Ovarian Cancer Community
Left ovary swollen and painful

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Left ovary swollen and painful

Hi. I woke up this morning and found that my left ovary was swollen and a bit painful when i pressed on it. I'm 22 years old and I haven't learned much about ovarian cyst, cancer, ect. Would anyone be able to tell me what this could be??
I recently had a benign dermoid cyst removed on the right ovary and it was the size of a tennis ball and it could not be felt through the skin. (i'm a size 4 if that helps) There are many things that it could be. I wouldn't ignore it though. I had lower back pain that would not go away and I ignored it until I couldn't take it any longer and they thought it was kidney stones until the CAT scan came back. I'd see your doctor just to ease your mind
Hi:

What do you mean when you say your ovary is swollen? Your ovary is pretty deep inside your body, so in most cases you don't feel a specific lump on the surface of your body if you have a cyst or swelling there (the cyst would have to be enormous to cause a localized lump on the outside of your body and it would be unlikely that would develop overnight). Sometimes people with cysts or ovarian growths have more general swelling/bloating of their pelvis/abdomen, though.

If you have a lump on your lower left side it might be digestive issue or lots of other things--but a doctor could tell you more!