Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4year-old bulimic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4year-old bulimic?

Is it possible for a 4yo to be bulimic?

I know a child who barely eats anything (only mac&cheese, raisins, yogurt) and makes a big gagging ordeal if she is asked to take a nibble of anything foreign - a hamburger, hotdog, other ordinary kids' foods (must be repeatedly asked, coached, cheered on).  Her parents only make the foods they know she will eat so they don't have to fight her over it. That is problem #1.

Problem #2 is that nearly 50% of her nights, she will go to bed and within 1-2hrs of having fallen asleep, she will vomit the entire contents of her stomach, still in recognizable form!  She has been fed early and allowed to remain upright (doing puzzles, watching a movie in the living room) anything that will allow more time for digestion.

She has been diagnosed with enlarged adenoids (adenoids) and is scheduled for surgery to remove, because she does snore and is developing sleep apnea, but could this also be the cause for the vomiting?  I hope so as I am worried that she may also be vomiting as an unhealthy source of attention (her parents divorced this year).  Thanks.

there are many, many other reasons for vomiting- behavioral and physical- and it sounds as if it is undigested food- the doctor isn't working on a diagnosis for this also?
That is my biggest concern- her comfort....

My parents only made the foods I liked to eat and I was healthy in my young years. As long as her blood tests are normal, she should be fine physically

I bet she is miserable- poor thing.... I only know mine was not behavioral- once I saw a doctor write in my chart that I had anorexia, and it upset me that I was so underweight- I was sick every night too and hated it. But when I asked him about the diagnosis he explained anorexia 'nervosa' is a diagnosis that is given to someone that "wills and desires weight loss" Anorexia just meant underweight....

I had reflux, hiatal hernia for over 7 years and I vomited nightly- they repaired it easily but I was in my 40's
When you say the child is repeatedly cheered on and encouraged to eat and coached, it sounds to me like over reaction on the Parents part, they are unwittingly possibly,  the cause of some pressure she is feeling, it would make her sick, they should back off. Put her food in front of her, whatever it is and walk away its her food and she needs to be left in peace to eat ,':They only make foods they know she will eat so they know there wont be a fight over it,'....all sounds like they are more anxious than she is, tell them to back off and it will correct itself.