Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian neoplasm possible.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian neoplasm possible.

My mom recently found a lump in her pelvic area which has since been identified as a pelvic "mass" and following an ultrasound has been referred to as complex/septated.  The US report posts ovarian neoplasm as a question.  

She is 61 years old and is postmenopausal.  I've heard conflicting reports of benign ovarian cysts post menopause. I am terrified that this could be OC.  She recently had a CA125 test and today had a CT scan.

We are now awaiting next steps.  While I know that the CA125 test is not conculsive can anyone provide some insight as to what would be considered a "high" result?  Also, is it possible that this pelvic mass (which is approximately 15 cm) could be benign?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.  We are really scared.

The only way to know for certain if the mass is cancer is a biopsy.  All the scans do is suggest that it might me, so surgery will be recommended.  If your mother is not seeing a GYN/Oncologist she should be.  A regular GYN is not the person to do the surgery.  The Oncologist part does not mean that you have to have cancer, what it means that if it is, you have the person best educated to provided the surgery that is necessary to give one the best chance.

The normal CA 125 is below 35, however you can still have cancer without an elevation, so I am back to the biopsy and the surgery.  SEE a GYN/ONC. they surgery that is necessary if it is cancer needs to be done by and expert, to give your mom the best shot at making it.    

I understand how you and especially your mother is feeling, it is a very scary time, and will be till you get a date for surgery and hear the diagnosis.

I am 41, and I also have a septated cyst. They see a flow within the septations and I have some pelvic fluid. Mine is 7 cm.  I have had a transvaginal ultrasound and a MRI with contrast and both suggest I may have a malignancy.  They did a CA125 test, but the one oncologist said it is not good for detecting ovarian cancer, she said it is only good for tracking treatments.  My estrogen is also really high, 896.  Unfortunately, the only way they can find out what it is, is with surgery.  I am scheduled for surgery on May 21.  The doctor that is doing the surgery is a gynocologist/oncologist.  

I can tell you that it is scary not knowing what it is.  Hang in there.  My prayers go out to you and your Mom.

Hugs!
Larain
Thank you very much for your feedback.  My mom's CA125 level has come back as 32.  After having the CT scan her GYN has let us know that the mass does not appear to have changed from the time of the ultrasound and that they did not find any free fluid.

Her test results were sent to a cancer clinic for further review and we expect to hear next week whether or not a GYN/ONC or a GYN will be doing the surgery.  We expect to hear something about next steps early next week.

This process seems to take forever (or maybe it just feels that way given the circumstances).  

All the very best to you with your surgery.  I will keep you in my prayers.
I also had a CT scan on 3/19 that showed a 17 cm pelvic mass saying  ovarian neoplasm could not be excluded.  Also showed fluid around the mass.  Yes, it does take time, it took me two months by the time I found a surgeon to surgery day.  That was this past Tuesday May 8.  The mass was a cyst that came back benign as did the fluid.  Hang in there and most important, stay positive.  This could be the case with your mother, just stay positive it sounds all too scary I know all to well.