Orthopedics Community
peculiar knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Viewing 201-252 comments:
this is a complaint forum. seems after someone finds out what it the diagnose is they don't bother re posting.
I was very glad to find this group because my pain is identical to what is described. I can't put weight on the knee without a stabbing, numbing sensation that is shot into the side of my knee. I can also trigger the pain by tapping on a certain part of the front of my knee. I couldn't take the pain anymore so I went to the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia and crossed my fingers. What I learned is fairly upsetting, yet I'm so thrilled to finally have an answer. The surgeon was very honest and said she's only seen one other patient with the same symptoms and after researching was only able to find a handful of cases. The diagnosis I was given was Infrapatellar Saphenous Neuralgia. In layman terms, I damaged the nerve in my patella causing neuritis in my knee. This damage is known to occur from two things, post surgical and direct trauma. In my case, I fell down some steps and landed on my right knee with all my weight. She shared two treatments that they could offer: a local anesthetic block that they've done on one other patient who claimed it provided temporary relief (a few months, then pain returned) or surgery, what they call surgical neurolysis. I understand this to be a surgery where they will go into the knee an cut the nerve, stopping the pain, but causing permanent numbness in the side of the knee. As I shared, I'm glad to have found out what I truly believe to be the correct diagnosis, but even the surgeon was saddened to tell me that there really isn't a fix. I am 5 months pregnant and cannot receive any treatments right now, so I have some time to think about this. She gave me two articles that I'd like to share, you can probably google them to print them out. If not, you can respond here and I'll be happy to scan and email them to you. One is called "Knee pain and the infrapatellar branch of the saphenous nerve" published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, Volume 91, No 1998. The other article is called "Infrapatellar Saphenous Neuralgia - Diagnosis and Treatment" published in Pain Physician 2013; 16LE315-E324, there's a website www.painphysicianjournal.com . In this second article I read about two other treatments that my doctor didn't mention that I plan to follow up with her about, one was Pulsed Radiofrequency and the other was freezing the nerve via cryoneuroblation. They sound less invasive than surgery and I definitely want to learn more about the pros and cons. I have had this pain for over 5 years and it comes and go's in intensity and maybe because I am pregnant it is really worse than it's ever been right now. Once this baby is born, if this pain doesn't settle down I will be exploring treatment.  I know what you are all going through and how frustrating it can be to doctors who have no idea what to tell you. In fact, these articles even state that this type of pain has been troublesome to understand and is often not taught in pain classes and that it's very often misdiagnosed and underdiagnosed. I saw Dr. Sommer Hammoud at Rothman Institute in Center City and can't say enough about her. She was genuine and very concerned about helping me understand my pain and knowing my options. If you are near the Philadelphia area, I highly recommend seeing her, if not, take this diagnosis and these articles to your own orthopedic surgeon and ask them to research it. Good luck everyone!
Hello, I was having the same pain and burning sensation while kneeling, and only on my right knee as well. I was referred to an orthopedist but refused to go to as I was sure that surgery would be suggested. Instead I went to an acupuncturist, where upon describing the pain and sensation, he explained how in Chinese medicine, this sensation is associated with an imbalance of energy, I can't remember exactly which organs he said were the affected ones .. After maybe 5 sessions, he left me pain free and I can now kneel again without pain. I am not anti-traditional medicine, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try an alternative approach .. I was amazed at how quickly he cured me. Worth a try? Good Luck!
I have the same pain.  It started after taking a hard fall on concrete a little over a year ago.  It is much better than it was right after it happened but still bad enough to be a problem.  There was no bleeding and little swelling or bruising after I fell so I thought it was no big deal.
I have the exact same symptoms. Have you found out exactly what it is?
Ellen, I have exactly the same problem as you. I find it very strange. I dont have any ongoing pain,so dont need painkillers,as its only when I kneel down that I feel like you, that im kneeling on something sharp. Wondering is it a cartilage problem

I am glad to hear that your pain is gone.

