selfish 6-year-old
We have a 6-year-old daughter and 2 1/2 year old twins. When our twins were much younger, we made sure they never went into our older daughter's bedroom. It was off limits because we considered it her sanctuary and a place where our twins could get hurt (lots of small toys).
  Now that the twins are older, we feel it would be appropriate for them to play in her room. But my older daughter will have none of it. She, under NO circumstances, will allow the little kids in her room. She actually gets panicky if they near her closed door and has a screaming fit if they accidentally venture into her room.
  Our house is pretty small, especially for three children (our twins share a bedroom), and my older daughter's room is the ONLY room in the house that's off limits to the little kids.
   At this point, I'm just aggrevated with my older daughter. But I'm really torn too. My husband and I started this behavior by making the room off limits to the little kids and feel like our older daughter deserves a place of her own. But, on the other hand, we don't think it's fair that she can play in the twins' room but they can't play in hers.
  We have, by the way, told her she's not allowed to play in their room until they can play in hers. It doesn't seem to make a difference to her. She just plays in other parts of the house.