Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cancer in teenagers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cancer in teenagers

My 14 year old daughter recently had an ultrasound and they found a very large mass, about 8.5cm, that they said had "walls" in it that could indicate possible ovarian cancer. They said they just want to monitor it for the momnet but wouldn't it be wiser to remove it and have a biopsy done or something. Can anyone please shed some light on this
I am sorry you have to go threw this it is very stressfull to have this hanging over your head. Keep in mind most cysts are benign!!  Since her sonogram showed a complex cyst on her ovary warrants a very thourough work up to rule out any other potential issues. I am going thru this with my 19y/o now but they did not drop the possible cancer bomb on us, they are giving us the wait and see which does not sit well with me..
My wife was recently Dx with granulosa Cell cancer( GCT) Jan 2010 and I know what it feels like to not know what the next step is. Here is a quick overview.

Tests like sonograms, Cat scans and MRI's along with blood tests like CA125, Inhibin A&B, MIS and CEA are just used as a guides for the Dr's to help assist in making a diagnoses(Dx). A transvaginal ultrasound (TV) is the most valuable diagnostic study in the evaluation of an adnexal or pelvic mass/suspicious cysts.  Cysts, hemorrhagic cysts, endometriomas, and dermoids have a high predictive diagnosis via TV ultrasound.

An MRI is usually the next test that should be given as they are more precise when read by the right radiologist.
The blood test CA-125 is a test used by Dr's as a guide to determine if you have the most common form of ovarian cancer, approximately 80% of all ovarian cancers are epitheal ovarian cancer which is cancer of the cells on the surface of your ovary. Please keep in mind that CA-125 can be elevated if your menstruating and some other cuases of inflamation (inflammation)..
There are other types of ovarian cancer that are hormone driven and depending which form a person has there will be excess symptoms of that specific hormone. This is the type my wife was Dx with granulosa cell ca. These group type are called sex cord -stromal tumors. These type of tumors have specific markes that the Dr's use just like ca-125 to aide in their dx of epitheal ovarian ca. They are Inhibin A&B and MIS. Please keep in mind if and only if you have a dx of these form of tumors there is a missconception that these tumors are always benign, which is completely false> They are just slow growing tumors as opposed to epitheal.
Unfortunately with any type of suspected ovarian mass/tumor/ suspicious cyst(s) surgery will be the only way for the Dr's too make a definitive Dx. It is NOT recommended to biopsy any ovarian mass/tumor/suspicious cyst as it can rupture and seed the pelvis with cancer cells if that what it turns out to be.  Please make sure you have your blood drawn for the following blood tests,Inhibin A&B, CA125 and CEA so at the very least you have baseline blood work.
******************************************************************************************************
Since there is some suspicion based on your TV-sonogram I would immediately find a good GYN/Oncologist surgeon. I am not suggesting what you have is cancer but studies have shown that treatment of ovarian cancer by nongynecologic oncologists and by low volume surgeons is associated with suboptimal surgical management. I would reccomend going to a large tiertiary hopsital where they see large volumes of patients.  This is not to make you worry even more but to make sure that the Dr who treats you has vast experience with diagnosing and treating various types of GYN / Onc issues if that is what it turns out to be. If the Dr wants to remove the cyst/mass via laprascopic procedure PLEASE make sure they have much experience with removing these INTACT! All too often I read posts from patients who say their Dr thought it was a cyst and removed it haphazardly causing a rupture and seeding of the pelvis with cancer cells, only to be found on pathology post removal.
****************************************************************************************************
Next: From experience I would be asking for an MRI of the abdomen/pelvis ,MRI's are very precise when read by a Radiologist that specializes in GYN/ONC, My wife went to a radiology practice that does all types of MRI's and the Radiologist read her MRI as a fibroid. I then took her to Sloan Kettering in NYC to see a GYN/ONC surgeon Dr Carol Brown who had the MRI repeated by a GYN/ONC Radiologist who called her DX to the tee which was confirmed after surgery.
The best advice you see all over these posts is you have to be your own advocate, be aggresive (aggressive) and stay on top of your phycicians. Get copies of all your tests/results as you are entitled to them. Post with any other questions you have this site has some very knowledgeable people on it. I wish you all the best.
Kevin
I agree with all that was written above, especially getting a gyn/onc involved just in case and the fact that you have to be your own advocate.

Because her cyst/mass is so large my understanding is that any mass that is over 5 cm should be removed. The sheer size of it could cause the ovary to flip and cause torsion which would then become a medical emergency. I had a 10 cm cyst and my ovary removed but it turned out benign. So size alone is not a good indicator for malignancy. But a large cyst can still cause problems. Perhaps you could ask the doctor about this.