Ovarian Cancer Community
Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Symptoms

We all know the more common symptoms, but who else has experienced these lesser mentioned ones:

* Nausea, indigestion or gas
    * Unusual fatigue/weakness
    * Shortness of breath

Can they be found with benign and malignant cysts alike? Or are they more symptoms of one and not the other?

Really struggling staying at work today. Sitting in a chair is not comfy and I really want to get out these pants!! Stress of the wait for results of course isn't helping, and I'm perhaps focusing on my symptoms more because of this.
Oh, yes they were benign(very large,softball sized, but benign)!  99.8% of dermoids are benign!!! Of course you don't know until the path reports come back, but statistics are good.  Do you know if that is what you have?
~Tascha
I hear ya "Cysta"--My stomach is falling over my pant waist, and when I sit up in my computer chair my lower back aches (and it's a fancy ergonomic $$ chair from my comapny).  I feel like there are compressions on my lower back..but some people have told me it could be referred pain.  Ugghhh.  OK--I feel fat and crampy....makes me a crabby girl.  Gotta run to hit a deadline..I am trying to atleast put in a 1/2 days work, my work productivity has gone from 90% on 2/6 to about 40% effectiveness.  I am trying to look at work as a way to keep my mind off things.

:)  Cysta Bloat in SF (aka, Laura)
I don't know what it is yet...just that something +6cm is growing on my ovary. I just called the imaging center - had a US and TVU on Tuesday...they sent the results over to my doctor 15 minutes ago, so I am now hounding his assistanmt for an immediate appointment. I just know 6cms of something that shouldn't be there, plus an +8cm fibroid are very painful!!
LOL "cysta".....I'm about 20% effective at work right now. I met my husband for lunch...that's a joke.....two mouthfuls and I feel so full. I wonder - when I finally de-bloat will I have actually lost weight and be slimmer lol
Hey, I lost 8 lbs post surgery and since the swelly belly is gone, I dropped a size (Oh Yeah!!)
~Tascha
I feel like a whale.  When I go home from the office my stomach is so swollen I look pregnant.  I gained at least 2 pounds from the ultrasound visit until yesterday.  My productivity at work is maybe 20%.  I just cannot keep focused.

I know how you are all feeling.  I was dxd 11/15/05 with my masses and my surgery was 12/21/05.  I must say, I have no recollection of Thanksgiving because I could not concentrate on anything but this alien inside of me.  It is wonder I wasn't fired!!  I know now that is sounds a little contrite to say Don't worry, but you really can't do anything by worrying.  I just hope that all goes well for each of you and you are all in my prayers.  Sending hugs!
~Tascha
I look about 5-6 months pregnant too. Half the time the fullness makes me feel like a baby's head is bouncing around inside too. I cannot focus either. I just wish they would hurry up and call now. I'm sorry you feel this way too lacjmc.
I have had the digestive symptons, but I also have IBS.  The only real sympton I have is pain on my left side and the bloated, full feeling.
May I ask if your dermoids were benign?
Thank you both for your replies. It gives me some reassurance I am not totally wierd ;)

I'm just full of questions today. Like, what rate of growth do these things takes...1cm a month....faster, slower? No average rate? I have no idea.
I had all of those symptoms prior to the removal of my dermoids!!!  Hope it helps.
~Tascha
My Abdominal CAT 2/6/06 revealed bilateral adnexal cystic lesions (3cm left & 1.5 cm right)with a small amount of free fluid in pelvis.

I have experienced the feeling of being full & bloated for about 6 weeks now.  I have even gone up a size in my pants & had unexplained weight gain (even though I eat the same thing everyday becasue I am on a strict food plan) and began cutting back & exercising more because I thought it was metabolism related (I'm 36).  But even thought abdominal CAT scan did not indicate any abdominal ascites, my stomach is falling out over the waist in my pants and I feel incredibly fat, full, bloated and huge.   I sit at a computer all day for work and I am uncmfortable in all my pants, even my "fat pants."  Uggghhhh...I hope my transvag u/s on Tues 2/21 sheds somelight on what the heck is going on.

:)  Laura
Thanks you Gatsby :) I feel a little more normal in my symptoms now.

Laura...I hear you. I'm sat at my desk leaning backwards about as far as I can because it hurts to sit up straight, even in my "big pants"...not so big now. I have a +6cm ovarian cyst and a +8cm fibroid.....that's as much as I know so far, because I grilled the US techie. There may be other things..I just didn't spot them to ask.
I feel the same as you.  Seem to be focusing way too much on symptoms.  I have a lot of acid reflux, overall fatigue (probably from stress), and do have a bit of shortness of breath.  Are they related or just coincidence....who knows??
Regarding your unusual fatigue/weakness and shortness of breath: I have those symptoms at the moment and I believe they are from my severe anemia.  I can't work out like I like to, and I am dizzy too.  I am hoping this will be resolved when I have my poor old tired uterus removed next week.  I have very heavy bleeding/clots/two week long periods caused by fibroids, and a couple of complex ovarian cysts.  My doctor did send me for a colonoscopy, which I appreciated, he said he sends everyone whose blood is that low for this test to rule out colon cancer.  It came back normal. I was more worried about that than the ovary/uterus stuff.
YOu might consider having some blood work done to rule out anemia.  It seems to be a common symptom with the women on this site.
Love and prayers to all (and gee thanks for the nasty storm you sent up here to Canada, it is -37 with the wind chill!) Katie
Gee, we share so much, what's a little blizzard among friends?  Stay warm.
~Tascha
I have some of the same symptoms with my 5cm complex cyst ...I've had occasional nausea (morning sickness, ha!), been gassy, and have cramps, pressure, a burning feeling in my right "bikini line", and some pain in right hip bone, with radiating pain to right waist line area up to right kidney/lower back area....my uterus is retroverted, so maybe that's the reason for the back pain. I've been constipated, but don't know if there is any relation, as I've had to deal with bouts of constipation before.... Another weird symptom is the feeling of fetal kicks....Does anybody feel like a baby is kicking? Maybe it's just air bubbles rolling around in there!
I had the "baby kicking' feeling too, but I thought Gee, surely I just imagined that....maybe not.  My dermoids were so big that they just pushed everything out of the way.  Now it is all resettling and that is just as weird (just not painful, thank God).  Our bodies are wonderous things and they let us know (albeit in strange ways) that something is not quite right.  Take care and let me know how things go.  My prayers are with you.
~Tascha