Ovarian Cancer Community
PCOS and Ovarian Cancer...anyone having these symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I recently visited my gynecologist because of severe lower abdominal pain. He did a pap that visit and noticed my pain was across both sides of my abdominal area and I had some discharge he thought I had an infection and prescribed an antibiotic. I came in a week later for a vaginal u/s and he showed me my left ovary that it was a little polycystic and then he tried for the right side and wasn't able to see that ovary at all. This side caused major pain while trying to locate it. So he tells me he thinks there's more than just PCOS going on and wants to a laparoscopy and see what's going on. He said he may have to remove my right ovary and check my appendix (wasn't sure about that but he's the doctor). Anyhow, my main concern on my first visit was my chance of having ovarian cancer because I was having the pain in my lower abdomen and pain in my lower back, frequent need to urinate (and hardly nothing comes out, but my bladder feels like it's gonna explode), fatigue all the time. Although I have no problem eating I guess everyone's symptoms are different. I have had PCOS for 17 years and have had no children plus I am very overweight. I feel that my risks are extremely high but my doctor tells me I am to young for ovarian cancer...what do you think???
No one's risk for ovarian cancer are extremely high, it is a relatively rare disease.  Also, I was told by a GYN/Oncologist, a cyst doesn't turn bad like many other cancers, it is either cancer or it is not.  

What about a CT Scan, or an MRI, before juming into laprascopic surgery?  And if there is even the slightest chance of cancer, please get a 2nd opinion, preferrably from a GYN/Oncologist....they are the specialist with an additional 3 years of training.  

Cysts can produce all the symptoms you are describing.

I would ask that they do other tests before an invasive procedure.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I just assumed this was what we needed to do. I am seeing my GYN in a few days before my scheduled surgery I will ask about a CT scan and MRI. I do have PCOS and during the ultrasound he made a comment that my right ovary seems to be attached to my uterus and that I  have some endometrioma (excuse my spelling) so...I guess I will just ask more questions and see what the surgery finds. Thanks again for replying.