Borderline between abusive and meticulous mother-care.
Every mother has indisputable reason to be concerned about how her teen age child of either gender is developing. In most societies and in the nature the mother is responsible for the mental and physical development of her offspring (motherhood) and ought to have knowledge of child’s hygiene, health and stage of physical development on first hand. But with the growing up and reach puberty the opportunity of mother to update her impression about that so delicate matter fall out quite rare, especially after stop bath him at certain age. As a single mother I raise my son alone and often take the opportunity, give me the medical office policy to attend as parent his physical exams and to witness the examination. At 11 ½ my son isn`t to old yet and don`t set his face against but difficulties are liable to occur in the near future. Parents are the best people to monitor their child’s growth and development and I have the intention to have him under my care for his health, hygiene and development till an age  at least 14 – 15 yo when he `ll be able to take the helm.
I'm not too sure what your asking/meaning but yes you do have a right to track the physical/mental/social development of your child, especially if they are reaching the stages of puberty as your son is just about to reach (or may already have reached). Additionally you do, as you say, have the right to be there during the exam. The only thing i'd say is, make you understand his need for privacy also. If he has reached the beginning stages of puberty, perhaps he might not be so happy for you to be there during the exam. It is obviously an uncomfortable stage for children. Just ensure that you do have open lines of communication with him about the stage he's at and maybe give him abit of space. :)