Ovarian Cancer Community
7.1 cm Complex Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

7.1 cm Complex Cyst

Can't believe I found this thread.  I am 72 years and have not been to a gyn for over 40 years.  I happened to have a CT scan of my pelvis for something else and they found a hypodense lesion on my right ovary.  My internist sent me for a ultrasound and a transvaginal ultra sound and it came back with a 7.1cm complex cyst which also said could be a serous cyst or municous cyst.  Well, my internist sent me to a gyn and he in turn made an appt with a gynocologist/oncologist for Sept 14.  Meanwhile he took a ROMA (Risk for Ovarian Malignacy) blood test and today he called and it was negative but I still have to go to the oncologist.  I feel so stupid going there when the test was negative.  I feel he would say, What are you doing here, you don't have cancer.  I have been going crazy and I feel like such a fool going to the Women's Cancer Care.  That is the place where the oncologist is.  Now after reading your post I guess going to an oncologist is the right thing to do.  The only thing now is what kind of surgery will I have.  Will he only take the cyst out.  Does the test mean 100% that it is not a cancer?  Will I have a hysterectomy?  Even though I am 72 I would feel very bad having my parts taken out.  Does anyone know if the negative blood test means 100% not cancer?

This discussion is related to complex septated cystic mass in my left ovary measuring 8 x 7 x 6 cm.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
The size of the cyst is quite significant at 7.1cm and also the complex nature of the cyst makes one suspicious. Considering the cyst at the age of 72 years a visit to the oncologist is necessary. The ROMA test being negative does not mean that there is no risk of cancer. The best way to rule out cancer is to get the ovary removed and subject it to histo-pathological examination. The surgery will usually be a total hysterectomy with removal of both the ovaries.
Hope this helps.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Hope this helps.
I agree with the good doctor.  Given your age,and the fact that there is a cyst on your ovary does raise a bit of concern.   The ROMA test, CA125 blood test, etc cannot detect ovarian cancer.   They are often false positive and/or false negative.   The ROMA test is relatively new and only administered to about 600 patients undergoing abdominal surgery for masses. While it is a step in the right direction, it is not where it needs to be  yet.
Glad to hear that your doctor is being proactive and sending you to the experts.  Chances are it is nothing.  
I was 42 when I had a complete hysterectomy....you will do fine with the surgery if it is required....it's not that bad to lose your "girly" parts, you are and always will be 100 % female!!!!   Let us know how the appointment goes.
Thank you nyc lady.  I am also from nyc.  I will post when I get back from my appt on the 14th.  Today I picked up all my CD disks with my cat scans and ultrasounds to bring with me to the appt.  Whatever has to be done I will get through it. Thank you for posts.  
Hi nyc lady,
Went to my appt with the gyn/oncologist yesterday.  I brought my CD disks with me and he said that they are just pictures and you don't know what it is until you actually look at it.  He kept calling it a Pelvic Mass and not a cyst.  Anyway, he scheduled my surgery for Oct. 1.  He said that he will be doing a complete hysterectomy and that they take a piece and freeze it and send it to pathology while you are on the table so he will know if more has to be cut out.  He is doing the da Vincil surgery.  He said it would be a very large cut to get the mass (cyst) out without breaking it.  Also, he said that this surgery is only an overnight stay and less pain and faster recovery.  He gave me a disk to look at and the surgeon is not even near you he is across the room.  I am going to look and see who has had this surgery and how they came out from it.  Anyway, while he is doing the surgery he will also have a gastro doctor there because I have a large mass (cyst) and a small one on my liver.  He also said he does not know what that is until they see it.  My surgery might be delayed because my lungs do not get full oxygen because I have COPD so I have to get a release from the Pulmonary Doctor.  Hopefully I will get a appt now and be able to have the surgery Oct. 1.  I am not looking forward to it.  I am so nervous and this surgery looks like the doctor is playing video games with the machine.
So this is where I stand now.
Do you know of anyone who has had this kind of surgery?