Ovarian Cancer Community
ovary not detected during fourth transvaginal ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am 49 and have not had a peroid for two years. I have had blood work and it says my hormones are normal. Over the past two yearsI had several ultrasounds and some cysts were detected. Because my mother had ovarian cancer I once agin was asked to have another ultrasound and the blood test the lady who performed the transvaginal ultrasound said she could not find my ovaries. Could  a big tumor be hiding my ovaries? Does my lack of a peroid wiith normal hormones mean anything?(My mother ovarian tumor was the size of a softball and was caught early.)
The fact that your ovaries were not detected doesn't mean you have cancer.  The tech isn't the final word on those scans......when will you see your doc again and get your results?  Also, you don't know what the results of your blood work is...just take a deep breath and let it out slowly....no need to panic yet.  You took the first step....the tests.....now you have to wait for the results.  At that point in time you will know what you need to do.  If surgery is in the cards it is imperative you have a gyn/oncologist for your surgeon.  That is the doc who specializes in this arena.....you don't get a second chance to get it right the first time, so don't take a chance.  Please do come back and let us know how things are going and what the doc says.
Peace.
dian
Thanks for your quick reply. You are right, I need to just take a deep breath...My mom is currently going through the chemo process and was very lucky to have found it so early , it was a stage 1 level 2. They found hers through a CT scan searching for another problem. Although my gyn recommended hysterectomy for my cysts and fibroids, , I am not into unneeded surgery so want to first have a clear diagnosis. The last time, 6 months ago, the ultrasound showed just a small increase in mass size but doc said that could be just the difference caused from differnt readings.
  I found this site while searching and am new to it today. Any other good sites? I  have been looking trying to find more about the CA125 test. Thanks.
Carolyn
Hi - While this website is the absolute best for support :)  the mayo clinic site is also helpful.  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  hugs xoxo