Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Bathroom issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Bathroom issues

My son is three years old he was using the potty for about 8 months for just peeing.  When he had to poop he would run outside and go.  We ended up moving in town and tried to explain to him that he couldnt do that any more.  So for about a month he was using the toliet then just started pooping on the floor where ever he wants now he is peeing on the floor and pooping and i dont know what to do?  I have tried everything nothing is working.
Have you tried a sticker chart for when he pees and poops.  Smaller stickers when he pees and larger one when he poops.  How about pieces of his favourite treat.  say 1 smartie for peeing and 2 for pooping.  If he poops on the floor use timeouts and he is not allowed to continue playing with that particular toy (gone for the rest of the day).  He should be helping you clean up the mess or at least getting the paper towel for you.  Be consistent.  Be firm with him and let him know that it isn't okay to go to the washroom on the floor.  He is a big boy now and big boys use the potty to pee and poop.  Does he like reading? Perhaps an additional book at bedtime could be a reward.  If he poops on the toilet everyday then at the end of the week you go swimming or take him to the dollar store to pick something out.  If he doesn't then he doesn't get the treat.  I am just throwing things out there.  Hope any of this helps.  Good luck!
My son is 3, the whole sticker thing doesn't even phase him.  He has always pooped in the potty since he was 2, but he would pee anywhere.  I would find wet spots everywhere, and the carpet in this house was brand new when we moved in. I eventually decided that I would have to bully him into it, sounds mean but I caught him peeing on the floor in his room and put soap in his mouth, I told him that everytime he went to the bathroom any where but the toilet that he would get soap in his mouth.  Never again did he pee on the floor, furniture or into random containers. Everytime he used the toilet there after I praised him, telling him awesome job and high fiving him.