Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4-yr-old describing auditory hallucination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 4-yr-old daughter just described what I would consider an auditory hallucination.  She told me that she could not go to sleep because of the "noises."  She then explained that she hears a "mean and scary" voice saying "Come to me" and "Come inside."  She also reported some word/phrase that was non-sensical to me.  She called this a dream, but had not yet been asleep when this occurred.  She also stated that she hears this "everywhere"- at school and all relatives homes when she is awake.  She was not crying or overly upset when she relayed this to me, just matter-of-fact, but it was obviously frightening to her.  I asked her to show me where the noises came from in her room, and she pointed to the window.  She made me close her bedroom door so that she couldn't hear them.  I am extremely disturbed by this and am hoping to find some answers and advice on what to do next.  Although this is the first report of this from her, she claims that it has been happening for a while.  She has also been having some separation anxiety-type issues when I take her to preschool in the mornings, but is reportedly fine after I leave.  
I'm sorry to read about your daughter.  That sounds scary.  Is she still hearing them?  Did you take her to the doctor?
Please take her to a doctor who may refer her to a child psychologist - it may be nothing but being a mother I'm sure you want to get to the bottom of it and if it's something that needs attention you'll be happy for being proactive here...why have your child go thru anymore anxiety than need be...good luck and God Bless.