Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Broken Sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Broken Sleep

Hi, I have a daughter that has just turned one and ever since she was five months old she has not slept through the night. She wakes up between two to five times a night. I have tried several things and she still doesnt sleep through. If any one has any advice it would be great to get some feed back. Cheers.
sorry to say this, but my child is just over 2 and still doesn't sleep through the night. she's in a toddler bed, so at first she kept getting up and coming into our room. i put up a gate at her door and she just yells for me. she doesn't cry, so just yells. then she'll drop her monkey and at that point, there's no chance she'll go down on her own. i wish i had some answers, but i'm in the same boat as you!
The first thing to figure out is why she is waking up. Hunger, thirst, overtired, habit, ect...

If you ask a doctor what sleeping through the night means, it is usually 6 hours at a time, not 8, 10, 12 ect...At 1 year old, she may be used to waking up to eat in the middle of the night, which is something you need to break by teaching her other ways to soothe herself back to sleep.

What things have you tried to do to get her to sleep? One choice is to let her cry it out, but that depends on your belief as a parent. You could let her cry for 5 minutes then go into the room, but do NOT pick her up or get her out of bed. Talk to her and soothe her, then leave. If she continues to cry, wait another 5 minutes, 10 minute, ect...

If you don't want her to cry it out, then you could go in right away, but still don't get her up. Sit next to her until she falls asleep. Each night, move slightly further away from her until you are out of the room.

Either choice, it's going to take a few nights to a few weeks to get her to sleep.
Did you nurse your daughter?  My dr said to have my husband go in and get my son back to sleep when he'd wake up -that if I went in he'd want to nurse and if my husband went in the baby would not expect milk.  My dr asked if there was a way we could move our bed further from the door so we wouldn't hear him crying in the middle of the night, that after 6 mos of age there is no 'nutritional reason' for the child to wake over night.  After a few nights of my husband going in and not getting the baby out of the crib but lying him down and rubbing his back - our son did just fine.  good luck.
When my oldest son was 5 months old, I noticed that he was waking in the middle of the night for a feeding - but just wasn't "into it": he'd nurse for a few minutes then fall asleep.  I had read that there was no "nutritional reason" for an otherwise healthy, thriving baby to be getting up in the middle of the night for a snack, so I figured this was a habit.  We let him cry it out, and by the end of that week, he was sleeping through the night.  

I now have a 6 week old son who, according to the definition of sleeping through the night that Victoria01 mentioned, is already doing so fairly consistently.  I just pray it continues and that he'll be easy enough to wean off middle of the night nibbles, because letting him cry it out will be much more difficult with another child in the house!