Ovarian Cancer Community
Lower Back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Lower Back Pain

I am 26 years old with no children. I have had lower back pain concentrated in the right hip area since february of 2005. In the past, I have had overain cysts, more that I can count, 2 kidney infections and the shingles. I have had an MRI, and many Xrays, all negative. At this point, my periods have stopped. I had a Dr.'s apt today, and I am not pregnant. In the past year, I have had more missed periods, than periods. I have never had prior menstral problems,and I am at the point where I am in constant pain. I wake up with the pain. Its the first thing I am aware of in the morning. I am a bartender, however sitting makes the pain worse. I have been on a variety of different pain medications, none which completly take the pain away. It is always there. I am fit & I walk (obviously a lot at work). The only thing that I can correlate is about once a month the pain gets VERY INTENSE for 2 days. At the end of the second day, I will see blood when I use the restroom. Not dark menstral blood, but light pink. Thats all Ive got to go on. My Dr. is lost an so am I. PLEASE Help, if any one knows what the possible problem is. Thank You
I'm not sure if I'll be able to help, but I've had some of the same symptoms.  I am 27 and have no children.  I too have had horrible low back pain since February 2005 on my right side.  My pain also lasted for 2 days.  Mine doubles me over and I can barely walk or move.  The last few months, I also got a horrible stabbing pain in my abdomin (abdomen).  I started realizing that my back pain always happened about 10 - 14 days after my period.  Have you noticed this with yours?

I went in for my yearly exam and mentioned this problem.  They were sure nothing was wrong, but my ultrasound and later MRI showed an ovarian dermoid on my right ovary.  I have surgery next week to remove the dermoid.  I know they haven't found any thing for you yet, but our pains sound so similar I would definitely keep checking!  

Have you had a transvaginal ultrasound?  That's what found mine initially.
Im so glad someone is having the same symptoms. I did have a trans vaginal ultrasound on 3 different occasions. There were cysts on my left ovary that were pretty ugly, but the OBGYN said that they were reabsorbing and going away. That was 5 months ago. Then I felt like I had another cyst, and I want to the ER and they said that the pain medication was causing me to be constipated, and my backed up bowels was what was caising the pain. I live around the corner from the Jones Institute in VA, so I think that Im gonna see what they have to say.
I do notice the pain around my cycle, but like I said, I havent had a priod in a while, so now I dont even know when I'm supposed to be bleeding or what.
Your pain sounds so similar to mine. If I run out of pain medication, I am in tears, and bedridden. Today, I had to go to the pharmace to get my pills at noon, (I ran out last night, so I didnt have anything until I got my script) and I could barely walk to the front counter of the pharmacy.
How are you with sitting/standind? Can you feel the pain first thing in the am? Is it constant? Was the Dr. that diagnosed you a general practitioner or OBGYN?
Thank You for your feedback, and I hope to hear something soon
Sorry it took me awhile to respond.  I've been trying to get things done before my surgery Thursday.  As for sitting and standing, I just didn't for months.  I would have to try to lay down and miss work.  I have pain medication now that helps.  I do tend to notice my pain when I am waking up in the morning, but it has really become constant now.  My OB/GYN is the one who diagnosed me.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not sure I am.  It seems like you have had most of the tests that should find something.  One question though, does endometriosis run in your family?  The reason I ask is that my sister has endometriosis really bad and has been unable to concieve (conceive).  Before the MRI to learn I had a dermoid, they felt confident my severe pain was probably endometiosis.  It apparently doesn't show up on ultrasounds....I guess they can only see it when they get in there and do a laprascopic procedure.??  (from what I understand)  They still think I might have endometriosis with my dermoid, but won't know until Thursday when I have my surgery.  I don't know if this helps, but it may be worth checking out.  This type of pain is not fun and noone should have to go through with this.  I know the pain medication helps, but from what I understand, you don't want to be on it for too long.  They need to find what is causing the pain, not just cover it up.
I have had the same pain for almost a year now and my GYNO told me that I mite have something called painful bladder syndrom (syndrome), which is cyst on the bladder. You mite want to ask about this. I am going to see a urlogist today and next week he will go up in my bladder with a camera to see what is going on.
It all comes with being really bad around that time of the month, when I eat spicy foods, drink alcohole and coffee and chocolate.
I am sorry painful bladder syndrom (syndrome) is olsers on the bladder not cyst.
Hi, I also experience the same symptoms. I am always having low back pain and abdomen pain. Sometimes in the night it will be so painful that I can't sleep and have to take painkiller. But during the day, it is just some dull pain and cramp. Recently I also have a lot of gas in my stomach. My aunt died of ovarian cancer. I don't know whether I am thinking too much. But I am aafraid to see the doctor.