Ovarian Cancer Community
bilateral ovarian cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

bilateral ovarian cysts

Today while having an ultrasound for an unrelated problem, the dr found bilateral ovarian cysts.  He called them complex and said one had some solid component.  He thinks they are from what looked like severe endometriosis.  Ive never had any problems to suggest endometriosis.  I have never had any pain at all, my periods are normal and he couldnt feel them on exam.  They are approximately the size of oranges.  I am scheduled for surgery on May 14.  Does any of this suggest cancer or hopefully, endometriosis?  Is bilateral worse than unilateral?  Is no pain better or worse than painful cysts?

Thank you
I also had the exact same thing as you. I went in for something unrelated and found out I had bilateral ovarian cysts which were also labeled "complex". I had just had my annual exam 2 days before the ultrasound and my doctor did not feel anything unusual. Mine were also the size of oranges. I had a total hysterectomy the following week and the cysts turned out to be endometriomas. My doctor was pretty sure before I went into surgery that this is what was going on and thank God he was right. At my consult before surgery he told that since it involved both ovaries the chances were better that it was endometriomas. He said he would have been more concerned if it had only involved one ovary. I was done having children so I opted to have a total hysterectomy because the chances of endometriomas coming back are quite high. Just because you have no pain does not mean you don't have endometriosis. Alot of women are shocked to find out they have it after they have surgery.
Try to stay positive about the whole thing. I don't know what kind of surgery you doctor has scheduled but I just want you to know that I have never felt bettter in my life since my surgery. I suffered terrible every month and had alot of pain so the choice to take all of it out was an easy one for me. Let us know what happens.
I too am suffering from billateral cysts...from what I hear 99% of cysts are benign and I beleive if they are bilateral that can be a better sign.  I also have been diagnosed with endometriosis and have had cysts before..good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you!!!!!!  It is so nice to hear a story so similar to mine and with such a positive outcome.  Thank you for sharing with me.  I am scheduled for surgery to remove the cysts on May 14.  He mentioned that they may have to remove the ovaries too.  I have already had my children so thats fine with me.  Did you have any bladder/urinary problems because of the cysts?  The only pain I have is similar to a bladder infection but I tested negative for infection and for interstitial cystitis so Im wondering if the cysts are putting pressure on my bladder or something?