Ovarian Cancer Community
chemo and a cold
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

chemo and a cold

Does anyone know if they give chemo when you have a cold?  I am due for the next round on Monday, and am coming down with a cold - it's too late to call the office and I am curious.  Thanks
Marie
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
Good question. I wonder if your white cell count will be lower.

Blank
Hello... over here, they don't. If you have a fever, cold, flu.. then chemo is deferred until you are better. There's a notice on the door of the clinic I attend, for my chemo, and they won't let anyone in there who has a cold, and that includes staff and visitors. Our immune systems are so low when on chemo, none of us can take the risk of getting any viruses.Take good care of yourself, and I hope you are soon better and able to take your chemo.... hugs...Helen...
Blank
16702_tn?1234094245
Helmar is correct..Have been told the same...I caught a cold 10 days before getting chemo and when I went in for my chemo, the doctor checked my lungs, throat, temp...and then decided that it was ok to receive chemo as scheduled.  Guess dr can make that decision at that moment.  Caught another cold 1 week after receiving my last chemo and i took me almost 17 days to fully recover. Body was truly too weak to fight it...Called the Onc nurse cause was starting to get concerned over the length of recovery and was told to just drink lots of water and rest as long as I dd not have a fever or yellow phlem.  
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
Just called the office, I will have chemo on Monday as long as my counts are good. Here's hoping they are still up.  Thanks for your responses
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank