Ovarian Cancer Community
Leaving for a week - clinical trial

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Leaving for a week - clinical trial

I'm leaving first thing Monday morning to begin a clinical trial at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto. It's PXD101 and it's specific to my type of Ovarian Cancer, Micropapillary Serous Carcinoma (MPSC). I'll be having a tumor biopsy done on Monday, then chemo for 5 days and also another biopsy on Friday. I'm wondering if anyone else here has had sucessful results from a clinical trial in the past? I guess I just need to hear some encouraging stories...
I'm doing a trial instead of the typical route of Doxil or Topetocan because I have a type of cancer that is resistant to conventional chemo. It's actually best managed by surgery, but my Dr's won't consider that until I finish this chemo and only if there is tumor remaining.
So, has anyone else done a trial before? What can I expect?
Thanks in advance,
Becky
I haven't done a trial, but I would given the option.  Good luck my thoughts and prayers will be with you.  There are alot of drugs out there that they are testing and they do work, like all of these drugs for some people, may you be the one.
My original chemo was part of a study. Iopted to participate, through luck of the draw I got the experimental combination, gem & carbo, rather than taxil. Turns out that my tumor was more sensitive to that combination so I had reaaly good & fast response
Becky~

I have not participated in a clinical trial before, but have met two amazing ladies in particular, during my travels of taking chemo, who have.  They are both doing wonderfully.  I don't know which trials or what their particular OVCA was diagnosed as, but the point is, there WAS something out there for each one of them. And now, I do hope that what you will get, will shrink those tumors so that surgery is only minimally needed, if at all.  I will be praying very hard for you next week.  Stay strong and positive; remember you have so many around you who love you. Please take some of that kind and caring advice that you are so nice to give to all of us with you when you go to the hospital.  Will you have access to a computer, or will we have to wait until you are done with your weeks'  treatment to hear from you?  Please keep us posted, and God speed.  

Judie :)
My count went down to 5. The test is going on at Saint Peters Hopital, Albany, NY. My doctor was part of New York OncologyHematology, Gynecalogic Oncology. Thing is, no tests were ever done on my brain because it's so rare I guess. 4 tumors by the time anybody looked. Seems like If a patient has insurance to cover, or let the patient have the option to have an MRI done periodically just in case.

It's like the year I spent going repeatedly to doctors.Spring of 2005. Initally I went to a GP for a routine checkup. Bloodwork was done but no CA125, which I think should be done just like a PSA is given to men for prostate  as part of normal checkup. I had a colonoscopy, 1 tiny polyp remove. Told I irritable bowel, told to increase fiber. Meantime I was eating very little because any food resulted in massive diahhreah. But a continued to get bigger & bigger. Back to the doctor, incontinent, cramps. Given pills for cramps, told that just goes with the territory when you have irritible bowel.

Thanksgiving at my daughters' and I was in excruciating pain. I went home to bed, not sick, just felt like something was terribly wrong. On Monday I tried to get in to see my doc but he siad he had no opening, go to ER if important. The ER doctor heard the story, did a quick exam, ordered blood xrays & CT. After several hours Im called my husband where I was & he came up to awit the results. Doctor said they were waiting for CA!@%, but I needed to be admitted so they could do ultrasound in morning. If results were what he suspected I"d have to go to Albany for treatment. He didn't spell it out but I knew what a CA125 was for so we were talking cancer. Since I live 10 min. from Glens Falls Hosp I convinced him to let me go home & return in the morning, why sleep there when I don;t have to. It turnrd out my omentum was alltumor so the ulta sound couldn' show anything, not even a trans vaginal. From there I was immediately sent to a gyn offixce in Saratoga.
She did a complete physical & said to meet her in her office. She put her arm around me & said I had ovaian cancer. Next day I was at Albany Oncologist, following Wed. dec7 a date that will live in infamy, I had surgery for stage 3.
All the best wishes in the world for you Becky, Put you on our prayer list at several churchs,  copied the pic of you and Tyson and showed it to them and all think you are the greatest.
Hi Tybear,

I was going to post a How are you doing Tybear because I didn't see you on the site for awhile. You know you're a "regular." I am wishing you the very best on your trial as I know you were having trouble with your kidneys. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and yes, if you can tell us how you are doing, please let us know. Good luck-Helen

JoA-Great that the trial worked for you.
Hi Becky.... Just want to wish you all the best with the trial, and hope you get great success from it. Thinking of you with a special mention in my prayers.
Best wishes and hugs...Helen...
Becky,
I am about half way thru my Avastin trial.  When I was diagnosed, I immediately got on a trial.  One of the advantages to me is how much individualized attention you get from the research nurse and the constant monitoring.  Last 2 CT scans were clear.  Do keep as updated.  You will be in my heart.
Hello girls,

First of all I want to wish you luck, with the new trial Tybear.  Stephers I sure hope all is well with you also.

I am so sad to say mum passed away yesterday afternoon here in Halifax.  I was with her until her last breath.  3 out of her 4 children were there.  I have to say she is out of pain and in a much happier place.  I know she will miss us but we will miss her so much too!  

Thank you for all your valuable information!

Debbie
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear mum.  Please know that I care.
Dear Debbie... I just want to pass on my thoughts and condolences to you for the loss of your Mum. It's an awful loss for you and the other members of your family, but now your Mum doesn't need to go through anymore pain or upset. I lost my eldest son in 2000 and although time does dull the pain to some degree, it's always there on the special days....like birthdays and Christmas. You will miss your Mum on those special days too, but it helps to know that she is now at peace. Thinking of you at this sad time....hugs...Helen..
Didn't see the drug there... here is the companies website with some data for you to read. http://www.curagen.com/get_prod.php?prod_id=2
Tybear... my mother will be entering a clinical trial soon. As you know she has Fallopian MMMT. She had gemzar and the tumors only grew during the gemzar. Lung and liver mets up to 5.3 liver and 2.5 lung now. Those are just the largest, there are innumerable smaller ones. She is going to Dana Farber in Boston, likely to enter a sutent trial or other similar drug with some sarcoma efficacy. Where does your cancer stand at this point? Best of luck with your trial. Please tell us what drug so we can have some input in letting you know something of what to expect.
Thank you both for your kind words.  I am very pleased I was at my mum's side because I saw the pain she was in and it has helped me cope better.  The funeral is on Thursday and I am thinking that will be the worst day.  I have alot of support but my mum was the best.  She was my rock!  I want to wish everyone on this site the best of luck and keep fighting.  My mum fought until the bitter end.  She is definately an inspiration to everyone who knew her.  

Thanks again for the thoughts.== Debbie Blake