I am 47 years old. Female. Running about 20 minutes every day and then doing stretching -- for more than a year. I also slightly obese ( 30).
It looks like I developed the same condition. It happened yesterday when I knelt on the carpet.  Sudden sharp pain like my knee was pressing on something sharp, like broken glass. One knee only, left knee in my case; outside part of the patella. When I palpated trying to pinpoint the site, I couldn't find anything. The pain comes back every time I kneel. However there is a small area of numbness.
Did you continue to exercise?
Sounds like what I had which after seeing Orthopedic surgeon was severe osteoarthritis on the right side of my right knee & bone spurs because of that.  This is a breakdown of the cartilage that buffers the knee cap from the femur bone so the knee is taking alot a stress on the right side which in turn causes that sharp, shooting pain down the right side.  I also had a bruised bone because of all this which is painful in and of itself.  Cortizone shot did not work for me so I just had the jel injection 1 week ago.  Waiting see see if it will help. I will post again if this injection helps me.  Good luck
Tried to reply to Unycorn, thinking the reply would show up here, but I guess not. So I'm adding this post.

The rug-burn sensation in my knees is finally gone! I had been waiting 6-7 months for it to go away by itself, but there was no improvment. So one, day, mostly out of frustration, I tried vigorously sliding the skin in varous directions parallel to the skin surface.

The model I had in mind was that maybe there was some sort of adhesion  pulling on the offending nerve that needed to be loosened. Sliding the skin this way hurt at the time, of course, but the pain was gone a few days later.

This may have been pure coincidence, and the adhesion model may have been totally wrong, but the pain is gone.

BTW, I've noticed minor rug-burn type pains in analogous areas of my elbows. Haven't tried the skin-slide treatment on them yet, though.
Hi Inka  yes, I continue to exercise every day .. mostly yoga .. the pain has not re-appeared and I feel much better .. I am a bit overweight myself .. I just read that if we can lose just 10% of our current weight, our knees will thank us .. (as will the rest of our body, but knees the most!) Good luck!
Thank goodness for this forum! On 9/29 I was doing a kneeling yoga position in class and thought I'd kneeled on a cinder (small volcanic rock here in Northern Arizona) that'd been tracked in. Same thing happened on 10/6. No pain when walking or running, but when knee is bent at 90 deg. can find the injured spot on the side of the rt. kneecap. It's so bad that I can't do kneeling on rt. knee, even with a folded yoga blanket. Since yoga is so beneficial, and like several readers I need to lose weight (20 lbs.), I found yoga knee pads called Yoga Jellies, available directly from yogajellies.com and through Amazon for $65. Yes, they seem pricey, but I'm willing to give them a try; can't really do yoga otherwise, unless I skip kneeling poses. Though I haven't received and tried them yet, and am not endorsing them at this time, I wanted to post to give some hope - there's nothing quite like this type of knee pain, which feels like kneeling on a push pin/nail/rock, you name whatever sharp object you like. I'm not sure what brought this on - could be arthritis, or something as simple (but forgettable) as running into something with my knee, but the onset was sudden and unexpected. Hope this helps others with this "peculiar knee pain".
My pain is like an electric shock when I kneel on my right knee. It starts from the inside gap between the shin bone and patella and travels across and down the outside front of the shin bone about half way down. The skin area on the outside of the shin also feels numb, similar to the feeling you get after being at the dentist, compared to the other leg.  The pain is instant and subsides as soon as I take the pressure off the knee. It think it must be a nerve as I can trigger it when the knee joint is either open or closed.
MOST HELPFUL POST. I'm a runner and started getting the same "kneeling pain that seems to radiate towards the outside of the knee below the patella" just a week ago. The weird thing was that running never caused the pain, only kneeling or rubbing my fingers below the patella when my knee is flexed to 90 degrees or more. After about 45 minutes reading this blog I was frustrated to discover that no one had any helpful info. So I went and did my own study of the anatomy of the knee. And after eliminating the possibility of any "runner's knee" pain, or tendonitis, or bursitis, I thought maybe it was a nerve. So I learned that the INFRAPATELLAR SAPHENOUS NERVE usually crosses right in the area we're all talking about, below the patella (kneecap). So I looked that up specifically and FOUND THE ARTICLE YOU POSTED. Funny thing is that I read your post after the fact.  Also, after reading "DrJonny's" post, about it being a nerve, I was feeling pretty sure that that's what it was. Well, I read the whole article, which is filled with scientific lingo, and though it says it's usually a postoperative condition, it also says it can happen from trauma to the knee, or even spontaneously. ONE OF THE TREATMENTS it mentioned was a "diagnostic injection", which is just a steroid injection, such as prednisolone. I don't remember if you mentioned that or not. Anyway, I don't wanna make this longer, but thank you for YOUR POST. IT IS THE MOST HELPFUL ONE I READ.
A NATURAL REMEDY: (see my post on October 21 and RRobinson's on September 3, 2013 and then read on.)  "The good news is that NERVE PAIN is very treatable. Many studies have shown that using nutritional support with lipoic acid 300 mg 2x day, Acetyl-L-Carnitine 2,000 mg a day, Inositol (500-1,000 mg a day), and vitamins B6 (50-100 mg a day) and B12 (500-5,000 mcg a day—both B vitamins and Inositol are in the ENERGY REVITALIZATION SYSTEM vitamin powder) can actually help heal the nerves and decrease or eliminate the pain. Nerves take time to heal, so natural remedies need to be taken for 3-12 months. In the interim, holistic pharmacies can make powerful creams combining multiple medications effective against nerve pain (available by prescription from ITC Pharmacy at 303-663-4224; called the nerve pain gel)."
I haven't tried the natural remedy I posted above, but I plan to take a different supplement that I already have that contains Inositol, B vitamins and many other vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. I will check in, in about a month and let you all know how it went.
Dr Johnny is correct - I saw an ortho specialist today with the exact same symptoms. He rolled his thumbs over a nerve running across the top of the anterior tibia and caused the problem exactly - pain like fire on the outside of the left knee.  Said it was a branch of the saphenous nerve that had been irritated or bruised, probably by repeated kneeling. Treatment - don't kneel on it if you can help it and it should resolve in a few weeks.
I ran into this thread about six months ago, when I was having the stabbing pain in the left kneecap whenever I knelt on it.  I had just rescued a dog (about 6 weeks earlier) and had been kneeling a lot to clean up dog hair mostly.  I just wanted to follow up, in hopes it will provide hope for someone out there.  I, obviously, stopped kneeling on that knee for a few months (gently onto the other knee) and otherwise went about my normal life.  I even run with the dog, although I took a few weeks off right when I had the pain start.  Now the pain is gone completely.  Rest and time.  Also, I am more careful about dropping onto the knee quickly, just slow down a little bit and everything is fine.  Hope this helps!!!
I am experiencing the very same symptoms and wonder if anyone out there is doing yoga?  I started taking yoga classes (2 per week) about 3 months ago and a few weeks ago I started to take additional class (3-4 per week).  As soon as I started to increase my attendance I noticed that the pain began.  I know that some of the instructors had us sitting in vajrasana pose and this was new for me.  I just looked up yoga poses that cause knee problems and guess what? Yep you guessed, it was the new pose.  You sit tall on your mat and cross both legs one over the other just like you did when you were a kid but you must hold it very still for 5-8 minutes.  

