Ovarian Cancer Community
Blood clot in her lung?how serious is this for a OC IIIC?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

my mother has now suffered a lot of pain in her leg for several weeks. she finally was admitted in Sloan Kettering yesterday only to undergo a CT scan to find a blood clot in her lung,as it travelled from her leg to lung. how serious is this? she
Unfortunately, a blood clot in a lung is serious for anyone, regardless of age or other existing health conditions.  I do not understand completely - is the situation that she is still allowed to be allowed to fly to Europe, or was flying to Europe (from where?) the cause of the blood clot?
sorry to be so unclear, but I was in more shock last night. She's in NY and planned a 3 week trip to visit her only family in Europe. Apparently, the doctor told her she can still go.I don't understand though. She was finding it very hard to breath and was about to be released from hospital last night but she asked to stay longer.Also; morphine is the last resort of painkiller, no? All I want to know is if I should go see her now and how serious is it from now on forwards? she seems not to tell us everything, or may not realise the severity. T
I am just a bit  surprised that her doctor would OK a flight when she already has an existing clot in her lung.  Members of my family work in the field of aviation, and I am aware that a rare complication of long flights - and usually developing in persons with pre-existing,  'compromised' health conditions - is the development of blood clots, including clots that form or move into the lungs.  

BUT, her doctor says it is OK, so he must have facts that we do not have!

As for whether you should visit now,  I would say yes, but not because I perceive anything in your posts that indicate time is very short.  The fact is that we just never know when "that" time will come, until the very, very end.  I am dealing right now with a, "Is this serious, should we visit now?" situation in  my work.  My primary client is receiving hospice care.  The client has been in a weakened condition for well over a year, and it would seem that death should be expected at any time.  However,  this "should we visit now?" situation has been going on for about four months!   One just never knows.  The human body can surpass incredible odds, so your mother might well be here a year from now.  

The primary consideration is how you will feel if she passes before you have a chance to be with her again.   I am guessing that seeing her soon might hinge on whether she makes the trip to Europe?  You will know if that trip comes to pass very soon.  If not, and  you feel called to visit her, then do not delay a trip because it might be perceived that you are "giving up" on her condition.  You can always visit again, and again, as long as time allows.

Whatever occurs,  please know that I am praying for strength for both of you.