Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Cyst with Abdominal Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian Cyst with Abdominal Symptoms

I am 45 and pre-menopausal.
Last 12 monthes have experienced abdominal pain and discomfort
(Bloating, acid stomach, irregular bowel, pain in left side).
gastro doc did colonoscopy(neg); endoscopy (neg); liver function (ok), Abdominal/Pelvic CT (found cyst in left ovary).
CA-125 test count of 400, what should I do next?
Casey,
I'll be following your thread closely because your symptoms sound much like mine! although I haven't had a CA125.
Does it hurt when you eat?  I feel like I'm going to explode after I eat, even if I only eat a popsicle.
I wish I had some answers for both of us!
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well either.

My appetite is still very good and can eat regular meals, but I feel full/bloated all the time, especially under my left rib-cage. I also fell like my bladder is full (frequent need to empty it) and have incomplete elimination (feel like I need to go more, feel "stuffy"). Abdominal pain and bloat is so bad I have to lay down every night when I get home from work and this month I began to have trouble breathing (because of pressure on my diaphram/ ribcage).
Needless to say, I am getting a little worried. I hope they figure out if the cyst is casing this.
Have you had a transvaginal ultrasound and did they tell you what type of cyst you have?  If you have a complex cyst or a mass you may want to see a gynecologist/oncologist.  They are experts in ovarian cancer.  Since you have so many symptoms and a cyst and an elevated CA 125 it would probably be a good idea to see a specialist.  Remember that less than 1% of all cysts are malignant but it is better to be safe than sorry.  They did say that CA 125 is not reliable because there are other things that can cause an elevated level, but it is a cause to get it double checked.

Good luck!
Laura :)
The transvaginal ultrasound results:
"left ovary is enlarged measuring 5 x 3.9 x 3.2 cm. A 4.1 x 3.2 x 2.7 echogenic lesion occupies most of left ovary. The lesion completely fills in with echoes and may represent a solid mass. Could represent a solid ovarian neoplasm or a large hemorrhagic cyst filled with clot."

I have seen 10 different doctors [starting with my original gp, his back-up, his np, my gi, new gp and her back-up, emergency room doc (gp thought cyst may have ruptured) and 2 gyn] in the last 6 months and the 2 gynocologists want to "wait and see" and regarding the worsening symptoms, they basically say "tough it out" - thanks for the compassion.
A doctor suggested a cect abdomen and a repeat ca-125.

What is a cect?
TOUGH IT OUT?  What the heck kind of comment is that? arrrggghhhh!!!
Do you trust these docs? or feel that they aren't taking your pain serious?
I think you should take Laura's advice and find someone who has more experience with ovarian cysts.  
Have you posted your symptoms on the 'ask the doctor' forum?
I am soooo sorry that you were told to tough it out, that just doesn't sound right to me and makes me angry.  I really hope and pray that you can find a good gyn/onc close to you.
Mo
I have finally found a great GP who is being pro-active and referred me to a Gyn/Oncologist...but it's still more wait, wait wait...and it's driving me nuts!

I feel awful more than 75% of the month and it has gotten progressively worse each month, especially the last 3 - 4 months, so I am really confused that som eof the docs think this is normal.

I do have a pretty high pain tolerance, so I think I don't appear to be in as much pain as I am, when I see some of the docs.

I think women get the "short end of the stick" when it comes to medical care, even from female doctors. They are all to quick to "writ i off" as a hormone thing and think we should just "suck it up"!!

I am a little frustrated (as you can probably tell).
CECT stands for  Contrast Enhanced Computed Tomography  I would make a guess that this test is related to the MRI  very high image of all tissue