Orthopedics Community
pubic pain I can't sit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

pubic pain I can't sit

I was diagnosed with pubic symphsis. The pubic pain gets bad sometimes but the worse thing is I can't sit at the computer for more than a few minutes without severe pain. Anyone have this problem? Has anyone found anything that helps? I have tried all the cushions. I really miss not being able to be on my computer. Thanks
What did your doctor say about your pain and did he give you any suggestions regarding your sitting problems.  I have two fractures to my pubic rami and I have found I am only comfortable sitting in a recliner because I can't sit in one position for very long.  In a recliner I can change my sitting positions which alleviates my discomfort.  Did the doctor give you any exercises or suggestions on getting you some relief?  Hope all comes out okay.  I am an active 60 year old that just a little over a month ago took a big fall off one of my horses.  I will keep you in my prayers for you to see a speedy recovery!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Proper diagnosis of your case is important and why do you have Pubic Symphysis pain?

Inflammatory disease, such as ankylosing spondylitis, results in bony fusion of the symphysis.

Osteitis pubis, the most common inflammatory disease, is treated with anti-inflammatory medication and rest.

If it is due to inflammatory disease then you would need anti inflammatory drugs and rest. You can use recliner as Linda suggested and follow up with an Orthopedician.

Take care!
I've also been told I have a pubis symphysis (Osteitis pubis, same thing) injury. Both of my hips are also dislocated because of this injury as well. I did a lot of research and came across prolotherapy. I'm not sure where you live but if you look online for a Dr. Hauser in Chicago he has 200+ videos for prolotherapy treatment. I went there about 10 days ago (5 1/2 drive for me) & I ended up getting 50 injections for this injury. They like to over treat an injury rather than under treat an injury. He gives a lot of info on this treatment online and seems very smart. Prolotherapy does take time to heal your body. He told me every 4 weeks I should come back for the same treatment for 6 months. I'm told stem cell procedures are like 6 times more effective in treating this injury, but are more expensive.
My pubis symphysis area is very sore to the touch and my right hip will pop every so often letting me know it just came back out of alignment again. This injury is rough to deal with so I understand. I'm only 48 (dealing with this injury for almost 2 yrs now) and have always been very active. This thing has stopped me in my tracks. I wish you the best of luck dealing with this.  
Oh yeah I forgot to say I also had the whole sit bone pain problem as well. Can't sit down on anything like the floor or a wooden chair for more than 10 minutes without the pain kicking in and numbness. I'm seeing a neuromuscular therapist. I have very tight hamstrings that can be the cause of the sit bone pain problem. They are pulling on the ischial tuberosity bones making things very uncomfortable on me. It's either that or loose ligaments in your (posterior) pelvic floor area . Find yourself a neuromuscular therapist in your area, maybe they can help you. Dr. Hauser is treating that problem for me as well.

P.S. I can go into more detail and say that it's 2 ligaments for the pubis symphysis problem. Superior pubic ligament & the Arcuate pubic ligament. When they get loose because of an injury (like me) they are hard to tighten back up. The sit bone pain problem comes from the ischial tuberosity bones on each side of your backside. The ligaments can be loose there as well. For me I have some tight ligaments in the posterior pelvic floor that seems to be pulling on those sit bones that also affects this injury. I do hope this helps you understand a little more of where to look for some relief.

Good luck!