no bowel movement after surgery
I had laparotomy on 10/4/05 to remove a 13cm cyst.  I have not had a bowel movement since the surgery.  I have been passing gas & my Dr. has put me back on a liquid only diet as well as a stool softner.  I feel fine (just hungry) but am worried that I am 10 days post op & no bowel movement.
I had a TAH/BSO on 9/22/05. I was having bowel movements because I was taking Milk of Magnesia after my surgery (as directed by my surgeon), but one weeek later, I started having a lot of abdominal pain and was not able to pass any gas or anything else. I started vomitting and waited 3 days before going to the ER (mistake on my part). In the end, I had a small bowel obstruction, and was in the hospital for a week on an NG Tube, so that the bowels could rest. I am not telling this to you to scare you, but rather to warn you that if you start vomitting and getting bad pains in your abdominal area, make sure you contact the doctor right away. Passing gas is a good sign, I was not able to, even though I had BMs due to the Milk of Magnesia. It is my understanding that sometimes it takes time for the bowels to "wake up" from the surgery and they usually correct themselves in a couple days. Hang in there and let me know how you make out.
You might need to get an enema(sp) Usually with a laparotomy they keep you in the hossy until you have a bowel movement. At least mine did. When my mom had a laparotomy, she didnt have a bowel for a week after she got home and had to have an enema, are you still in pain? let me know!
yall are starting to scare me. I am having a laparotomy-bso due to complex cyst containing solid and cystic components ,and i know that after all 4 surgers that i have had it has been hard for me to have bowel movements with out help..Is this something i should discuss with the doctor...
Don't get too nervous because of our experience. Everyone is different. My case was considered a very rare complication (my surgeon only sees this every 15 years or so). If you are concerned, mention this to your doctor. My Doctor had me taking Milk of Magnesia after surgery, and I had BMs almost every day. I even had diarrhea, but that was O.K. with me as long as I kept going. It is normal to have some bowel problems, but there are lots of remedies out there, so be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor before hand, so you have a plan of action in case you need it.
I spoke with my Doctor today.  She does not seem too concerned since I am passing gas regularly and feel just fine.  She advised me to try a suppository & that I can have 1 meal a day of soft foods.  I have been eating 1 piece of toast a day due to hunger - but I was advised to only eat soft foods - no more toast:(   I do not want to end up back in the hospital with an NG tube.  So, tomorrow I am off to the store for the suppository.