Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4yr old sick - can he sleep too long?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

4yr old sick - can he sleep too long?

My for year old has been running a slight fever since yesterday about 100.6. We gave him some tylenol cold last night. he went to bed at 8:30pm last night and it is 10:22am now. Can he sleep too long? Should I wake him up? Yesterday he said his head was hurting him and that his head was saying that he was still sleepy. Nor was he able to do really anything that day. Simple thinking proccesses were too much? When should he see the Dr? After how many days?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
340493_tn?1197708436
I would take him to the doc and make sure the tylenol is a children's med. too. I do know that cold medicine can make you drowsey and sleep hard and feel dull minded (don't know how else to describe it LOL)  Check with a doc and also make sure he's not allergic to the tylonol and make sure it's a kid's medicine and not adult which is definately too strong for him.
Blank
If the slight fever is still presisting then he probably has an infection somewhere.  So yes I would get him to a doctor - most of the time when children run fevers it's because their body is fighting off infection not just a cold.

I would say normal that he's sleeping that long when sick.  I know when I'm sick I can't get enough sleep.  If it's been more than 48 hours of this with no signs of improvement get him in to see the doc and maybe there is a simple answer ie infection.

And yes make sure the tylenol cold is for children if it's not that will definately make him totally drowsey and "drugged up" because they aren't meant to take adult medicine and make sure the dosage you are giving is correct.  Some children are just more sensitive to certain medicines as well.  A trip to the doctor for peace of mind is probably in order.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...