Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4yr old with severe cough & 101 fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4yr old with severe cough & 101 fever

What should i do? She has had a severe cough & runny nose for 2days now and now she has a fever of 101. I dont want to take her to the hospital if theyre not gonna do anything. Ive already given her cold medicine
I would assume that the hospital ER would help reduce your daughter's fever which is pretty high as well as get to the root of the fever.  Why do you feel that the hospital won't do anything?
Actually, the pediatrician told me not to try to bring down a fever unless it was coming up to 104.  Fevers are designed by the body to cook out the virus or bacteria by making the body just a little too hot to support the intruder, but not hot enough to harm the host.  

How severe of a cough is a severe cough?  Like, whooping cough?  croup?  brochitis?  And what color is the snot?  I think you can actually get online and find medical sites that have tapes of whooping cough and croup, and there is something about the color of the snot that is indicative of a secondary infection versus another color just means plain old cold.  If you are pretty convinced it is just a plain old cold and another day or two will make it better, you might just try Vick's Vap-o-Rub and a humidifier in your daughter's room.
Thank you ladies. Yeah i got her some childs mussinex(spellcheck) and vicks babyrub:) she is allbetter now. I took her to the e.r and they did nothing said to keep her hydrated and give her cough meds & tylenol,