Ovarian Cancer Community
Bilateral ovarian

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Bilateral ovarian

I had an ultrasound this week that revealed bilateral, complex ovarian cysts.  They are large, 4 and 6 cms.  I am a healthy 46 year old with no symptoms.  My doctor told me there is a 75% chance they are endometriomas, and a 25% chance they are ovarian cancer.  She indicated that she is going to perform a full hysterectomy in either case.

1.  Are those odds correct?
2.  Is there an alternative to a hysteretomy?

If there is the slightest chance that this could be cancer, I recommend that the surgery be performed by a GYN/Oncologist.  If cancer is found and GYN/Onc does the surgery, there is a better survival rate...and as Dian would say, you have only one chance to get it right....so, why take the chances.

Now, if the cysts are benign, then why do they need to do a hysterectomy?  That would be the questions that I would ask...and a complex cyst does not mean that it is cancerous.  Most cysts are benign, well over 90 percent.  

Along with the US, did they take a CA125 blood test?  Not that they are reliable, especially with pre-menopausal women, but, it helps aide in seeing if something is brewing....and there are numerous reasons why it could be false positive.

Our bodies are so complex, why not see the experts if there is a problem.  Chances are, you do not have cancer, but, why not see the doctor with 3 years additional training and get a 2nd opinion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I am taking your kind advice and am getting a second opinion. I also requested the ca 125 test.  Thank you, s
I had a single complex ovarian cystt, that on ultrasound presented as an endometrioma (endometriosis inside the ovary). I saw a gyn/onc becuase I had symptoms (bloatic, indigestion, constipation, pelvic pain) so I was worried it may be OvCa.

Gyn/Onc also thought it was an endometrioma, but still recommended a full hysterectomy (if children are no longer an issue). He said this is the best way to prevent reoccurance of endomtriosis.
Other wise there is a high likely hood of re-occurance.
There are more conservative approaches, that you can discuss with your doctor, but at the least the ovaries need to be removed (because endometriomas do not go away with hormone treatment).

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/womenshealth/gynecology/endomettreatments.cfm

He also prepared me in case it might be cancer, that it would be a more extensive surgery.
They don't know what it actually is until they are in there and do pathology.

As it was, it turned out to be a borderline or LMP tumor. LPM tumors have almost 100% survival and I am doing well after surgery (some hot flashes, but no HRT). I can honestly say I feel better than before surgery (surgery was 8/13/07).

This is why you want a gyn oncologist to do the surgery. Ask you Ob/gyn for a referral or call area hospitals etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.