Mets on the brain
Need some help.  One of the woman I became friends with during chemo relapse in October after a year.  Because she had Stem cell transplant her body couldn't take strong drugs so they have not slowed down its growth.  Now she has mets on her brain, what can they do for her and what can expect as her friend so I can help in the best possible way.

I developed brain mets after a brief remission of 9 months after being diagnosed.  My brain lesions were located in the cerebellum and brainstem so that they were essentially inoperable.  We elected to use gamma knife radiation followed by 15 treatments of whole brain radiation.  I am still struggling with the side effects of swelling and having to be on large doses of steroids but I am still alive and fighting.

I would suggest she contact a large reputable cancer center that has experience dealing with these issues.  We chose treatment at Mayo and felt comfortable with our care.  It is very challenging to be dealing with 2 cancers at the same time, having recently found out that my ovarian has recurred.  I hope the best for your friend; let her know there are options out there.

Christa
It is a rare situation where it was found in the brain also. My body was clean but it went to the brain. I had symptoms a little more than a year after I was diagnosed. I believe the implant was already there when I was diagnosed.

Depending on how progressive her disease is, there can be some things that will help. Just as Christa says, go to a good hospital center. It all depends on where it is in your brain. The two spots in my brain were surgically removed. One in 2004 and the next in 2005 on the one that was gamma knifed in 2004. Ideally it has to be small and in the right location so to be gamma knifed. (

Best of luck with your friend.