Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
my 12 year old daughter has mood swings
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my 12 year old daughter has mood swings

my 12 year old daughter sometimes acts like a baby,she has terrible mood swings especially at night and they can come out of the blue,she can make really angry grunting noises in her room because she is so angry.Ocassionally she throws herself on the floor and preends to hurt herself to get attention.My daughter is very loved and we show her plenty of attention,she has started being rude to my mum lately and i feel i am failing as a parent.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I believe this may have nothing to do with her seeking attention or your ability as a parent.  Is there any history of mental health issues on either side of the family?  Is there any history of personality disorders or mood disorders?  Whatever - I think your daughter needs to see a medical doctor - to rule out both physical illness and mental illness before you even consider parenting or hormonal or "other" issues.  All the best ....
Blank
jdtm is right-have her evaluated by a doctor.  She is also at that age where her hormones are coming in to play, so that may also be a factor.  Either way, it has no bearing on your ability to parent.  She's going through a difficult time right now not being able to get a handle on her mood.  I'm sure she doesn't like feeling this way.  Make sure you take care of yourself and get support, too.  Parenting a teen is not easy.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Parenting Teens (12-17) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...