Ovarian Cancer Community
High White Blood Cell Count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

High White Blood Cell Count

I have had abdominal pain for about 3 mths and finally it bugged me so much I had it checked out.  Just had ultrasound Friday and blood work a week before.  They called from the clinic and said I should come in IMMEDIATELY which was distressing in itself.  I was told that I had an elevator white blood cell count, although the reason isn't yet know.  Other than pain mentioned above I haven't been ill, other system is extreme tiredness, sleepy even though I'm in bed early.  Anyone offer any info please?  Doctor is telling me to wait for results but I'm begginning to feel sooo afraid.

Thnx

Sandy
I just found out a couple months ago I had a high white blood cell count. I found out when I went in for a pap smear. I really want to know too why this is happening. I hope that we dont have cancer or some disease.
Tell me what happens when you test come back. Then we can put our ideas together.
Sandy... a high white count is indicative of an infection...maybe a yeast infection, were you givien antibiotics?  Keep us posted
You have an infection somewhere in the body that is raising the white count. Do you by any chance have an IUD, they do cause abcesses  which can raise the WBC and also cause abdominal pain. Any pelvic inflammatory condition also causes this.  Did the dr do a pelvic and a pap?  You need antibiotics to fight this.  
I'm sure you have your results back by now. I hope they are good.

SimplyStar
Assuming that an elevated WBC count sole cause is an infection is absolutely incorrect.

Elevated WBC count can have many causes and infection is only 1 of them.

If the levels are extremely high, there is a definite concern for cancer when level are generally speaking <20,000. There is always general health concerns though when levels go above the 10,000 mark.

If you are worried about cancer there are some general guidlines that they say you should have medical consult for:
1) losing more than 2 lbs per week over the last month without "dieting"
2) abnormal bleeding
3) cuts/sores taking a longer time than normal to heal
4) tired all the time

For better definitions than I have provided and more signs and symptoms
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_3X_What_are_the_signs_and_symptoms_of_cancer.asp

White blood cells (leukocytes) help fight infection in your body. A normal white blood cell count is between 4,500 and 10,000 cells per microliter. A high white blood cell count (leukocytosis) isn't a specific disease. But it may indicate an underlying problem that requires medical evaluation. Causes of a high white blood cell count include:

Infection
Use of certain medications, such as corticosteroids, antibiotics or anti-seizure drugs
Severe physical or emotional stress
Chronic bone marrow diseases such as a myeloproliferative disorder
Acute or chronic leukemia
Tissue damage, such as from burns
I have been going through the same thing.  I have bad constant pelvic pain all of a sudden.  I haven't gotten my pap back yet but I have high white blood cell count in blood and urine.  They know there is an infection but they have NO idea what it is.  They keep testing but everything comes back negative.  They did an ultrasound...negative.  I am very scared too so please know you are not alone  
I have had high white blood cell count for at least 2 years now. Same thing...everything is negative. I dont want to wake up one morning and discover I have anything. I dont have a symptoms ( i think). Nothing out of the normal. What the hell is wrong ????
My 1yr &3mth baby is diagnosed with High WBC since Jan 2008 - reason un known.

I am very much worried can any one suggest some tests or futher investigation to be carried out to know the cause of this.

I have had a high white blood cell count now for many years....Nothing has ever come about as I never made anything of it, I was always given an antibiotic and told that there is an infection somewhere in my body.

I had a physical exam a month ago and again I was told that I had a high white blood cell count. My doctor didnt think much of it and said that I might have an infection some where that if I started to run a fever to come back in as well I had a high blood cell count in my urine however the test came back negative for an infection.

I didnt run a fever so I didnt go back into the doctors this past month however what I do have now is a white coating on my tongue and a few bumps, as well this unexplainable brusing , 24 bruises in total out of no where, I set up an appt with my Doctor next week for over a week now , I have a bad feeling inside the same feeling I have had for some time that there is something wrong with me now with this coating on the tongue, the high counts and the brusing along with swollen lymp nodes in my armpits may suggest an illness that I am not ready to face , any idea's what this may be ? Thank you
I went to the doctor for a pap and they told me that I had a UTI and blood in my urine.They also said I had swollen pelvis lymph nodes. I was given some antibiotics.... I went back in two weeks I was told that I had increase white blood cells and blood in my urine and the lymph nodes were as large as a quarter. I havent been ill and don't know what is going on. My pelvis hurts on and off in the region of the nodes; nothing major... I made another appointment with another doctor... I have been tired lately even after a good night sleep..

Does anyone know anything abouth these problems, Please help..
hitere i recently went to the doctors because i was having really severe pain in my right side and deep pain on the side of my side they sent me for a blood test and it came back saying my white blood cells where high so she give me antibiotics and took swabs and sent me for a pregnancy test the prgnancy test came back negative and the swabs came back normal. so is there something still wrong with me or am i worrying about nothing please help has this is concerning.
Hi looking for a little help, my girlfriend had slight pain in her back near her kidneys and went to the doctors, a urine test was taken and on the day they stated it came back three out of four signs for a urine infection.  She was given antiboitics and has since had another urine result back saying that she has a high blood cell count and is to give another urine test. We are both obvouisly worried, can anyoune help?
For about a year I have been going to dr. and doing exrays and mri's I have body aches and each time the results are different but the most recent app was because I get sick out of no where I'm losing hair to where it's cloging my tub and is all over my home. In the past there was blood in my urine it went away. There is spots on my lungs and I just found out my WBC count was high. I don't like not knowing whats going on with my body and always getting different results from the dr. Thank you for taking the time to read this
Has anyone that has't replied gotten any word yet? My Dr. said to me( having a high wbc for 2 1/2 yrs ) that it could just be me, He said I don't have cancer (leukemia) so we'll keep an eye on it. This was my hemotologist from yale. So I can't let myself worry to much. Do you think? But our minds do get the best of us!!
the antibiotics alone that were prescribed to your girlfriend may have been the cause for the increase in her wbc.  as i have been doing research on the topic, i find that the use of such medicine can cause an increase.  hope this helps somewhat.
I went in friday to have a pap smear. I was told due to some discharge that may be the normal discharge just before your cycle begins that i have one of two std's. I was told this after I had told the nurse that I have been in and out of the ER and at the hospital for ultrasounds having one say I had a cyst on my right ovary.  Now since i come home tell dh he's irrate and wants to know who i've been doing things with. I only have painful periods every other month when it's on my right side. No other sysmptoms of any kind, other then bruising that I assumed was from my 5 yr old sleeping in my bed a few times a mth, but i get the bruises when she's not sleeping in my bed.
For the past 3 yrs i have had terrible lower abdominal pain and irregular bleeding, pain with intercourse, lower back pain, etc. I went to the er in 2010 when the pain got so bad it would leave me in the fetal possition. Was told they had no idea, given antibiotics and ibu. My wbc was 41000. Pain more intense now and just went to new obgyn yesterday. Wbc is now 62000 but i show no sign of infection. Ob is now concerned about ovarian cancer and I'm waiting on ca125 results. Any ideas what i can expect?
A related discussion, high white blood cell was started.
A related discussion, Health was started.