I had an ultrasound this week that revealed bilateral, complex ovarian cysts. They are large, 4 and 6 cms. I am a healthy 46 year old with no symptoms. My doctor told me there is a 75% chance they are endometriomas, and a 25% chance they are ovarian cancer. She indicated that she is going to perform a full hysterectomy in either case.
1. Are those odds correct?
2. Is there an alternative to a hysteretomy?
If there is the slightest chance that this could be cancer, I recommend that the surgery be performed by a GYN/Oncologist. If cancer is found and GYN/Onc does the surgery, there is a better survival rate...and as Dian would say, you have only one chance to get it right....so, why take the chances.
Now, if the cysts are benign, then why do they need to do a hysterectomy? That would be the questions that I would ask...and a complex cyst does not mean that it is cancerous. Most cysts are benign, well over 90 percent.
Along with the US, did they take a CA125 blood test? Not that they are reliable, especially with pre-menopausal women, but, it helps aide in seeing if something is brewing....and there are numerous reasons why it could be false positive.
Our bodies are so complex, why not see the experts if there is a problem. Chances are, you do not have cancer, but, why not see the doctor with 3 years additional training and get a 2nd opinion.
I had a single complex ovarian cystt, that on ultrasound presented as an endometrioma (endometriosis inside the ovary). I saw a gyn/onc becuase I had symptoms (bloatic, indigestion, constipation, pelvic pain) so I was worried it may be OvCa.
Gyn/Onc also thought it was an endometrioma, but still recommended a full hysterectomy (if children are no longer an issue). He said this is the best way to prevent reoccurance of endomtriosis.
Other wise there is a high likely hood of re-occurance.
There are more conservative approaches, that you can discuss with your doctor, but at the least the ovaries need to be removed (because endometriomas do not go away with hormone treatment).
He also prepared me in case it might be cancer, that it would be a more extensive surgery.
They don't know what it actually is until they are in there and do pathology.
As it was, it turned out to be a borderline or LMP tumor. LPM tumors have almost 100% survival and I am doing well after surgery (some hot flashes, but no HRT). I can honestly say I feel better than before surgery (surgery was 8/13/07).
This is why you want a gyn oncologist to do the surgery. Ask you Ob/gyn for a referral or call area hospitals etc.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.