Ovarian Cancer Community
newly diagnosed cyst/ more questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

newly diagnosed cyst/ more questions

Thanks so much for all of the information. I have a couple more questions though. My uterus is larger than normal--any relation to the cyst? (A 3x4x3 semi-solid cyst forund during vaginal ultrasound) Will that play a part in whether or not surgery is needed? Also, my PMS symptoms have been horrible. Any connection? One more question--I recently had a cystoscopy for a problem with my kidney.  The Urologist could not see my ureter through an IV x-ray--could endometriosis have been blocking the ureter from sight?  My ureter was clear when the doctor went inside?  Again, thanks, you ladies really know what you are talking about. This is the first time I've felt understood about my questions and doubts. Thanks!!!!!
Re: seeing the ureter on the xray.  It is all matter of timeing when the tech's take the xrays.  It is possible to miss the contrast(dye) going done the ureter from the kidney.  In these cases the Radiologist' look at the kidney structure for any indication of ureter obstruction.  Kidney get a definite appearance if they are not draining properly.  
This is probably why they did not see the ureter on the xray.  Text books always have the perfect pictures but I know from practice that they do not look like that all the time.
The cyst,  unless it resolves on its own, should be removed.  So, surgery is likely a given for your situation.  The situation with the enlarged uterus might  play a part in the type of surgery that you have (laparoscopic removal of the cyst vs the grand hysterectomy!)

Cysts on the ovaries can wreak havoc on the hormonal production by the ovaries, so all manner of odd and unusual things can occur - worsened PMS, missed periods, heavier menstrual flow, lighter menstrual flow, cycles of widely varying lengths, and so on.  

I would not at all be surprised to learn that endometriosis could have affected the ability of the doctor to visualize the abdomen during a test.  Depending on the timing in the monthly cycle, the endometrial implants can be very swollen and thick; I know that endometrial tisse in the uterus can be seen in an ultrasound.
In my case, I was told every time I had an internal exam that my uterus was enlarged and hard...and that it was caused by a fibroid. Apparently even from the ultrasound I had a large fibroid.  The pathology reports from my recent ultrasound say... no fibroid..... and no adenomyosis (thickening). I think sometimes an enlarged uterus might just be normal for ... the person who has one, and may not be a cause for alarm. Just telling you what my experience was.
Hi, I just had to post (usually I just lurk) regarding the PMS symptoms.. I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin and everything drives me crazy. I hate feeling like this and am hoping that it will stop.  Just wanted to let you know your not alone... :)