Ovarian Cancer Community
Borderline ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Borderline ovarian cancer

Hi all, I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy 4weeks ago. My gyn team told me I had bilateral ovarian cancer with two tumours -one on each ovary 18 cm and 10cm, I also had acites (ascites)(fluid) which during surgery they drained 4 litres. Two weeks later the results of the biopsy had came back and I was told the original diagnoses was incorrect!!!!!

I was confused but felt as though I had been granted a miracle when told it was borderline ovarian cancer, however I was not told a stage, which seems to be done during surgery,,,,

I live in Ireland and I am assuming that I'm pretty much on my own with this being so rare also I was told that one Timor was serous and the other was mutinous (I apologise for spelling )

Has anyone else had a similar type, I am seeing my oncologist tomorrow and my surgical team have conflicting advise one says chemo is unnecessary while the other recommended 4 weeks . I'm so confused, also there seemed to be nothing cynical in the acites (ascites) !!!!!!

Does anyone have any advise
Hi, what a scary thing to go thru.  I was diagnosed with serous borderline ovarian cancer in 2002.  A borderline diagnosis is tricky pathology and my doctor had a second opinion done on the pathology (by a specialist in gyno pathology) to be certain.  Thankfully it came back the same diagnosis at stage 1a.  Yours is interesting that you basically have two different types.  Chemo is not usually recommended for borderline serous tumours, I'm not sure about mucinous though, you may want to research that one.  Basically borderline tumours are slow growing and chemo works best on fast growing tumours.  I had 6 month follow-ups for 5 yrs. and just have a regular yearly check up now and all is well!  Here's hoping the same for you!
Oh, and I recommend to get copies of the pathology report and even the surgical report and copies of all blood work etc.  I found that to be helpful in understanding fully what was going on.