves and muscle and going back into that area causes ALOT OF TRAUMA, hence the longer recovery time.  I can say though, having gone through a traumatic 2nd surgery, I am walking and very much on the mend, and now looking forward to starting back work in a hopefully a few months.  
1.  If you have a lot of burning, it is the nerves, put ice which give relief it also aids the healing of the nerves.
2.  A hot water bottle also helps
2.  When on the bed prop pillows properly on the your back and to the left and right of you so your movement is restricted during sleep, this is very important as it helps prevent injury to the nerves, the tissue and shifting of the impediments and lastly for comfort.
3.  If you have not been prescribed  muscle relaxants, GET SOME.  it gives great relief in conjunction with pain meds and will aid sleep.
4.  Make up your mind that office work is out of the question for the next 2 years, and house work out for the next year or so - none of this is important, your health is.
5.  Dont lift anything, dont pull anything, and be careful twisting and bending.

I hope this helps, I truly do wish you better, as I have shed enough tears over the years with the level pain I experienced and know what you are going through
Hi everyone, Oh my god. Im now really afraid after reading all the stories of your post op pain.
I had a L4 fusion with a cage, rods and screws only 14 day's ago.
6 days post op i started experiencing strange feelings in my right foot then pain in my right calf followed by my thigh and hip the next day, now every day and night its so bad im climbing the wall's. im on Tramadol and its barley touching it.I can't even stand for longer than one min in one spot because of the pain, im so scared it will not go!!!! The hospital just told me to carry on like normal once i had my back brace on!!! and that it should go. does anyone know how much exercise you should be doing ie walking.  I know i should not lift or bend but i feel im in this blind.  has anyone experienced this pain in right leg post op that had gone after a period of time, if so please let me know for my sanity!!!
Sending everyone healing Debbie xxx
Hi Alison
I was sorry to read your story but im the in the position now after having a lumber 4 cage rods and screws fitted. the pain developed after 10days leaving my just short of going crazy, im on tramalol, ibrufen and paracetamol only just lifting the pain 50% i cant sleep or stop moving my leg, its itching, stabbing, crawling, the pain is so bad. i see you wrote your story in 2007 what was the outcome, no one seems to write the outcomes.
Many kind regards Debbie
I had a distectomy around L4/L5 to remove the pressure on the right sciatica nerve in December '09. I'm 28 years old. It was emergency surgery as I arrived at the surgeons office in a dire state having spent a week without eating and sleeping and just screaming with pain. At the time, I really had no other choice but to have the surgery. Since then I have been Lyrica tablets for residual sciatica pain down the right leg. I tried to wean down on it, but this failed. After about 6 months, when I wasn't improving and going back to a normal, drug-free life I went back to my G.P. I had lost faith in my surgeon and wanted to go back to basics...i then had 3 epidural injections, which also failed. But worryingly what has been happeneing for the psat 10 months are terrifying leg spasms in right leg. All I have to do to set one of these spasms off rotate my right foot anti-clockwise [which often happens unknowingly when I'm asleep] and i go into an excrutiating spasm. I can feel twitch twitch twitch of the nerve in right leg...then lock....my muscles lock and the pulsating pain in the leg is unbearable. I usually can't breathe during these episodes because of the severity of the pain, and i just hope and pray they will pass. I have been to so many specialists in various fields at this point that I feel I could be qualified as a medic myself! To date, nobody has been able to solve the problem. I'm terrified of the spasms, what happens if one happens while I'm driving for exampe? My life is very difficult since the surgery and it's easy to get depressed when you don't see an end in sight. What I fail to understand is how someone cannot determine exactly what it is and a course of action, given that so many people suffer from a similiar condition. Judging by all the posts on here, many people have been given the 'long-way-round' towards a solution and I can't see why some medical person somewhere hasn't come up with a solution? Perhaps they have and I have yet to find it, if you've found a solution, I'd be so grateful for help!
My wife had undergone spinal fusion(L5-S1) 10 days ago..After the surgery an unusual numbness developed on her left leg and even the 3 toes..Her surgeon said everyhting will be alright but it will take time...After reading these posts now i'm bit scared whether it would go or not!!!..she be able to walk like normal person...i hav so much worries...As some of the post desribes it could be related to nurve demage...then if somthng like tht happen how can ve diagnose tht and wht is the best treatment for tht..and let me clarify tht how long normaly people take to walk properly after the spinal inplant....
God bless u all...wishing u all a speedy recovery...
hussain
I had 3 surgeries in 13 months. Front and post cervical spine (C3-C7/ C3-T1) and post lumbar (L4-5-S1) all with fusions. My neck is still feels sift and I experience a lot of muscle pain as well. My lower back is still in a lot of pain as well...even after 7 months. I was discharged from physical therapy because they could not justify having me there...they say I know all the exercises already and they cannot help me anymore…even though what they were doing twice a week was really helping. My pain is still intense and at time I do not know anymore what to do. When I lay down it's sometimes it gets worse. I still take Oxicodene sometimes up to 6 pills a day. I am a Kindergarten teacher and my job is very physical...bending and twisting constantly. I read your posts and they are not to promising. My X-rays show liquid in my spine and my doctor thinks that the pain is coming from scar tissue. Anybody experienced this as well? I will have an MRI again next week.
