Ovarian Cancer Community
Complex cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Complex cyst

I am having pain in my right lower back, I had a CT scan which said I had a 5cm cystic lesion in right pelvis. My family doctor sent me for ultrasound. The impression on report said Large complex collection in the pelvis. 10cm complex\hemorrhagic cyst or cystic mass right side of pelvis. I'm going to see my ob\gyn in one week. What is really weird is that I had a complete hysterectomy 8 years ago. I have really back right lower back pain, fullness in my right abdomen area. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm really worried.
You need to have prompt follow-up for this mass.  Any complex cyst greater than 5cm runs a greater chance of being malignant.  Most do still turn out to be benign.  But, you can't take any chances.  You need to be referred to a gynecologic oncologist.  Here is a link with some more important information about gyn/oncs:

http://www.wcn.org/articles/treatment/gynecologic_oncologists/overview/

Even if the mass is benign, it is pretty big at 10cm.  If it ruptures, you may have other complications.  I hope you get some help soon!

Thank you for your thoughts. I will be glad to see my ob\gyn on Thursday. After reading the posts on here, I am going to ask to be sent to an gyn\oncologist. It's just frustrating how everything moves sooo slow to get any answers. I can deal with anything if I just know what I have to deal with. Not to mention the pain is horrible and is pressing on my bladder and frequent trips to the bathroom. I hate there are so many women on here with cysts and cancer but it is nice to get to talk to other women.
Since there is some suspicion based on your TV-sonogram I would immediately find a good GYN/Oncologist surgeon. I am not suggesting what you have is cancer but studies have shown that treatment of ovarian cancer by nongynecologic oncologists and by low volume surgeons is associated with suboptimal surgical management. I would reccomend going to a large tiertiary hopsital where they see large volumes of patients.  This is not to make you worry even more but to make sure that the Dr who treats you has vast experience with diagnosing and treating various types of GYN / Onc issues if that is what it turns out to be. If the Dr wants to remove the cyst/mass via laprascopic procedure PLEASE make sure they have much experience with removing these INTACT! All too often I read posts from patients who say their Dr thought it was a cyst and removed it haphazardly causing a rupture and seeding of the pelvis with cancer cells, only to be found on pathology post removal.
Next: From experience I would be asking for an MRI of the abdomen/pelvis ,MRI's are very precise when read by a Radiologist that specializes in GYN/ONC, My wife went to a radiology practice that does all types of MRI's and the Radiologist read her MRI as a fibroid. I then took her to Sloan Kettering in NYC to see a GYN/ONC surgeon Dr Carol Brown who had the MRI repeated by a GYN/ONC Radiologist who called her DX to the tee which was confirmed after surgery.
The best advice you see all over these posts is you have to be your own advocate, be aggresive (aggressive) and stay on top of your phycicians. Get copies of all your tests/results as you are entitled to them. Post with any other questions you have this site has some very knowledgeable people on it. I wish you all the best.
Kevin