Ovarian Cancer Community
Postmenopausal Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Postmenopausal Hysterectomy

Hi: I forgot to include this question in my last post.  I am postmenopausal (about a year and a half) & am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy.  I read a lot about physical/emotion effects of hysterectomies on premenopausal women, but can't find any information about the physical and emotional effect on women who've already gone through menopause.  Is there still some hormonal effect on 'p. m.' women?  I'm wondering if I'm still producing some small level of hormones that are going to be affected (removed). Could you tell me?  Thank you so much.
Hi there,  I am really sorry to hear about your test results.  I still remember the sinking feeling when I got mine.  After reading both posts I want to make sure you are getting follow up with a gynecolgic oncologist.  It can make the world of difference for you.  Here is a link to help you find one in your area and also has a link to read why a gyn/onc is important:

http://www.wcn.org/interior.cfm?diseaseid=13&featureid=4

Here is another link of 10 things to do if you suspect you have ovarian cancer.  

http://www.oreilly.com/medical/news/ovarian_ten_things.html

This was the best book I read to fill me in on what to expect.  I ordered it from amazon and read it in the hospital after my surgery.  For me, knowledge is calming.  

That said, it is unlikely your mass is a fibroid in that location.  Unfortunately, masses that size are more likely malignant postmenopausal rather than premenopausal.  But don't lose hope..it could still be benign. I have seen many on this board have benign outcomes when it looked malignant by textbook standards.  

I am 37 and was dx with stage 1a last July.  Because it was cancer I had all removed and complete staging. I won't lie..the lack of hormones has been awful for me but most who are postmenopausal don't notice as much of a change.  Some women don't have the same troubles I have had.  I think because I still had lots of estrogen and then a complete shut off it made it worse.  I am adjusting though with time.  There are lots of things you can do depending on what side effects you are having.  Lack of hormones is nothing compared to leaving organs and risking sooner recurrence.  

My gyn/onc was going to leave my other ovary and uterus if the frozen section came back benign.  You will want to discuss this with your dr. since you have concerns.  

As far as the fear and anxiety...just pray.  That is what worked the most for me.  Realize this is out of your control and you will be able to handle the outcome no matter what!  I did go through a rollercoaster of emotions but then I was determined I was going to fight it.  Don't second guess yourself.  Just pamper yourself with baths, funny movies and journaling also helps.  This board does wonders too.  You can always post your thoughts.  Unfortunately,  it is a scary walk but you could still have a benign condition.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing!!!   Hang in there!
I had a hysterectomy in peri-menopause.   I don't feel any different physically than I did before (no thinner, darn it).

And, I had absolutely no emotional reaction to having the hysterectomy.  

I hope it will be a tremendous relief to you to have all of the problems removed during such a routine, but scary, procedure.  Anxiety is absolutely normal, but focus on the peace of mind it will bring. : )

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Kathy