Parent IEP/Special Education Community User Group
I am so scared that I am going to mess this all up...
About This Group:

A community for parents to ask questions regarding their child's IEP program and discuss options with other parents on how to get through the process. We are also all here to support each other when we all go through the challenges and miscommunications that can definitely occur when going through the IEP/Special Education process. Our children are a gift and should be treated that way.

Founded by Melissa0116 on October 15, 2009
30 members

Background: C is 9. He was dx with moderate to severe ADHD at 4 by a Psychiatrist. He has been on every ADHD med out there. All seem to work for  short time--and then fail. Stims make him VERY aggressive. In school he is easily angered and lashes out (kicking, biting, putting his hands around a childs neck...throwing pencils, slamming books). He shows anxiety. He can't finish work. Hides under his desk, chews on his shirts. He is loud, distracting, talks out of turn. Sometimes he is "touchy feely" with other kids (hugging, getting in their personal spaces). In September he was dx as having GAD (Generalized anxiety disorder). He takes an anti depressant, ADHD medication (intuniv) and a mood medication. There is no huge immprovment on these meds. He still refuses to write, or finish most work. Still socoally inept, still talks out loud, cant sit still, still quick to anger, zero impulse control.

I asked for an IEP on Sep 11th. They just finished his evals (although I have no idea what they really did). Today I picked up a OHI form they (our counties Special Education SSA)  wanted Cs doctor to fill out. I really don't have a good feeling about him getting the IEP. Last week I made an appt for him to be independantly evaluated by a Psychologist on Nov 29th. And if he DOES get the IEP? I really have no idea what to even ask for.

As much as I've been trying to educate myself on IEPs? I feel so clueless. I don't really know what to expect. What to ask for. What to do next... Sigh. This is all so hard.
And now I see this forum is barely used--if at all. Darn. Really was looking for advice.
     Didn't get the notice about a post like I normally do.
My first thought is to check out Sensory Integration Disorder.  It look a lot like ADHD, but the typical meds only make it worse.  He certainly has many of the symptoms of SIDs, and it is new enough that it is not always recognized.  A few links explaining it are here:
      http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html   and here - check the last post -
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Child-Behavior/could-there-be-a-BIGGER-problem/show/1590406#post_7226976

The school will pretty much set up the IEP goals.  What you want to do is to make sure they sound logical and help him.  One book I recommend a lot is, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.  She has a section in the back of the book on 504 goals - all of which would apply.  You can order the book through Amazon and might get it in time.
    If you have any other questions, I do monitor the ADHD section here pretty closely.  Sorry, I didn't catch this post sooner.  Happy Thanksgiving!
   Oh, and do make sure you check out Sensory Integration (or Processing) Disorder.  It would explain a lot.  Also check out the post by AHP84 - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Child-Behavior/Kindergarten-behavior/show/1616934#post_7352944              ; for more info.
treksurfer joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 28
Sandman2 uploaded new photos
Sep 27
MissMaeMoe joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 05