Pancreatic Cancer Community
pancreatic cancer

This community is a place to find others who share your interest in pancreatic cancer. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with pancreatic cancer patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, chemotherapy, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with pancreatic cancer, prognosis, radiation therapy, research, surgery, treatments

pancreatic cancer

My father who is 68, has had chills, headaches, weight loss, fatigue and fever every afternoon and again at midnight with one added symptom of night sweats. He has been on a anti-inflammatory for 9 years and besides aspirin that is the only medication taken. He has never even held a cigarette and maybe has had 20 drinks his whole life. He has lost 18 lbs and has been tested for mono, had a hi-pa or he-pa(cat scan), met with the cancer doctor and last Friday a liver biopsy. He has been giving blood everyday now at 2:00 for 5 weeks and his gall bladder is in perfect condition. He does have lungs equivalent to someone who has smoked for years which we are dumb founded. We have seen five doctors and the last one said, "I am punting-I have know idea what is wrong with you". He has also been tested for malaria. He met with the a cancer doctor on Thursday and he said he does not think he has it. He has a appt. with the infectious disease doctor tomorrow. Four years ago he won and still holds the record in his age bracket for powerlifting. He has worked out 4 times a week since he was 16 years old. It is his life. There is no history of cancer in his family, his father passed away from a heart problem, but was born with a defected heart and his mom lived until 98. We are grasping for awnsers anywhere we can. We did receive a phone call from a friend that suggested pancreatic cancer. Please, if you have any suggestions in what sort of direction to go in I would appreciate it.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  The chills, headaches, afternoon fever and weight loss are too non-specific to point to any particular disease condition, and does not automatically suggest a diagnosis of cancer.  Why did your father have a liver biopsy? Was anything found on the CAT scan of his liver?  What made your friend suggest a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer? Was a mass found in that area?  It might be a good idea to stick to one good doctor (preferably an Internal Medicine specialist), instead of switching doctors often, so that a more coherent picture of your father's condition may be arrived at.  It might also be helpful to have your own compilation of  all his laboratory results and other clinical data, so that if you ever decide to see a new doctor, he would have a more complete set of information to work with.
Thanks for responding, but the reason why he has seen so many doctors is because once he had completed all of the exams/tests that particular doctor had ordered they were still unable to diagnose the symptoms so he would be referred once again, to someone else.  He did receive the results back from the liver biopsy-negative, gallbladder-negative, cat scan-negative, heart-he has the heart of a 35 year old man as the the doctor stated.
The next exam scheduled is a bone marrow biopsy which will be on Wed.
I personally think he may have cancer. Leukemia or lymphatic. everyone of the symptoms fit him to a "t".   We are happy to hear all of the negative results, but it is really bitter sweet because that just puts us closer the the big "c". There is just no way this is just a small infection that could just disappear overnight; major night-sweats(rings out his shirt twice a night), chills, fever, 23lbs weight loss and major fatigue-all within 3 months.
I guess I really don't have any other questions for you other than any suggestions, maybe you know something that all the others may have missed.
thanks again for responding. I really appreciate it.