I had an accident in 2008, tv was dropped ontop of me, unfortunately I was arched backwards looking up and the tv crushed my spine. I had a prior laminectomy L4, L5 in 2003. My discs were no shape for this accident. The largest herniated one L5 impacted my nerve. I went in for ER surgery. The spasms were like my legs being unscrewed from my body. Surgery was a blessing. Dr. said he saved me, I could still walk, but not without muscle spasms, feeling of rocks in my feet, twisted ankles, buttocks lock up, i.e. He said it was the nerve and it would take time. was determined to get better, i got worse. Went to pain mgmt, he said I had spinal stenosis, arthritis, degenerative disc disease and the back of an 85 yr old man. I had injections for the scar tissue, injections of steroids, i.e (6 in a yr) 11 medications. Physical Therapy made me worse. I ended up with a medtronics neurostimulator spinal implant, which works great on my muscle spasms. I love this machine. However, my upper back started acting up and got worse and worse. I had 7 MRIs, EMT, and another opinion. He recommended surgery. He said i had disc fragments pressing into the nerve, in several places. And why no one had seen it in my MRI. He showed me. But for the surgery he would first have to remove all disc fragments from the nerve and then he would have to do a spinal fusion since there was no discs left supporting my back. Well here I am 6 wks later after interbody spinal fusion and my right leg now has locked up into spasms just like before. I turn my neurostimulator on and pray that he will tell me on Wed this is not forever and the nerve is repairing itself. I walk when I can, and I get worse and worse till my legs and back are completely locked up. Its been a nightmare,you are not alone. I don't really know more until Wed....I am not giving up. I am 49.
I am 3 weeks post-up L5-S1 lumbar and my legs are killing me. None of the meds help. Doc said, "It's good. The nerves are waking up". Dear God. I want them to go back to sleep. I cannot stand this pain. Any ideas? Is this normal?
i am 4weeks post-op thank you to every one who has posted on here it has helped me understand that im not the only one going thourght this. I had fusion L4/5 the pain going down my left leg is unbearable can anybody tell me how long this will last and give me some tips on how to help with pain im taking neurotin 3 times a day plus oxycotin & percoset are there any positions to set or exercizes i could do thanks for your help.
I had a lumbar lamanectomy about a month ago on L4-L5. The numbness and tingling in one leg is finally gone. However my left leg is a different story. After 3 weeks my back pain went away and I felt well enough to go back to work and start physical therapy on the same day. BIG MISTAKE. I went to physical therapy on Monday and Tuesday morning my leg gave out of me and I almost fell. Every since then the pain has gradually gotten worse. I went back to the physical therapist on Thursday. He thought that I may have pulled my hamstring muscle and told me to stop some of the exercises and alternate heat and ice on my leg. Ok, Friday night I went out to dinner with my family. This was the first time all year that I have done this. As soon as my leg hit that booth my leg went crazy. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my leg.(this was the leg that they "fixed". I had to move to the outside of the booth and sit sideways in order to eat my meal and left in tears. I was five seconds from going to the emergency room. I took 1000mg of anti inflammatories, muscle relaxer and Vicoden. UMM...that did not help. All weekend I have taken the medicine, sat on ice, sat on heat. My leg is hurting so bad I can not sit on the toilet. It's like it locks up in my hip and shots God awful pain down my thigh behind my leg and into my foot. My back surgeon is on vacation. His PA called me a steroids pack and wants to see me in a week, I can hardly sit without wanting to scream. It is not a hamstring injury unless it's that along with nerve pain. I also have taken 1300 mg a day of Gabapentin a day for 8 months. None of this medicine helps. I have gradually built up a pretty high threshold of pain as I suffer from Migraines and 2 tears in my rotator cuff. It has taken me year and half to get this back surgery. While I am thankful that the pain in my back itself is gone. What in God's name is wrong with my leg. Its hurts 20 times worse right now than it did before I had surgery. The spams in my hip going down the back of my leg is killing me. I sure hope the steroids kick in soon. Anyone have any ideas?
My husband had a l4-5 interbody fusion with cage device,and a l4-s-1 fusion,on the same day in January 2011.What a couple of months,I really think,before people have back surgery,they should see a therapist.His back feels great ,no pain at all,but his right leg,he wants to chop it off.The pain,pins and needles,spasms and numbness is horrible,Now some days are good,but very few.We both hope this gos away,LIKE the docs say it will.Would he have had this surgery,if he new this.NO WAY.As the wife,I was so stressed,lacking sleep,from him moaning all night,nothing I could do.hopefully this will subside
6 week ago I had a micro disectomy  on  l4 &5 with a fusion and a cage.  I also had a fusion on l 3 & l 4 with a cage.and a spinal decompressioin. I now  have severe pain in the lt. gluteal area that frequently feels like my leg will not hold me up.  now I am back to using a cane and taking Demerol for pain.  will this ever go away? I am doing water physical therapy twice a week with no improvxement.  Help.
I just had a lumbar laminoplasty on my L4 L5 2 weeks ago. After I had came home from the hospital I started having horrible pains in my hips and thighs. My surgeon keeps pushing me to get up and walk around, so that I do. The pain has minimized drastically and I feel much better. I'm only 23 years of age, mabey it could be the age that matters most. But I encourage others,if possible to move around as much as possible even if it hurts. I feel for folks who have severe back problems. Keep your head up and Godbless.
hi,
I had microdiscectomy done on L5 due to a slip disc problem. Immediately after the surgery, I felt that my right leg middle and 4th finger numb. It has not improved over an year after surgery. I have no back pain what-so-ever but I feel pressure on my right feet if I do any strenous work. Overall, the numbness is very annoying as I can dance, trek or even walk for more than 30 mins.

