Ovarian Cancer Community
Mucinous Tumour - Bowel type Chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Mucinous Tumour - Bowel type Chemo

Hi all

I have posted before about my wife who was diagnosed last year with Mucinous Ovarian Cancer. She went through standard Carbo/Taxol treatment which finished at the end of December. During treatment and subsequently she has been having periods of sickness. These were put down to affects of the chemo.

She had a few tests (Gastrographin Follow-through) a couple of weeks back where they diagnosed a blockage in her small intestine. She had surgery 10 days ago and found that her intestine was blocked by a new tumor and (not seen on CT) and they also found a number of other lesions (all very small at this stage) throughout her abdomen and pelvis, including on her diagphram and liver. Throughout treatment and since her CA125 has been between 7 and 9.

There is a discussion going on now between her medical team about the way forward. They are talking about using chemo drugs that are normally used for bowel and other GI cancers (5-FU and Oxaliplatin) as a second line therapy. I remember that Marie3B went on to something similar.(FOLFOX?)

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Any experience? Marie3B?

Clearly my wife has no response to standard drugs so I am not suprised that they are looking in other directions. Mucinous tumors seem to lack response against standard drugs so we are quite prepared to take our chances. Anyone with any other related experience would be welcomed.

(BTW - I have tried over several days to post a similar question to the Expert forum, but the daily limits for new questions is always exceeded..)

bump......
Thanks for bumping this. Still looking for any experiences that anyone has to offer.

Still hoping to hear from Marie 3B!

Update: My wife will begin treatment with 5-FU and Oxaliplatin in a couple of weeks. They will also give her Avastin during and following chemo treatment.

Any thoughts or experiences would be valuable.
I am sorry I did not see this sooner.  I have not been using the forum for a while.  I have had my diagnosis changed to possible GI as the primary site of my cancer so I am not sure my of place here.
I had 7 folfox treatments last year.  It resolved some lesions, but not the tumor near the liver.  I had surgery.  The treatment was hard for me.
I now am on treatment again for recurrence.  They put me on folfox again, but I could only tolerate 2 treaments.  I now take Avastin Leucovrin (sp?) and 5fu weekly. much easier to tolerate.
Mucinous ovarian tumors are often secondary to an unknown primary site.  I may never know if mine is ovarian or colon cancer.  The good thing about the colon dx is the availabilty of Avastin.  I do feel it has helped me, though I have never had a full remission.  
I feel the reason the oxaliplatin was so hard for me is that I had I/P chemo prior with high doses of taxol and cisplatin.  My body has had too much chemo and I couldn't handle the cold sensitivity oxali causes. Many handle it well. Not me.
This new chemo I am on causes some gaggy nausea, but nothing I cannot deal with.  
CA125s were useless for me as a tumor maker. Since being called a colon cancer patient they use CEA tumor marker which did signal my recurrence.  I now have small tumors on the surface of my liver and a tumor in or on the small intestine and some on the stomach.  Small implants are in the abd wall.  Sounds like I am a mess, but actually I manage to babysit all the grandbabies and get along pretty well.  I am sending you my phone # .
I wish you the best.  Feel free to call me anytime.  I am so sorry I was not here to get this sooner.  Maybe this colon cancer patient still should stick around ovca forum.
Drink as much as possible in the days before chemo.  Folfox can make it hard to drink enough.