This pose has been linked to damage to the common fibular nerve.  So I won't be doing that pose for a while and I will start to use an over the counter pain patch for relief in the meantime.

I will let you know how it goes in a week or so.  

szysha
I have had the same thing for years but it is getting worse, I am getting a bit fed up now as it is a real pain on kneeling, I have to put cushions down. I am now finding if I knock the wrong spot I get the same pain, like a electric shock. I can now run my fingers over the spot lightly and send a mild uncomfortable sensation which runs a couple of inches away. It feels like a nerve problem lying just under the skin  rather than a problem deep inside the knee.
Have you found out what yours is?
Ive had a problem with my right knee for a while now.and I dont have insurance due to not having enough money.but I worked on concrete all day and i was on my knees for about 2 hours one day when all of a sudden it felt like I kneeled on a little pebble or rock.ever since that day almost a year ago I cannot put any pressure on it when the knee is bent.nothing else hurts it.I can run jump anything including put pressure on the spot when my leg is extended. But....if I am sitting and my knee is in the bent position if I just ever so gently touch the spot with my finger it shoots a pain right up my leg and it burns like crazy.I cant even kneel on a couch cushion.its right under the knee cap.any help? Ive tried everything and im desperate.by the way im only 21 so I dont have history of arthritis.and I know this sounds bad and the wrong thing to do but it gets to the point sometimes where I just want to cut open my knee sometimes to see what the problem is.by the way I will never do this but its just to show how much pain im in with it.
Hi Inka.  Just seeing your reply now ... No, I haven't been exercising.  Not because of my knee, the training was no longer in my budget.
However, around the time of your post the pain returned.  I didn't do anything, just one night as I got into bed ... There it was, including the numbness.   I did notice that the pain just disappeared after about 4 months - again - but the numbness never goes away.