Have u recovered from the numbness?

Regards,
Ann
hi,
I had microdiscectomy done on L5 due to a slip disc problem. Immediately after the surgery, I felt that my right leg middle and 4th finger numb. It has not improved over an year after surgery. I have no back pain what-so-ever but I feel pressure on my right feet if I do any strenous work. Overall, the numbness is very annoying as I CAN'T dance, trek or even walk for more than 30 mins.

Have u recovered from the numbness?

Regards,
Ann
I had L5 S/1 disc replaced in 07'. In 08' I developed this nasty leg pain in my left leg. Annoying as hell. Couldn't sleep or sit at rest. Told docs about it and they said nothing that helped. So in June 11' I had my screws and rods taking out due to pain. Now 3 months later the pain in my legs is outta control. I've had Every Medication in the book and nothing has helped. Been there done that with P/T. Looking for some relief. PLZ ZZZZ HELP.
I had a Lamanectomy on my L5S1. Shortly after the surgery My left leg started to hurt ( That leg never had problems before). My doctor told me I needed to take Methylpred(Methyplrednisolone)X6 days and to take the Neuronton that was given to me before the surgery. It did not help . I now have pain in both legs and my toes on my right foot are going numb. I just wonder if the pain before the surgery would have been easier to deal with than this. Allthough no Doctor will ever tell you that you may come out worse that you were before. I was told the pain in my leg (right one) would be all gone and I could walk right after surgery and have complete reliefe. lol whatever. I go to the DR on the 23rd so let see what happens. reading all your stories Im not so sure I have much hope. good luck to all . :)
Did you ever get any relief?  My mom is in severe pain and I can't find anyone to help her.  Please email me at chris.***@****.  Thank you.
Although there seems to be some good info here, I can't find anything recent or any follow up!  My husband just had lumbar fusion and is experiencing the "want to cut my leg off" pain some others spoke of.  He feels betrayed by his doctors because they don't seem to want to do anything about his pain.  I hope your mom is okay and has gotten some relief.  It breaks my heart to see him like this, maybe it would have been better not to have had this surgery.  He still gets up and walks because I ask him to, this is just awful!
I am 5 months post L5 S1 Alif spine surgery for degenerative disc disease and sciatica nerve pain from the tailbone, buttocks, hips, and thighs.  For the first 2 weeks, my back felt great and I was up walking without any problems. However; I began experiencing severe calf cramps and soreness to the touch, especially while standing.  The 3rd week my thighs began aching.  A couple of weeks following, tingling on the top of my feet and burning under and at the heels began.  At my 6 week follow up dr. Appt, I told my doctor of the discomfort I was feeling and he didn't understand why.  He took a x-Ray and it looked great. I've been on 50mcg Fentanyl patch and 600mg of Gabapentin prior to Surgery with little relief.  My 4 month follow up appt.  I had the same complaint.  Another x-Ray was taking and the fusion looks great.  He said my nerves were stretched in the replacement of the disc and it will take time to heal.  However; I still cannot sit more than 10 minutes or stand 20 minutes without experiencing sciatic nerve pains of burning, numbness, leg pains, and calf cramps and soreness.  After reading numerous of posts on this surgery, I've realized that this is common as nerves has been irritated, agitated, stretched or
damaged.  Every patient heals differently.  I've read healing in 6 to 2yrs to no relief at all.  I too, as many am grateful for the relief of the chronic low back pain, but I get depressed, irritable, agitated, and impatient during this healing process.  You were right about making your husband walk.  Physical therapy and daily walking is a necessity to avoid muscle stiffness.  Heat and/or cold pack.  A body massage will relax him and release the tension and stress in his body from the pain.  It helps me.   It helps with prayer and talking to other patients with the same experiences and feelings.  I use to feel like something was wrong with me and that I was going through this alone.  I know you feel helpless, but just being there and trying the techniques mentioned will help.  These types of posts is a wonderful avenue for sharing, encouraging, supporting, and being a blessing to one another.  Though the road seems long, hard, and weary at times, we all are
truly blessed.  It could be worst.  He woke up from the anesthesia, he's not paralyzed or wheel-chaired bound.  I know it's hard to see someone, who you love suffer or in pain, but it's a great comfort, as a patient, to have someone to care, love, supportive, and encouraging.  So take care of your
man! and be blessed. If ever you or anyone need someone to talk to or prayer, please feel free to contact me. (***@****)

