Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Cysts and Menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian Cysts and Menopause

I haven't seen a question about ovarian cysts and menopause.  I have cysts on both ovaries, but my main symptoms are extreme bloating (I look pregnant) and weight gain.  All the weight is in my abdoman--I don't seem to be bigger anywhere else and it's making me really uncomfortable.  I am really short and have went from 110 to 137 and still gaining.  I have had a CT scan (which is how they found out I have the cysts) and have an ultrasound scheduled next week.  What I don't understand is what an ultrasound is going to tell them that the CT scan didn't.  I would think a CT scan would be more precise than the ultrasound.  I've had an ultrasound when I was pregnant, but this is an "internal" ultrashound.  Can anyone explain why the ultrasound is necessary and is this common in menopausal women?  I had a hysterectomy years ago, but they did not remove my ovaries. I'm 52 so I'm assuming this is about the time I would normally go into menopause.

Thank you so much for this site!  It's hard to talk to anyone about all this.
I don't know if cysts are common in menopause, I didn't have any.  I believe that TVUS give a little better picture of the ovaries, and the cysts.  I did not have bloating or quick weight gain with menopause.  Did they do a CA 125 on you?  Do you have the CT report?  are you seeing a OB/GYN?  You could always go to a GYN/ONC, they have advanced study in the treatment of women's problems only - and that doesn't mean they are just for cancer. However if there is any chance that it is a cancer, they are the ones you want to be treating you.  During my last hospitalization, my roommate had the same surgeon as I did, however, her problem was benign.  Make sure you are seeing the best physician for this problem.
Hi  l had a cyst after memopause and a ultrasound to check out my cyst l thought the same as you onuce you go through menapause you have no more promblems but how wrong l was with that  
I went to my family dr, who had the CT scan ran.  She sent the CT scan results to my ob/gyn, who is going to do the ultrasound.  They have not ran a CA 125 as far as I know.  One of the things that have made it hard to pin point when my problems started is the fact that I had a hysterectomy at least 15 years ago, so I've not had any periods in a long time.  I don't really know, but I'm assuming I'm going through menopause because I'm 52.  I go for the ultrasound next week.  What I don't understand, but will ask when I see him, is why they are going through this.  Won't the cysts have to be removed one way or another anyway?  I'm assuming that's the only way to get rid of the bloating.  It's really uncomfortable--I'm not able to eat hardly anything at one time because I get so full.