Masterbating
My girl is 13. I have recently found out that she has been masterbating for a year now when she is in her room. thank god she doesn't do it on public. She talked To me saying that it made her tickle and feel pleasurable. She also told me that she uses a brush to do it. That she keeps her underwear on and just rubs the brush back and forth on the private part until she can't do it anymore. She also uses other things. She has never been sexually abused though and knows about sex and how to be cautious. Should I be worried? Please help.
Hi Elizabeth,
It is very normal for tweens this age to masturbate as they make the transition from child to teenager. Her emotions and hormones will begin to develop and so will her sexuality. It is great that your daughter is open with you about what some would see as embarassing, honest communication between a mother & daughter means you have a positive and trusting relationship . Masturbating in MOST cases has nothing to do with being sexually assaulted or abused, it is usually exploration of the body and understanding what makes one feel good. As it pleasurable for her she may well be masturbating on a regular basis, which you should not worry about, she may grow out of it in a short time or it could continue well into adulthood. Please do not be alarmed at what she is doing, just make sure that she understands about infections especially from the use of objects. Its would be a good idea to also (if you have not already) to talk to your daughter about safe sex, including oral sex as many diseases can be transmitted this way. I know as a mother it is the last thing I would like to think about my beloved daughter doing, but the reality is in this day and age more and more tweens are becoming sexual active with multiple partners. It is far better to educate and prevent, than it is to cure.