Ovarian Cancer Community
The BIG Day and Thanks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

The BIG Day and Thanks

My mum has 'checked' into the hospital today in preparation for the surgery tomorrow. I would like to thank all who has sent private messages to me and I am unable to reply them.

My mum had tolerated 3 chemo sessions well. Except for the loss of hair, there are little side-effects. She in fact looked radiant compared to the period before the diagnosis of cancer. The doctor has also 'downgraded' the initial cancer stage from 4 to 3 as the chemo showed that the cancer on the liver are   spread from the ovary and not liver metatisis. This means that they could be scrapped off during the surgery.

My mum has 3 doctors to oversee my mum - the gynae doctor, the stomach doctor and the chemo doctor. They are all pretty young to my mum - the gynae and the stomach doctors are in their 40s and the chemo doctor is only in his 30s! But one thing is that all the 3 doctors worked very closely. My mum is supposed to have the surgery first before the chemo but the chemo doctor persuaded the 2 other doctors to hold back until the situation stabilizes. This could well be the right decision - after 2 chemo sessions, half the tumors were gone and the rest were shrunken and the CA125 dropped to 15. In fact, the chemo doctor is pretty optimistic that even without the surgery, the cancer would have disappeared by the end of the 6 sessions since my mum responded well to the chemo. So the 2 surgery doctors are very happy and predict that the surgery would be much shorter than expected.

I feel very lonely right now after leaving the hospital but I do think my mum has the best care available. The doctors are very caring. Today is a Sunday - the moment my mum reaches the ward, the doctor actually made a call to my mum's ward from her house and talked to my mum for half an hour reassuring her. And at 9 pm, the doctor actually came down from her house although it is a off-day for her to see my mother. The chemo doctor also promised to see my mum before the surgery although I feel like telling him that while it is ok to see my mum before the surgery but please do not make a 'guest' appearance during the surgery as we would have to pay for his 'consultancy' fee at the operating theatre too....lol.My father has been in and out of hospital so I do have a not-so-nice-view of all doctors. I would say that my mum's doctors are really different from what I have expected. Really - from initial diagnosis to treatment - the doctors have really shown much care - I am truly touched that the doctors actually called my mum over the phone a few times just to check on her.

Of course, the Chinese medication really helps too. They are really expensive but they worked well 0in minimizing the chemo side-effects. And......the funny part, my mum's hospital bed has a good view of the Chinese physician clinic. My mum has to stop the Chinese medication now but we would be starting again about 1-2 weeks after the surgery.

Once again, I would like to thank the good souls on this board who have helped tremendously. I sometimes tell my mum some interesting and inspiring cases I read on this board.  
  Please know that we will all be thinking of your mum and praying that all goes well. She sounds like she is in good hands. And the news of them downgrading from stage IV to III is excellent!
  I know how hard this must be on you, just remeber that we are all here for you. (by the way, all of my Dr's were younger than me too. And like your mums, my chemo Dr is only 33!)
  Please let us know how things turn out when you get the chance. And tell your mum that she is in our thoughts and prayers.
        Love, Chris
Hello... and I just want to wish your Mum all the best with the operation. She will soon be up and around, and hopefully in remission. Hugs...Helen...
I will be praying for you mum and I am sure she will be fine!!!  Hugs to you and her.. Shannon
Thinking of you and your Mom today....