If you or any other persons need a listening ear or prayer, please feel free at anytime

lost our bodily control of bladder functions, etc.  Be encouraged, encourage others, and thank God daily for your healing as you go through the process.
Hey everyone im 21 and i just had surgery on my L5 on march 5th. The but rods n everythin else also. About a week later i started haveing knee pain in my left knee went to the dr 3 times about it but i never got to see him and hiS nurses keep on telling me oh theres nothing wrong or it was normal. So before my app. On may 2nd my mom called n said we went to see the dr. Well we did. He did xrays n said well i dont think your L3 is getting better. He told me by haveing my L5 done then it would make my L3 stronger so im guessing it didnt he sent me for a MRI but now he wont tell me the results to it even tho he told me to call. So on i have to wait til june 4th for them. Im just hopeing nothings wrong i really dont want to go tho surgery again.
Thank you for sharing cause I'm in tears.  I had surgery on June 20 2012 and realized I had an issue like this and didn't understand why. Now it is12 days later still have pain, but, have visit with doctor on July 3rd 2012 and will express my concerns and also let him know I have some understanding of what's going on.  We'll see, I quess, tomorrow he will X-RAY and make a determination.  Sure hope I don't need to go under again.
K-bear
I read most of the posts here, and am not happy to see so much pain; However, I do feel more comfortable that I am not alone.  Before I write a novel, I must test this site to make sure my post will "post". lol :)  *ok, it works*

I am a 36 year old female, single mother, also had a rare type of spina bifida - which never bothered me until I was hurt on the job.  Actually, I had two injuries at work - both in March of 2009.  The company I worked for did not want to take responsibility for it.  So, let's brief on that note for a sec...

I was not allowed to work b/c of my injury, I had no money, and was very stressed out.  At the time, my son was only two years old.  Just him and I.  In order to pay rent and bils I sold everything I had.  Furniture, dishes, musical instraments, etc.  I let my car go (repo), I ruined my credit due to HAVING NO MONEY.  Today, it's more than three years later.  I've owned two business in the past, and now I am living in a low-income apartment, driving my old 1996 Chevy Tahoe, and instead of a couch in my living room, I now have a hospital bed in its place.  Don't get me wrong, I am a very positive person.  I actually love my little apartment.   My 5 year old son is as sweet as could be.  I have great family and friend support, etc.  I dye my own hair, which is a lot cheaper, I gave up the pink'n'white nails, gave up the iPhone, decreased my living expences, wear hand me downs and shop at thrift stores.  And, it's okay - It's really not dramatic.

What IS dramatic is that I couldn't get any support from my insurance company and they dropped me.  I had to apply for Medi-Cal, Food Stamps and Cash Aid (the total and complete opposite of Rags To Riches).

Being young, I didn't think this back injury was going to be permenant.  Boy was I sure wrong!  Fast forward to the past two months here in 2012:

I finally decided to have surgery.  I just couldn't take the pain anymore.  I had surgery at UC Davis in Sacramento, CA with Dr. J. Paul Muizelaar.  Nice Dutch man.  I asked a lot of questions as far as what type of side effects were possible, the probability of the side effects, etc.  Both my surgeon and my PCP (totally different company) mainly focused on the pain level.  They said there really is only a 50% chance the pain would subside.  As someone who has pain at the level of 7-10 on a daily basis, I would be okay with a 3-4 pain level.  I would be happy with that.  Nobody ever talked about numbness.

Surgery date: July 14, 2012

I woke up and felt as if I had just been administered an epidural, as in the type you get when you give birth.  I was numb from the waste down.  The hospital was empty at the time.  Just me, a couple of nurses and a few visitors.  I expressed my concern to the nurse and asked when I could walk.   She said, "You can walk whenever you want - your orders state it's up to you, but you cannot use a walker."  Ok, how the **** am I suppose to walk without a walker when my legs are NOT WORKING.  So, I got out of bed and held on to the rail and my legs looked like spaghetti.  I could tell my mom was  not happy with this suggestion of "No Walker".  I crawled back to bed and just stayed there.  

Finally got my own room and the numbness was really irritating.  It also hurt.  It really hurt.  I had pins and needles in my feet (top and bottom), my calves (mostly posterially), my thighs, my butt, my vagina, and up to my hips.  I expressed my concern to each nurse - their shifts changing at 7:00 am everyday.  A doctor came in to ask about my progress, then another one, then another one... and each had a different answer: "This is normal, and this is why we schedule your post-op appt 3 weeks out so the numbness will disipate by then." - "This is NOT normal," and turned to the nurse on duty, "you need to keep a close eye on her".  And a few answers in between.  

I was given NO INSTRUCTIONS UPON DISCHARGE. My medications are a mess, my left foot I cannot feel.  My legs go completly numb if I stand more than 1.5 hours... (I went to the mall the other day - big ******* mistake - thank god I brought my walker).  I have a list of questions for my doctor(s) - the surgeon AND my PCP.  I will report back to this forum to tell you all what they said about all of my questions.  

