Parenting Children (6-12) Community
My 6 year old is having hard time following directions at school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My 6 year old son is in Kindergarten, as per his teacher he is having very hard time following one step two step directions in the class.She also mentioned about his self help skills and doesn't complete is tasks in time, he always need constant help/guide to complete simple tasks in the class.As per teacher he is fantastic in all academic this like letters/numbers/reading writing skills, but the major concern is following directions and self help skills.As per his teacher, he his his very hard working and ready to do everything also very positive.We also observed this behavior in our home and trying hard at home.

Also we observed he doesn't talk much and having very hard time to mix with the peoples around him(like parks/play ground/neighbors...etc)

Need some help please...
I'd start by checking your pantry and refrigerator.  What types of foods does your child eat?  I had the exact experience with my 6 1/2 yr old (1st grade) and the change has been amazing.  I got some tips from Additude (?) Magazine online.  Basically, lower the sugar and increase the protein - brain food, it works!  Their blogs/articles are very imformative.  While my son has not been diagnosed with ADHD/ADD, he's always been very active, unable to focus well, we still have to keep him on a pretty tight schedule, organization wise.  I have two younger children - 5yr old boy and 2yr old girl.
I'm wondering about sensory issues and specifically auditory issues.  This can play a role in the things you mention.  The sensory system is the brains way of sending/receiving input and processing it.  If there is a break down in any way, the messages get jumbled.  My son has sensory integration disorder which involves many things and auditory processing problems is just one component.  It can be the only thing affected------  but still cause issues.  Basically this means that your son is would be having trouble processing the directions.  If his fine motor skills are slightly off as well (buttoning, zipping, scissors, etc.)------  that would also be sensory related in the area of motor planning.  You could google auditory processing within sensory integration disorder and see what you think.  We do many things for my son's nervous system and he functions almost perfectly at school.  No issues whatsoever.  I'd be happy to share more information if you think it fits at all.  goodluck
hello....I read your comments and was wondering how your son is doing and what you did for him. I am having the same problem with my son....thanks