Because this has occurred 3 or 4 times I have learned to live with it.  I now get into bed fully aware that it can reoccur at any time.  I am prepared, however, for another flare up come September ... That seems to be the pattern.

Anyone else have a flare up?  When did your symptoms go away?  Do you have lingering numbness?
no, but why wouldn't it be painful when i exercise and thanks  
johnofmaxs
I have symptoms similar, but not quite the same as many above. The pain I experience is on the inside of my right knee just below the joint. It is very tender to the touch and burns on occasion. It is aggravated by sitting with my leg fully extended and the joint locked. I work out regularly and have my muscles massaged weekly, so it isn't lack of conditioning or excessive tightness. I did have surgery to remove a piece of torn meniscus in that area back in May, but the surgeon is quite sure this is not directly related based on the location of the pain (it is below the joint). I keep thinking it is an irritation of the lower MCL attachment, but anti-inflammatory drugs don't seem to matter. Does anybody have any thoughts for me? Could it be some kind of irritation of the top of the tibia indirectly caused by the meniscus pad being removed in that area? If so, is there any treatment?
hi doug314, my knee pain sounds exactly like yours.  Just developed it a couple weeks ago, checked my knee for a carpet burn, nothing there.  Then I noticed whenever I kneel, i feel that carpet burn pain on the left knee, but actually just below the knee and to the left/outer side of it.  Have you found any relief yet?  I do house cleaning so I wonder if its from being on my knees a lot lately?  I read someone had some relief from accupuncture.  Any suggestions?  couldn't believe it when I saw other people with the same odd pain/feeling!  Thank you .

Deb
***@****  
I also have similar problem which i obtained during a football game in 2004. The doctors i met said there was no fracture although i get these burning and sharp paining sensation on my left knee and it has been swallow ever since then. I barely run or walk a long distance without feeling these pains. i have managed this for long now and the pain is increasing. Please any suggestion will do. Thank you.
About a week ago, I went to get into the right side of my bed, bending my right knee as I sat down, I immediately felt a stabbing pinching like pain on my right outer knee (or about 1/2" below and 2" to the side of my kneecap)
about the size of a quarter.  The spot also feels numb all the time.  It doesn't hurt  to walk, squat, or to touch it, only when I bend the knee and kneel on a couch, bed, etc.  Does anyone else have this problem.  My problem sounds similar to many on here but not exact.  Scared it might be a blood clot or something.  Appreciate any input.
I wish I had your MRI to review (if you've had one). I personally would rule out a blood clot. It sounds to me that your lateral collateral ligament could be the culprit. If that is the case, I feel certain it can be remedied by a arthroscopic procedure, such as a lateral ligament release. Let me know, Best of Luck!
Yes & from what I easily found on line: lliotibial band pain - or lliotibial Band Syndrom (syndrome) . ITBS Dull aching or sharp burning sensation on outside the knee. Go to www.med.nyu.edu/ (Several sites address this particular pain).
It occurred when bend my leg into a tight squat, cannot put weight on my left knee without a sharp burning pain which is really painful & disconcerting . It goes away, but I know exactly where that pain occurred.
Apparently not so unusual - it is an inflammatory condition caused when a band of tissue rubs over the outer bone (lateral condyle). Can be caused  by direct injury or caused by stress of long term overuse doing sports. Anyway, check it out and you'll get a handle on what to do.
Hello everyone. I fell HARD a few weeks ago. Landed on both knees and evidently my left hand. I had a pea-sized blood clot/busted vein looking thing on the palm of my left hand. Hurt really bad and still sore. Knees turned black and blue but that's mostly gone now also. I'm having issues with my left knee. Actually right below my left knee cap. It FEELS like rug burn or that my skin is stretching but I know that it's not the skin...it's something underneath. The first time I get up and bend my knee after sitting for while brings on a SHARP pain. It's very hard to describe but these forums have made me realize that it's pretty common. When I get in bed at night I like to lay on my left side. It's excrutiating trying to use my weight and push with my knee to get comfortable. I get this pain that just about makes me come UNGLUED!! I'm going to wait this out a few more weeks and see if it heals. If not, then I will go see my doc and ask him what he thinks and see about getting a shot of some sort. Good lucky everyone. I surely don't know what we ever did before the internet!! I can Google pretty much every crazy thing that's wrong with me and then I don't feel so alone!! :)
Hello Jeannie! Welcome to MedHelp, I am the Orthopedic Community Leader for this website. I can only give you my personal opinions, always consult with your physician. That being said, it is possible you have a partial inferior tear of your patella tendon. What to expect: If you have to see your Orthopod, he/she will probably want x-rays right away (unless you have some post injury ones) - AP/Lat/Oblique and probably Sunrise views, examination of course, if the x-rays are negative or they feel it's necessary a MRI can be very useful - especially in soft tissue issues. Please feel free to contact me anytime with any other questions or issues, you are NEVER alone! Best wishes! jd1963
Drjonny,
I have same thing. It happened after getting out of hot tub and falling on my knee. Have you discovered any way to heal this?
Feels like a rug burn, outside of my left knee. I tried straightening out my leg and then touching and you were right. No pain when leg is fully stretch he'd ou.
Dino1956
Hello! I hope Drjonny is still we us! He has that one covered!
Man oh man, I've this severe pain when my right knee touches the ground or any surface. I'm talking about a dagger shoved into the outside of my knee and twisted. I cant even get into bed on my knee. I can run, bike, swim, climb stairs, jump etc...  I can get down on my left knee with full weight but when my right knee touches any surface, "Mother of God" the lightening bolt hits. No swelling, no discoloration or any other symptoms.  HELP !!!!   I know I'm not the only one out here with this..
You described my symptoms exactly! I read the previous posts looking for an answer for my knee pain which is exacerbated when kneeling.  Thanks for giving me an answer.  Will it eventually resolve?