I didn't even know if I was allowed to have sex, but I did.  13 days post op.  It was gental, light and mellow, keeping my positioning very comfortable and relaxed.  But, they never said "no".  Then I read online that people are not allowed to have sex for MONTHS!  I started crying.  My "new man" was so sweet and just hugged me.

The positives are that I have great help from family and friends. My best friend is unemployed and was approved to move into the low-income apartments I live in and she will be my neighbor.  I know "low income" sounds bad, but it's ina really nice area, Cameron Park, CA.  We are in the foothills with views of Sacramento and the Sierra Mountains (we are in the foothills of the Sierras).  I love my apartment, I'm excited for my son to start soccer next week and then kindergarten the following week.  

Like I said, I will tell everyone here what the doctors said.  But, I have a question for all of you: How long can you sit, stand, etc?  I can sit for only about 20 minutes and stand for only about an hour.  Does anyone out there use a walker?  Or am I just a big dork at the age of 36 with my neon blue walker?

Thanks for listening to my story and thank you for sharing all of your personal stories as well.   ~ Chef DMC
I feel the same way, about the clot.  But, I think it is more just the numbness and pain at the thigh.  You're not alone.
I too have the numbness.... everywhere.  Well, waste down.  Mostly thighs, butt, foot.  But at first, even my privates were totally numb.  I've heard it could be because the nerves were being moved around and are swollen.  I hear this symptom is suppose to subside, but it ***** b/c we cannot take Motrin or any anti-inflamtories b/c it decreases bone growth.  So, the inflamation (inflammation) and swelling at the surgery site, I'm sure is causing the numbness, some pain, etc.  I will ask my doctor this week and post for ya here.  Hope you feel better!!!!!!!  Hang in there.
Most doctors are not trained in pain management.  I would do your research and find a pain mgt doctor right away.  Living with pain when you don't have to is just WRONG!  Those of us with spinal issues should not be put in the same catagory as someone off the street walking into an ER seeking some pain meds to get high.  I was treated like this for a long time.  I was acutally completely off pain meds for over a year b/c I could not find a doctor who believed my pain.  Ask around - get a good pain mgt doctor and go from there.  You need something that relieves your pain throughout the day and IN ADDITION, try other things like spinal injections (sounds worse than it is), hot tub, swimming, physical therapy, etc.  In the hospital, after my surgery, I was in so much pain and they wouldn't give me anymore meds... I said, "Can I get an ice pack?"  The oldest trick in the book, and they didn't even offer it.  It relieved my pain a little - from a 10 to an 8.5ish.  Make a list of things you want an take it to your doctor.
Don't mean to laugh, but I too have the outer three toes that are numb on both feet.  Know she's not alone.  Get her better soon. :)
I know the pain he speaks of.  I always elevate my legs at night.  I was lucky enough to get a hospital bed in my house - but you can use other things like pillows and wedges.  For me, the elevation helps me a lot.
Thanks for the advice.  I'd like to add some suggestions which may have worked for me.  I had a slipped disc on L4, severe spinal stenosis, arthritis, for who knows how long. I'm 72 yrs old.  It finally became painful to do anything for 5 months, even with an epidural, unless I was on 1800mg Ibuprofen daily. Finally, I was able to have lumbar fusion and laminectomy on L4/L5. About 6 wks before the surgery, I was told to drink an ounce or 2 of Noni Juice (made in Hawaii). I still take it daily. You can find it on the website. I also mildly exercised my back and leg muscles, and lifted 2 lb weights to strengthen my arms. I ate healthy and had adequate sleep. Every night I prayed to God for inner strength to get me through the ordeal.  It also helped to know my son and his wife were flying to Honolulu to help me for a couple of weeks, as I live along.  My 3 hr surgery was on 7/20 and I was able to walk the day after.  On the 2nd night, I had pain in my right knee, so spent an extra day in the hospital.  Doc ordered Ibuprofen for the knee pain, and Hydrocodone for the incisions and pain in my upper right hip (where they chipped some bone for the cage).  After a week of taking both meds, I gradually gave up the Hydrocodone, and after 2.5 weeks, off all meds except for an occasional Tylenol at night for mild pain in the upper hip and knee. I've been walking as much as possible , although since my son's family left, I'm mostly on my own.  Had to cancel the newspaper, and minimize opening my heavy oak front door to empty trash and get the mail, although I was doing that a couple of times a day.  Have to wait for my other son or sister to help me on weekends for grocery shopping, getting clothes in and out of washer & dryer, cleaning bathroom, etc.  I got a handpicker (or whatever) to pick up light items, and sometimes use my toes.  Have to be careful about bending or twisting. Hope to try driving soon. Will have x-ray and see neurosurgeon in a couple of weeks.  Hope the x-ray shows the bone is fusing, as I may have overexerted myself opening my heavy front door and other doors in our condo bldg. So what I want to emphasize is to get healthy before your surgery, lose weight so you can lift yourself off the bed (I used the back of a folding chair next to the bed), eat healthy, take vitamins, exercise, etc.  Prayers help if you're religious.  And get some help for the first few weeks.  My family rearraged my kitchen and bathroom shelves.  Here's wishing all of you well who are  about to have back surgery. I'm writing this because I didn't have any info on what to expect after surgery.  I thought I woud be bedridden for a month, as I listened to what others went through.  It depends on each inidividual. God bless you.  
