Ovarian Cancer Community
question about paternal vs. maternal family history

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question.....My Dad's mother(paternal grandmother) had breast cancer, and no woman from my mothers side has ever had any gyno type cancer....I have heard from different people and if i recall even a gyno that the genes for gyno cancers or maybe just breast cancer is mostly maternal....I am only 24 and just curious, I have had ovarian cysts that have resolved..but does my PATERNAL grandmohter having breast cancer put me and a higher risk for OVCA?
My OC came from my fathers side, my Dads mother had it, she died back in the Fifties.
The genetic standard is if you have a first degree relative with breast or ovaian cancer then your risk increases dramatically.  First degree means a mother or a sister.
Louana the midwife
Luanna

I am of applachian heritage.  Which means my family medical history is a disaster.  I can trace my family tree back to a 14 century Irish king, a revolutionary war hero and a native american, early 17 century cherokee princess, but I can't trace my family medical history past my father on my father's side and can only trace my mother's side through the memory of my 80+ Aunt.  However, I do know my 1st cousin, daughter of that same aunt has breast cancer and I have ovca.  Should I be tested for the brca1 or brca2 to see if I could be a genetic time bomb for my girls, only 21 & 19 now.  And how should I advise them?
Appalachian Heritage?? Have you read any of my posts over the last 2 months?? I'm in the Appalachians of Tennessee....Born and Raised!! I'm 26y.o. and like you, only know some health history...I know my mama's (mostly back and wrist and knee trouble), some of my biological father(pancreatic cancer now) and his dad(diabetes)-his mom don't go to doctors (she says), and some of my mama's mom(lung problems). And when it comes to roots....I don't know much more... As of now, I know that my great-grandfather was full-blooded Cherokee (Bowmans). And I think there is some Viking, and Iroquois and Chippewa some where .....So, I'm Heinz 57...but my hubby likes to say I'm Melungeon! LOL.....maybe so. It's hard not knowin', and I am not gonna' put my kids in the same situation (dysfunctional families, whatever.), so that they will know where to look when they need somethin'. Anyway, I tend to get excited over things and ramble on and on.....But I noticed your heritage thing and thought I'd make a connection!
Take care,
(((Raynbow
Genetics is but a small part of disease.  A lot is environmental, and general randomness.  The problems with trying to predict are 1.  The tests aren't definitive, especially for young women, 2. Even if the tests come up positive it isn't clear that the disease will express itself and 3. The psychology of knowing a test is positive and living your life waiting for the desease to express itself (which it may never do) is a pretty hard way to live a life.
I'm not sure your situation warrants testing due to the distance of your relatives who have CA to your daughters.
2 cents.
Louana