Diane
I have the kind of burning pain that only turns up when kneeling - hard to make it hurt by just prodding it when my leg is straightened. Thanks to those who have mentioned 'housemaid's knee' and 'prepatellar bursitis' - I found out on patient.co.uk that it is caused by inflammation of the bursa (a small fluid-filled sac) in front of the kneecap.
I have had this on and off since I was thirty and was starting to think it was some kind of weird bone tumour. So it was a relief to find this discussion and work it out, as inflammation makes perfect sense! I have never injured my knee, but inflammation in the body can be caused by a number of things aside from injury - SUGAR is a major source of inflammation. If you read on housemaid's knee it notes that people who are prone to goat are prone to getting this condition. Gout is caused by a build up of uric acid due to sugar and alcohol. I have just spent Easter holidays drinking wine every night and eating chocolate eggs every day! It makes total sense for this pain to flair up now. Also why for some people a wheat or dairy free diet has worked - refined white bread/pasta are just one step away from sugar. Dairy is a cause of allergens in about 20% of the population.
So anyway, I am pretty confident that it will resolve itself again if I eat less sugar/bread and more vegetables. Have heard a lot of you say you are a bit overweight - seems like a common theme.  
I think you're right about the cause, but I wouldn't treat it with cortisone.   I'm not  treating it at all.  Compared to the nerve damage I have from cervical spine surgery, this is nothing.  A little pain is better than numbness.   At least you know you're alive.
You described my symptoms exactly. It doesn't hurt when I press on it, just when I kneel, and recently noticed the pain when a sheet or blanket rubs across it.  So my question is,do I see a doctor? Does anyone with this condition end up having any surgery to treat it?
I am having  mostly the same problems. I'm a carpenter and remember a few months ago kneeling on older framed floor joist, they come to appoint ontop. I widths sevrel times now Im just realising that may have done it. My sensation is like a huge needle entering the left side of my knee, only on the surface, burning at the least 5 seconds with nasty pain accompanying it. Numb pain always there. Taking showers just rubbing my hand over it lifting my leg, band zoom same thing. Recently I found that swiping my hand across the inner knew, I get a nasty jolt on the outside. I know my cartilage is not that great either. First impressing was I thought I had a twisted vein, stretching and burning. I just don't know, its affecting my life and work, sometimes it becomes inflamed shaped like a squib rectangle. Rub the inside of your bad knee and see if it triggers it, feels like blood shooting a gulp really fast, and when kneeling it feels like I crush a vein or nerve. Im never on this forum so I hope I have helped least one person. BTW Im male 37 yrs old.
I'm convinced it is Infrapatellar Saphenous Neuralgia - basically a nerve that terminates where we feel the rug burn.

Did mine landing on that spot and rotating on a foam mattress.

