Ovarian Cancer Community
CA 125 question about results, are they ever 0?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I just had the CA 125 done and my result is 13.
Does the test ever come back at 0?
I am concerned as I have abdominal pain and feel like there is a baseball in there.  I am thin, under 100 pounds.  Also, a maternal aunt died from ovca.
Thank you,
M

a normal CA125 is under 35, so anything under 35 is within the normal range, however, many factors can elevate the test so it is not always accurate.
I have just had abdominal hysterctomy...complete removal of both ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, and cervix.  I am 32 years old with NO FAMILY history of cervical cancer.  My CA 125 test was positive, but was A VERY LOW number.  When I had surgery (last week), the mass on my ovary was the size of a medium cantaloupe!!!  At this time I am not sure what the name of the malignant cells are as they were sent to Boston for analysis.  If you have a mass...if you can feel ANYTHING in your abdominal area and are having cramps or any unusual symptoms GO TO YOUR GYN and DEMAND A SONOGRAM.  I was treated for almost 5 weeks for a urinary tract infection and I finally went to my GYN and 2 weeks later have major surgery.  Please note that I feel so much better, in fact, I felt better 2 days post op than I did the week before surgery.  I also believe in the healing power of prayer and I believe that God is healing me.  This could be your life, don't mess around.  Good luck.
Thank you for your comments.  I am glad you are healing.
Off to find a DR that will listen.
-Mergie