Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
Forced to be with dad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

Forced to be with dad

My daughter is 14 yo. I filed for divorce last Febuary . My soon to be ex is a narcist who belittled me and controlled me for 20+ years. His second victim was my daughter, always saying she was spoiled or on the computer all the time, or complaining her room was not clean etc...(She is a sweet child that has straight A's is helpful with her younger brothers and wears hand me downs.) In July the parenting time coordinator ruled, after she called the police on dad for  locking her in the house with no phones, computers or tvs. while he took her brothers out for some fun, that she does not have to be with him. Now they are forcing her to be in therapy and spend time with him. She says she hates him and the therapist who has threatened her. I was wondering if there were any adults who have been in this situation as a teenager and feel it was benificial or if it had lasting negative effects
I haven't been thru it so I can't help with advice in that dept.

Most States allow children 13 + to say which parent they want to be with.

Will the boys back up the story that she was locked in the house?  Will the police?  Get the report and go back to Court.

Ask the court for a new case worker or therapist? a second opinion, new set of eyes so to speak?  Worth a try.

Don't know if it would help to go to a psych just to an eval to get an opinion about neg. effects.  The psych finding should hold above the therapist's.
request a change of therapists
Ask the judge to order that clinical assessments be done on each parent to help flesh out the details about their father's emotional problems. Also, consider trying to get a law guardian who look out for the children's best interests to be involved with the case.
Thank you.
I will find out tomorrow in court what is going to happen. I'll keep you posted.
My daughter told the therapist that her dad was not paying child support. So now I am the bad guy and if she knows anything else I will lose all 3 of my children. I had to pay $700 of his attn fees and $250 every time she does not go with him.
Remember, he will never walk through the door of my home and make me uncomfortable. It's my home.
Thanks everyone! God bless you all. May your children be safe. Chloe, I need your friends email. help j