Orthopedics Community
peroneal nerve in knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

peroneal nerve in knee

After three years of chasing down the source of leg and foot pain and one back operation, I am told that my problem may be in the knee.
The good news is that the doctors seem to have found a bone growth which is pushing on the peroneal nerve .  A nerve block is scheduled to further confirm that hypothesis.
The bad news is that the knee orthopedic surgeon says that he is nervous about operating in the popliteal cavity with its mess of nerves and blood vessels. He says that I should go see one of his associates who is a cancer orthopedic specialist who has  operated more often in that challenging area of the knee.
Does anybody have experience with surgery in that part of the knee?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Alan
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Common Peroneal nerve dysfunction is a disorder caused by damage to the Peroneal nerve, characterized by loss of movement or sensation in the foot and leg.

Surgery may be required if the disorder is persistent or symptoms are worsening, if there is difficulty with movement, or if there is evidence on testing that the nerve axon is degenerating. Surgical decompression of the area may reduce symptoms if the disorder is caused by entrapment of the nerve.

I would think that surgical removal of tumors or other conditions that press on the nerve may be of benefit and this is a good idea to consult an experienced surgeon like a cancer Orthopedic surgeon.

Take care!
Hello! I had left knee surgery in November of 2013 because my knee would swell from time to time from too much activity so it would hurt and be really stiff for a couple days then the pain would go entirely away with little rest. My surgeon said the only thing he could find was that my knee cap shows some wear and he cleaned up a few things but really was nothing for him to fix! Well, from the day I got out of surgery till today (8 months) my knee has been hurting non stop 24-7! There is some swelling in the front of the knee that has my knee cap tender, I struggle to just get around now and I'm a very active man!  After going back multiple times and continued mri's and exams no one really knows the problem. Last week a local dr gave me an injection near a nerve he felt could be the issue and it did seem to help for a couple days but it's back to where it was before now! I just don't know what to do now and any help would be very very appreciated!