Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Ovarian Tumor at 20?!

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Tumor at 20?!

I was in the emergency room on 5/17 with extreme pain on my right side. With an elevate white blood cell count they gave me a ct scan which showed normal looking appendix but a mass on my ovary. After 5 days in the hospital they removed my appendix and said I had a hemorrhagic cyst that would go away on its own. A month later the pain in my abdomen was still there and was brought in for an ultrasound which showed my ovary was enlarged measuring at 4cm. And my doctor said she wanted an MRI because the ultrasound was inconclusive but she wanted to rule out a dermoid cyst. I had the MRI and got my results yesterday and she said they don't know what type of tumor but she thinks I have a tumor. Which is now measuring 5cm. She also mentioned it was shaped strangely and she sent me for a ca-125 test and will be removing the mass next week. Should I worry about ovarian cancer?
Don't worry, everything will turn out alright! About a month ago I went to the first gynecologist because of pain and she said I had 3 cysts on my left ovary which measured up to 10 cm and she was going to remove the ovary through da vinci robotic surgery. I am also 20 and I wanted a second opinion about removing the entire ovary so I went to a great gynecologist pelvis surgeon who ran many tests and found that it had grown 14 cm and it was a single complex cyst and wanted to remove it asap. I was terrified because he was going to perform the surgery with an oncologist because of the it growing so fast but anyways after emergency admittance and ovarian torsion he was still able to save the ovary!! The chances that we, at 20, would get cancer are so so minimal that you don't need to fill your head with worry. Also, the tumor is very small so it is great that they are taking it out so fast, it doesn't even have time to damage any organs. Mine killed half the ovary because I have high pain tolerance and waited going to get it checked. I spent 3 nights in the hospital after the laparotomy and it was painful only the first day  but after walking and resting every day you feel 100% percent better every day. I wish you all the best of luck and keep me updated on how you're doing!!
That makes me feel better! I just can't believe that after 3 ultrasounds, a ct scan, and an MRI that they still don't know exactly what it is. It's just unsettling. I just want answers!
Sometimes its best they just remove the mass through surgery because only then they will be able to obtain all of their answers. I know it's hard to wait and see as to what will happen but the odds are in your favor! I hope all is going well! Did they perform the MRI with contrast? The gadolinium in the mri was the key factor of finding what my mass was. Feel better!
My MRI was with and without contrast. But my doctor said even with the contrast that they aren't sure what it is. But I'll find out in 2 more days, trying to stay occupied! I know cancerous rumors grow quickly and mine has grown 3cm in 1 1/2 months. Makes me nervous
Hello girls! I just wanted to share my experience. When I was 20 years old I was rushed to the ER because I was experiencing severe and excruciating pain to the point that my mouth and fingers started to twist due to the pain. Anyways, one in the ER an ultrasound was performed and they realized I had a big cyst that made my ovary twist. The cyst was removed and the doc was able to save my ovary. I was in pain for like 1 or 2 days after the surgery of course under meds which helped tremendously. My advice is to ask lots of questions and most important what can be done so the ovary is not removed. Now I am 28 years old and I haven't had any ovarian cysts but I do have annual ultrasounds just to be on the safe side! Good luck and don't panic everything will be just fine!