hi all, i had surgery of L5s1 on 12/12/2011 and back pain vanish but came back again, most of all numbness n burning sensation in hips thighs n butt.all my genitial were numb i have cathetar on for 2 months to pass urine  n still difficult to do so n constipation + no bowl control, my neurosurgeons have no answer for my quries all they say is its normal n will go away. than i found pain mgt doctor he advised me for facet joint injection n it helped me a lot + going for IDD Therapy after which i was able to stand n walk on completation 20 sessions now i fell much better in regards to pain but i have numbness n tigling on right thigh  and burning  circle sensation. i take lyrica 150mg twice to aid sleep. its now 10months post surgery n i resume my work  but every 45 minutes i need too stand n walk else i feel  burn in my butt , hope all my bothers n sister tolerating same issues might get courage  and get well soon. oh....... take omega3 its good for nerve recovery. God Bless
First, I apologize for the length of this post but hope it is worth reading.  I am 56 year-old woman and had my first emergency lumbar laminectomy/discectomy at L5/S1 in June 2011 when my left leg collapsed on me.  I was put into the hospital the same day with surgery 2 days later. My MRi showed that my L5 disc was so huge it was wrapped around my S-1 nerve compressing it flat and that I had degenerative disc disease throughout my lumbar spine.  I also had unbelievable amounts of electrical activity going down my left leg which felt like sparklers traveling down the back of the leg and bursting in my foot.  After surgery, I was in hospital and rehab for 4 weeks.  My left foot was numb from second toe to pinky and top and bottom of my foot, had tingling and burning in foot going up to knee, numbness in back of leg from ankle to buttocks and severe pain down back of leg (the exact location of my electrical bursts).  My surgeon indicated that it would take time for S1 to regenerate-at least 6 months to year.  Did PT, pool therapy, nerve and pain meds, etc.  By Sept. 2011 I was not getting better and was experiencing additional issues.  In Nov. surgeon suggested another lumbar MRI which showed pieces of my disc had broken off and were laying against S1 and compressing it again-surgeon said he needed to go in to remove these and rest of disc.  Underwent second lumbar surgery on Dec. 9, 2011 and dr. also found scar tissue had formed around the S1 nerve.  I stayed in rehab until Jan. 14.  This brought on new issues besides all the tingling, burning, numbness, electrical bursts and leg pain-I now developed tremors and muscle spasms in the left leg, and tingling and burning in right foot and more medication was added to the mix.  I will tell you all that the pain from this is 24/7-never let's up.  It is driving me crazy and I am unable to sit, stand or walk for any good amount of time-nightime and trying to sleep is extremely difficult-my leg cramps up terribly and I have constant electrical bursts throughout leg and foot-even meds do not help-doctor said these are my nerves misfiring from the damage I have sustained.  All of this is a form of neuropathy-surgeon finally told me that if my issues have not cleared by now, they are most likely permanent.  I was actually relieved that he was upfront with me and I was no longer waiting for something that was not going to happen.  I was unable to return to my office job of 31 years and am now unemployed.  If this weren't enough, in April 2012 I started experiencing pain in my neck, shoulders and arms, my fingers and hands were numb and tingling and I was having daily headaches.  I mentioned this to my surgeon during a follow-up appt and he suggested I get a cervical MRI.  The results horrified me-I had disc herniations at 4 levels that were already severely compressing into my spinal cord at C4-C6 along with bone spurs and severe foraminal stenosis-I didn't have to be a doctor to know that this was not good.   Surgeon told me that I needed an anterior cervical fusion at 2 levels-C4-C6 and that it probably would not fix anything that I was currently feeling but that it would prevent future paralysis that was sure to happen.  All my other doctors who saw this MRI all concurred that I needed surgery and that I was too far beyond anything else fixing this.  I underwent cervical surgery in May 2012, the third within a year.  As the doctor indicated, I am still left with numb and tingling hands and fingers. This ordeal has left me in shock and has taken a toll on my life and relationships. I am now trying to figure out how to live my life moving forward.  I can no longer work, drive, go out by myself, enjoy social situations because of the constant and never-ending pain.  The symptoms are so much worse at night and sleeping is difficult even with meds.  I am now on a path to discover anything that might help.  I am seeing pain management doctors, therapist, considering biofeedback, acupuncture, pool therapy-anything at all.  I do know that I can no longer feel sorry for myself and hope that something will change.  Someone once told me that if you can't change the situation, you have to change your attitude and this is challenging but I am trying.  My situation is not life-threatening but life-altering and for that I am thankful.  Good luck to all of us who have had our lives altered from this.
hi, i had similar issues and i saw a pain mgt doc and he advice me for IDD therapy n now in 32 session most of my pain has gone say 85%. i take Lyrica 150mg /day which relives me from tingling pain.hope this will be helpful for you ............God Bless
HI I am so sorry to read your story...  whatever happened?  did your leg pain ever go away? did u have the leg pain before surgery?

