Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
19 months old not talking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

19 months old not talking

Hi every one...

I'm a first time mother of 19 months old. Ours is a nuclear family. Hubby leaves for office n comes very late at night. I'm a staying at home mom. Most of the time I stay at home. My son loves to play games in iPad. He opens you tube go to history n select what ever he wants. Watch TV n demand what he need by pressing my hand or giving remote to my hand. But he never try to talk. Some times he says few wors liki mamma...cow...dada...etc. but when I try to talk to him he hesitates to focus n reaches for his fav. Toys or computer. I allow him to watch cartoon network or iPad only on meal time. It's makes me easy to feed him. Except this talking issue he is a active learner n plays very well with other kids. Iam scared to allow him to play with other kids coz they key hurt him or he may fell down. Previously he fell down twise and had a bruise on his head. so I restricted his play time with other kids. I know it's not good for him but I am scared to see him injuired.

Tags: family
I know it's sad to see your kids get hurt. And makes you mad to see kids hurt him, but one day, he will be a little bigger and hurting kids too! lol.  I think you should cut out alot of ipad time. You literally have to teach your kids to talk. Get a good learning book and teach him everything in it. Or if you want him to just use the ipad, have him play on abcmouse.com. He should be saying more words than that, but they don't usually talk real good until after their 2nd birthday. But you had to teach him to crawl, teach him to walk and now it's time to teach him to talk. Goodluck :)
Hi breee08,

Nice to see ur reply. Yes!!! you r right. I need to cut down iPad n TV time. I tried a lot but he don't eat any thing with out them. Now a days he started demanding his fav channels. If I power off the tv he simply open the draw n grab the iPad or  walks down to other room n try to turn on the computer.  I am worried abt his eyes too. If you have any suggestion on how to feed him with out gadgets. Plz share.

Thanks for ur suggestion.I always download kids learning games n he loves kidstv.com rhymes a lot.
My daughter didn't start talking till he was two and a half. Have you had his ears checked. Each child is different good luck my dear
Thanks for ur comment Popowife.. I have checked his ears too. and he is pretty good at finding his fav doll by its sound. Recently i asked his pediatrician and he is saying that kids get that bloom when we allow them to play with other kids. When he goes to play school  he will learn to talk automatically like that....
Kousiki,  he needs to be our in the world,  not in your home all day long isolated.

Every single day,  he needs to get out and see adults and children talking and interacting,  and learn the world.  Nearly every day he needs to have the chance to interact with children he has met before.  

By the age of 4,  a person learns the majority of what they will learn in their lifetime.  Sounds that a child hasn't heard and used by the age of 4 are unlikely to be picked up later.

My son is 4 1/2 now. He literally didn't talk at all until after he was 2. We rnded up getting him into speach therapy to help him start. He never even said.Mommy and it broke my heart. He's the only child (until January) The Speech Therapist came to our house every week and just played with him and he loved it. She worked for ghe state and was free for us. It took about a year of therapy but it was so worth it. Alot of boys especially who are only children and don't get to interact with other kids who are late speakers. It's just how boys are. We also helped him by signing him up for a prpgramm that churches around here have called Parents Morning Out. It's basically supervised play for children 1 to 3 a couple times a day whileMom and Da get to spend some time doing big people things. It was wonderful for him. He's doing preschool there now. I wouldn't worry too much. Just because he didn't talk until he was 2 didn't mean he was stupid it just meant he needed a kick start. Now he loves dinosaurs and he can pronounce crazy dinosaur names. He talks all the time. I would talk to his pediatrician. That's how I got a hold of the Speech Therapist. Good Luck!