Ovarian Cancer Community
How many years for a 30 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

How many years for a 30 year old

My daughter is 30 years old. She was just recently told she had serous ovarian cancer.They done a complete hesterecktimie,the had to remove her splean,appendix,tailend of her pancres and half of her large inytestines now she has a colospy bag. Shes a smoker,had a child at the age of 15 and her doctor always says he hopes she live a long life and she has a handful like of sand of nodgules in her adomen still. It stage 3.So does she only have 5 years????
That sounds very serious but the doctors can only guess how much time she has. They can give her the "average" life span of someone in her condition. But so much more depends on how well her body responds to the treatments. I had 2 friends with stage 3. One was gone in a year. My other friend is still going after 12 years of treatment. There was a time when they found some tiny lesions in her eyes and brain but the chemo they used for that helped. She's still chugging along with incredible energy and joy.

Encourage your daughter to keep trying, keep fighting as long as she can. There are a lot of other women warriors out there available to encourage her. They know exactly how she feels. I hope she can find a group or online support as she fights this.
WE are not Statistics. When I was diagnosed my chances we low. I had a rarer form of  Ovarian Cancer IIIc called Clear Cell which does not respond to chemotherapy. They had to leave cancer six places because it was not operable. The chemo worked and I am in remission. I had a friend named Reynolds Price he wrote a book "A Whole New Life An Illness and a Healing". In 1984 he had spinal Cancer and the Doctors gave him no chance. He lived until 2011. The MRI was not in use when he was diagnosed or the laser scalpel They could only take 10% Cancer out at first then with the MRI and laser scalpel they could do more surgery. This book and the fact I knew him shows me we are not statistics. Who knows what is coming around the bend in Medicine. When I got MS there were no treatments. Now they come up with a new one every few months and they do not even know what MS is. WakeForest is growing mouse body parts. They may be able to regrow what we are missing someday.

I am not a Pollyanna but I have so much more hope than I did. It is terrible she has to lose so much but that is the standard of care to take out as much  cancer as they can.

I almost did not treat my cancer I felt what is the use.  I was sad angry and depressed for quite awhile. This weekend I went to an artist retreat and painted 16 paintings. I still have issues but I am alive and pretty happy these days.

I will be thinking of you both. My husband said we just have to get through today. You do not have to do it well just get through it.

Alex