I am 4 weeks post op back fusion surgery XLIF just a cage inserted into L-4/L-5 and then a clamp on my back bones.. the pain in my legs is worse now than before surgery.. I have many areas of numbness, and I have burning and numbness on my upper rgt leg..  I had had a discemoty on same location back early 90's and have lived on pain pills for the past 4 yrs and therapy and steirod injections... I got 8 surgeon opinions this year and went with the less evasive surgery.. I thought how could adding a spacer/cage hurt..  it has to help well so far I feel I am worse off now than before..  

Please reply looking forward to hear what has happened to you now
i had surgery L5 s1,,,my pain was due to a shift of my vertebrae therefore pressing on sciatic nerve. my surgeon put in a titanium spacer and used it as a compression n decompression. the spacer was used to push up but also to pull sideways...thats why its considered both compress and decompres. Immediately after the surgery...the original pain was gone. No more nerve burn tingling fromm hip down to foot. I only had pain in surgucal site (normal) but after 3 wks I started 2 feel the pain cming back and thought i did smthing wrong even though i followed all dr orders. i wear a custom brace when not in bed n nd 3 for 4 to 6 months. Dr. said no twisting or bending' during my 1rst post op...no complaints really...2nd i was in some pain n dr said that the friction on the nerve that was going on prior 2 surgery needs to heal due to constant friction...kinda like if u keep scrapping your skin with smthing sharp over n over again...the pain dsnt stop bc u stop scrapping at it...it needs 2 heal n can smtimes inflame. also lack of stretching dsnt help...so i hope thats what it is. makes sense. I take everything 2 help spead up recovery. was told lots of protein from red meat. body needs good nutrition 2 heal. when im not hungry i drink ensure and eat lots of anti inflam foods such as berries. tons of supp. fish oil b6 b12 L-glutamine glucosamine chondroitin d-3 iron multi probiotics lots of vit c...im still in pain but not as much. surg was done dec 10th 2012, so to early to tell...also...for u women...if u r still nenstruation the added inflammation may add to pain so take notice if thats the case. the oxycodone 10mg help n i will take 1 in the morn n 1 at night if i nd 2. its not excessive n i refuse 2 deal with the pain. if 4 months in... im still in pain then i expect smthing is wrong unless dr sees smthing wrong thats not part of the pain from healing. remember...this is spine surg not root canal but knw ur body and go with ur intuition n trust ur dr unless u hve reason not 2....OK FOR YOU WHO NEEDS A 2ND SURG N WILL HVE NO INSURANCE TO COVER,,,,IM PRETTY SURE THAT IF U CONTINUE WITH COBRA WHICH MAY COST A BIT...ITS FAR LESS THEN SURG COST. LOOK INTO THAT...IT SHLD HVE BEEN OFFERED BY UR EMPLOYER 2 CONT COVERAGE CUZ IF U DNT KEEP COV N THERE IS A GAP...UR NXT COV MAY NOT COVER WHEN U GET A NEW JOB CUZ IT MAY BE CONSIDERED PRE EXSISTING. HVE THE SURG. YOUR PAIN IS NOT WORTH DEALING WITH N MONEY WILL MEAN NOTHING IF UR I PAIN. UR FELLOW SURG SUFFERER
Dexamethasone steroids are a corticosteroid has any body been put on this post op from lumber surgery?  10 weeks post op And a week 1/2 ago I've been off of them. Was on them 8 days and I felt and still feel weird. Nervous jittery, can't sleep feel And look puffy. Weird thing is I feel more puffy in my face and neck than really am. At first I. Could not eat enough food and went to the bathroom every hour to pee because I drank so much fluid. My mouth was dry like the desert. Could not and still can't recover. I'd rather be in this pain without those drugs. I had a revision surgery on my L5-S1,2,3 & a new fusion on L4
Had drop in foot immediately after surgery so after 10 days in hospital ( had other things go wrong ) ie; took.catheter out too early and had bladder get to 1000 cc 3 times before they recatheter'd me) got dehydrated ?? Had Iv come out. Had a pik line put in arm. Etc. I went to rehab for 7 days then was sent home I was doing ok until 1 1/2 months at home woke up and had the worst left leg pain. Just like all the stories previous to mine. It's excruciating. I would rather be pre-op than this. I've lived with this too long. I don't see doc until June 7 and I'm afraid of what he's gonna say. Because I feel like I know the answer. I had my first surgery in 09 after I was told I had DDD at 30 years old. Had surgery came out in pain. Had screw impinged in nerve root. Went back in 5 days later and they removed screw said bone graft was grafted and would hold. I was feeling ok after surgery but immediately felt pain. When I walked I had to lift my left buttock up. I complained for nearly 8 months at doc appt at home. I would call and I kept getting that's normal healing pains. Finally I get 'my doc to do MRI and ct and ta da!  My fusion was broke. Ahh really? Now back in for repair in 2000 and it was a 14 hour surgery and statute of limitations had run out so I couldn't sue. Now I'm with nerve damage and severe back pain and stuck in pain mgnt up until today 5/24/13 I'm in bed can't get left leg down to floor one or more of the sciatic nerves is pinched post op from February 18th and I have a little bruising at incision site. Hoping that's from being on my back so long at first when it started because I couldn't move for up to 8 hours sometimes. I'm home alone my husband works he comes home at lunch and doesn't get off until 7 and he's exhausted taken care of me, shopping cooking getting my meds several times a month taking care of our cats and dog laundry etc. he's at a new job 1 yr hates it. We have no family or friends here. We moved from calif. to Texas in 2009 from stress at a job that he was working at 16 hours a day he got wore out got sick and then had a seIzure  2 times in 5 weeks now he's diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. So needless to say we've been thru a lot. Hard on marriage he's tired I'm tired where is rainbow. Is there gonna be relief in site. What if I need another surgery?  