Thank you RRobinson for posting the solution.  That articled they recommend is great- "Infrapatellar Saphenous Neuralgia - Diagnosis and Treatment" published in Pain Physician 2013; 16LE315-E324
I just read through all of the posts on this thread (OK, I might have skimmed over a couple...) It's obvious that at least a few different conditions are getting mixed up in the discussion; however, by and large, it seems most of us are suffering from an unexplainable and pretty much excruciating sharp pain in the knee or knees upon kneeling. I have been experiencing the same. Brought it up to my doctor at my annual physical last month. No real help: typical "don't do it" and "try an anti-inflammatory." However, I was intrigued to find this site which dealt with what I am dealing with. More than that, I'd already come to the conclusion that my elliptical was contributing to my condition, and that seemed validated by the fact that at least a handful of others in this forum had as well. I have never injured my knees in any other way. But during the winter, I exercise on an elliptical. During the summer, I swim and bike. I had the sharp pains begin suddenly for the first time last year, tried to avoid kneeling, and eventually the pain disappeared. Well, just started back on the elliptical a couple weeks ago, and guess what? Yep, pain came back. One morning during the early hours, something clicked and I put two and two together as I considered the timing of my use of the elliptical. Needless to say, I no longer use it (which pains me in a different way) and the knee pain is starting to lessen again. From what I can read here, there is no consensus on what causes the pain and obviously multiple activities/injuries may aggravate it, but thought I'd share my experience in the hopes it may help others. Perhaps together we can solve the whole mystery.  
Osgood–Schlatter disease   Nothing scary but can be maintained... my sis had it as a teen but adults can get by injury  look it up
Osgood–Schlatter disease  Not anything to worry, but can happen through injury ... I really feel like this is what his is. I too have these same symptoms and remember my grandfather , who was a bone doctor telling my sis she had this.40 yrs ago lol
she is fine now
did you look up Osgood–Schlatter disease
My pain is slightly the opposite of what I'm reading.
My knee (when bent) exhibits absolutely NO pain whatsoever unless I'm kneeling on it.
However, then my leg is stretched straight, if something even touches my knee, I practically faint from the shooting pains going up my leg.
Does anyone ever get that feeling?
Although I haven't read every post, there seems to be a connection for some between this particular exercise and experiencing a severe, sharp burning sensation when kneeling.
My knee pain just started about 3 weeks ago.  My pain is very similar to many of the other posters here - it happens only when I kneel on my left knee, and the pain is focused on one spot just outside of the patella.  It feels "electrical" and just like I am kneeling on a lego block (I have kids!).  Very painful and it stops as soon as I get off of the knee.

I don't see any clear treatment in this thread so far, except for examples that may be isolated to a specific person.

Any other success stories?

Hi Chris, I am having the same symptoms with my left knee. Funny thing is, because I am 59 years old, the first thing I hear from Dr is,probably arthritis and degeneration. I'm not a sit around old frump, I'm very young for my age. I saw your post and the fact that you are so young and having same problem. I wonder if you ever got a definitive diagnosis and how you treated it. Please reply to ***@****.
I also have the pain like kneeling on broken glass but only infrequently usually when making the bed.  Does anyone know what it is?

I hear you about knee pain; I've had an arthroscopy on each knee. If you have any questions regarding knee pain or orthopedic recoveries for knee pain, you should contact  http://www.ossburbank.com/where-does-it-hurt/ to learn more about your knee pain.
Hi there,
I have been to the Dr today,he has sent me for a knee x Ray and blood tests .
I have been in pain for 12 months even turning over in bed can wake me up wanting  to scream ,If I touch my knee in a certain place it can be like I live wire or a cluster of nerve endings all being touched at once , I'm hoping to get it sorted the Dr says it may be arthritis I told him I never knew anyone with arthritis with these symptoms . Now I have something to work with
Many thanks Dave
Saw an Ortho earlier this week.  Had x-rays which showed nothing, and an MRI that showed a very small cyst in the fat pad directly in the area where I feel the pain.

The Doc is not sure yet if the cyst has anything to do with the pain.  I believe that I injured myself doing a new, extensive stretching routine with lots of standing hamstring stretches (standing on one leg, other leg up on a chair).  I think this over-used my knee.

We are giving it 6 weeks of no-stretching and certainly NO kneeling.  I hope that this resolves itself.
Viewing 201-252 comments: