Ovarian Cancer Community
Ascites how often does it need to be drained?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My mom is 81 and her Dr. has stopped chemo. because her ca125 was in the 2000's and the chemo wasn't working.  They referred her to a stage 1 trial which scared her and my dad off.  She has mets in her lungs and abdomen but no huge masses or blockages.  She presented 4/07 with pleural effusion and that's how they ultimately tracked it down to ovarian cancer.  My ques. is this.  Her lungs have been stable as far as fluid goes and she is not on oxygen or anything.  She started having ascites around a mo. ago and after too long with her oncologist putting off draining the fluid she went to the e.r. and they drained off 3 liters on Labor Day.  She was scheduled to have a port put into her abdomen that could be drained as needed yesterday but they had her all prepped and decided she didn't have much fluid so didn't do the procedure.  Have any of you had experience with ascites as far as how often you had to be tapped and also have any of you had a port/drain placed?  How painful is this procedure overall and would you recommend it if the fluid builds up again?  Is it better to just drain it with a needle if it's not too frequent?
Thanks!
My mom is also hving the same problem.her ca125 is 550.she had undergone aspiration for 3 times.It would be painful but dont worry it is for her to get better.there will be pain when the stomach is pressed  to bring the fluid out from the stomach.This is for temporary after some time (I dont know how long),the fluid will be generated again.
My mom also had had 5 litres of fluid drained recently. She then had 2 litres of fluid drained out of her lungs. I know the Oncologist told us before drainage that she needed to have a high level of fluid in her abdomen before they decide to drain her abdomen area (not the lungs) otherwise if the amount of fluid is much lower sometimes it causes pinching pain afterwards. Hope it helps
Typically they will just use the 'needle' to drain...anytime you have a port or anything 'permanent', it's heading straight for infection or other issues...if your mom is doing well otherwise, it would be my recommendation to skip anything permanent.  

For the lungs, it does hurt when they put it in...but it has to be drained...is she on pain medication now?  that may lesson the pain, but it still hurts (at least it did with my mom and she had it done a few times).
I have been drained of ascites 4 times in the last almost 4 years. My Onc has not yet suggested a port as it isn't something I have all that often.  The last ime just 3 weeks ago they removed 3650cc from me. I think I would prefer to have done in the hospital as infection would be my worry as well as making sure it's all gone would be another problem..how would one know if every last drop is gone....when they do a paracentisis they check with the ultrasound.  I hope your Mom gets better soon.  ~~~Joanne