I feel in my heart I do. I can tell that something moved or broke. I'm also afraid that I could get poisoned because I'm taking so much pain meds and my doctor like to stop one and start another without weening me down. It make me nervous and I have side affects. I can go on all day about steroid injections etc. Anyone have New info or something good to say that's positive or will help me help myself. These Internet postings scare the hell outta me and also at the same time I feel not alone just a greater sadness that there are so many of us suffenring from the same pre and post op nightmares that go on and on. Sorry so long of story. Healing prayer to all before and after me.
I am 2 weeks post surgery for l5 s1 fusion with cage, the surgery went very well, without complication an I was discharged day 3, all was fine until post 9 days when I thought I had just overdone the walking, my calves and ankles were excruciatingly painful, over the next day or so it changed from one leg to the other, came and went like a searing poker being rammed down my calf, then, numbness then pain again, I had to phone the doc and get a stronger prescription painkiller as my meds were not touching it, I presume it is nerve pain, swelling coming and going and things just settling down, its not quite as bad now but after sitting a while comes on when I stand or walk just as bad. Wasn't warned about any of this so will be reporting it when I go back on wed to see surgeon, hope it eases up soon tho.
Hi all. I had my third back surgery in seven months just two weeks ago, it was lumbar fusion. Like everybody else the back pain is gone and that is wonderful but about three days post op I developed left leg pain.. It started with my knee, I was unable to bear my own weight and was in absolute agony trying to bend my knee, that is gone now but still have the pain in my lover leg with sharp, shooting pain in my foot. Every time I wiggle my toe I it feels as though I am pulling my nerve, it has that burning sensation. I am wearing the back brace every time I am out of bed and go walking twice a day but can't do long distances just couple minutes. I van only sit in reclined position can't stand for very long so spent most of my time in bed.. I just turned 40, have two kids and a husband who is pretty much doing everything around the house.. I am now two stone heavier than I was last November before the first surgery, I try to eat healthy but.... I spoke to the surgeons secretary yesterday and told her about the leg, she is due to come back to me. I am reading all your stories and to be honest I am really scared that my leg won't improve that it will get worse.. I can't have another surgery, I've been out of work for eight months, and now I am on half my pay. Any ideas how can I get better? I am on oxynorm and targin twice a day and the secretary told its time to get off them now! I also take solpadeine and panadol when I need to and of course sleeping pills! Can anyone please give me some advice....? Thank you
In June 2013 I went for a disc removal cause of my sciatica during my operation I received a tear in my spinal core leaking fluid around my body causing headaches and sickness.Eventually getting through to doctor who done operation asked me to back to the hospital were I had to stay waiting on MRI scan during my stay my fluid started to leak out of my wound.Then my headaches and sickness returned again.With seeing a different doctor I was rushed straight to theatre to repair the tear and get a wash out .Nine days later I got home.I was home for 1 day when I stared shiffering and then hot sweats, 2 days passed my daughter said to me mummy your back is leaking again I cried .Phoning the hospital they said to return to them ,I received an infection treated with anibocitics the 3rd doctor comes to me and says the only way to get this away quickly is surgery for another flush out I cried and cried... The day had arrived theatre here I come again eventually after 2wks the infection cleared.But I have numbness in my lift leg with pins and needles, I can not bend the leg with out causing pain and it stops me from sleeping plus the cramps ahh getting worse .Now my headaches are back another MRI .I have now started to get a shakey (shaky) hand when holding anything .Will this go away it stops me from driving and walking to far always have to have support when walking .....
What most doctors do not seem to understand or glean from their patients is : we want pain relief. What they sale us is : we will fix the physical problem and HOPE this cures the resulting pain issues.

We are commonly kept unaware of the side effects not only from Surgical damage, hardware implementation damage and poisoning, but also the true results of the appalling number of failed surgeries where daily pain and or drug intervention is required for life.

I have found Medical Cannabis to be 90% as effective at relieving my post L4/5 Fusion low back, right leg and sciatic nerve pain, as the narcotic pain pills. I do concede that there are still times I need Opiate pain relief to control my pain at night.

I have no side effects from the Medical cannabis. The THC molecule, which does make you feel happy, in marijuana helps with chronic pain, the CBD molecule has been shown to stop siezures in persons with conditions involving musculoskeletal nerve disorders, and has anti-inflammatory properties.

I was tired ot the pills and how they made me withdraw from life even further.

I welcome interesting conversation and debate with you and others with this issue.
Shawn Jensen