Ovarian Cancer Community
Can a mass cause a false positive pregnancy test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ok, I am about 6 days late and finally bit the bullet and took a pregnancy test which turned positive in like 30 seconds.  I have had some very slight spotting over the last 2 weeks, which came at the time it normally would before my regular period.  I never had any symptoms with my cyst before, which was 2.3cm 6 weeks ago (another ultrasound today for f/up).  But NOW I am starting to have some cramping and pain in my leg on that side. (Pain is probably a strong word...it's achey (achy), I guess.  I'm not sure if it is regullar aches and pains, or if I am just noticing the pains now that I know the cyst is there?  It is in no way debilitating, just annoying.)

I was pretty sure that I was not likely to be pregnant, so I just bought one of those plus or minus tests, and didn't bother to wait until morning to take it.  

So I am wondering:  1.  Can the complex mass in my right ovary cause a false positive?  
2.  Can a pregancy (I am still very dubious about whether it IS a pregnancy or not) cause increased symptoms in a mass?
3.  If I do need this mass removed, has anyone done that while pregnant?
4.  Do they turn positive that fast?  It seems much quicker than the 2 minutes they prescribe.  I have no symptoms except that my boobs are in fact gigantic... but perhaps they are hitting their prime a little late in the game :) ?

I had to take the rest of the day off work I am so floored by this new development.  When it rains it pours.
~Androsiane.
I can not really be much help about if the cyst can cause i false positive, but i will tell you that it turning fast so quickly i believe is the norm if you are pregnant, both time i have been pregnant, the pocitive result showed up just as quickly as the other standard "bar" on the test...i have heard of cysts raising hormone levels, but  i havent heard of it giving false positives...but that doesnt mean it cant happen.  Also, with both my pregnancys especially my last one i was extrememly crampy at first....felt like i was going to get my period...dont know if this would help at all, hope it does. good luck.
Toni
It helps, thanks.  It all helps.  I don't want to call anyone yet because Eckerd Drugs and I together could be wrong, so you guys may be the first to know.  I DID read that ovarian tumors as well as testicular cancer can raise HCG levels - I knew about the testicular cancer from having a friend take a pregnancy test on a lark in college and low and behold, the positive reading was his ticket to the doctor's office.

I'm going to buy another one and do it again before Monday.  I can't imagine that the rad tech will let me know anything as she does the US, those women do nothing but freak me out when I'm in there, looking at the screen and clicking away.  But maybe she'll be able to tell for sure.

A.
If memory serves me right.  A dermoid cyst can cause a false positive pregnancy.  This is the reason that my previous family doctor did not trust pregnancy tests.  He had another doc's wife as a patient.  She got a positive pregnancy test.  They then found out the she had a cyst that caused the positive.  I think with my pregnancy( I kept charts and temps etc because I was receiving clomid to get pregnant) he would not believe I was pregnant until he could hear the heart beat.  It did not help that I had a blighted ovum that caused pregnancy symptons the previous year.  It terminated itself at 10 weeks.  
Hope this helps.  It would be terrible to have that hanging over your head.