Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Help potty training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Help potty training

Potty training

by LJR28, 4 minutes
I am nannying a 2 yr 10m old and his parents are not happy his ready to potty train!! I have said to try him they did start him in pants on their holiday 3 weeks ago- he had a wet accident in a restraunt and one on the beach with there friends and they have up as he Wasnt getting it (pure laziness) so they got back and I started 7:30 in pants and potty near by he said potty Dangerous I finally got him on it after 2 accidents and was proud of myself by end of week he was going potty n asking to go n not doing anything n enjoyed all the attention- he would tell me when he was wet ect! By Friday he some 2 wees on potty n one pooh accident!

His parents have spoilt him and he has run of house but none they don't want him
On carpet with pants on as its a new house n carpet to keep a child in a few rooms is hard and to explain he can't go in his playroom upstairs as he has pants on!! It's hard n not fair!!! When they come home the attitude is "how many accidents today" not postive

Weekend mum as dad had him they said it was not a successful weekend with potty training and he doesn't like potty and they used pull ups when they went out.

Monday morning was back to square one!! I have tried everything I mean everything.

Stickers
Praise
Bribing him
Toys
Playing on potty
Stories
Treats
Picking his own pants and stickers on potty
Tried toilet I mean everything!!

And no wees on potty this week and he laughs or screams when he has an accident today I have finally come to breaking point!!! I don't no what to do with put parents help its hard!! I leave work at 7:30pm I can't go home u till I've put him
In a nappy n he stays up till about 9 with mum n dad n I start again at 7:30 with pants on as soon as his awake!!

Struggling I have headache and I'm bored of sitting on bathroom floor!

Inless parents help I feel like I'm
Gunna get no where.

What do I do anything else I can try!?
From what I can understand, you are trying to potty train the child and the parents are not interested in him potty training yet?  

If a parent doesn't want a kid to potty train (especially at only 2 years 10 months), I wouldn't break my back to try to potty train him.  A) the parents are the employer and you are the employee and B) he genuinely might not be ready.  Boys, especially, train late, and if he's the first child, even later.
They want him potty trained but don't wanna put time in with him!!! They want me to do it over Easter before his back to pre-school next week!!! Had some success yesterday with no pants in n he took himself but his with his parents for 2 days now :(
His done so well this week & is potty trained.. Had no accidents ;) his just suddenly got it... Once starting with potty training never give in it look back :D
Good to hear he is doing well.  However, I wouldn't be too worried about it.  That is young to train...my 3 and 3 month old is still working on it, and he is a normal, bright, healthy child.  Not a big issue. It will all work out in time.
I just helped my niece potty train this helped me a lot ;

When to begin Potty Training
--------------------------------------------------------------
Do not begin training until your child shows signs that he is ready. Every child is different. Most are ready for training between two and two and a half years old (some as young as 18 months or as old as three years). Start at a time when you can spend a lot of time together — when your child is eager to please you and there are no major distractions or traumatic events in his life (new sibling, divorce, moving, new caretaker, etc.) Never pressure or punish your child for unsuccessful attempts at using the potty. Most of all, be patient! Your child will learn to use the potty when your child is ready. (And not before.)
15 signs of toilet training readiness
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your child is ready to learn potty skills when he or she:
-Has bowel movements at about the same time every day
     -Can stay dry for a few hours or wakes up dry from sleep
     -Knows that he or she has to go to the bathroom
     -Understands the association between dry pants and using the potty
     -Can pull his or her pants up and down
     -Lets you know when he or she has soiled his or her diaper (likes to stay dry)
     -Can follow simple directions like, "Lets go to the potty"
     -Understands potty terms (wet, dry, pee, poop, dirty and potty)
     -Can tell you he or she has to go to the bathroom
   -Imitates other family members
     -Shows interest and asks questions while watching you
     -Wants to do things "by myself"
     -Enjoys washing his or her hands (like to be clean)
     -Gets upset if his or her belongings are not in their proper place
     -Wants to please you!
Getting ready
----------------------------
Start by reading potty-training books to your child (15 months and up). Once your child is ready for toilet training, you can go to the store and purchase training pants and a potty chair. Bring your child with you to maximize the excitement about the whole process. When buying training pants, if you are choosing cotton, let your child pick out his/her favorite ones (Toy Story 3, Cinderella, etc.) Disposable training pants are a great bet for cleanup and being on-the-go. If you buy cotton, buy more than one three pack. You will go through these quickly, and you want to have plenty in the diaper bag and dresser.
When purchasing a potty chair, make sure you purchase a sturdy one. You want your child to feel secure enough to try it. Your child's feet need to be on the floor (this will eliminate his or her fear of falling in).
You may also want to buy an extra one for outside or to keep in the car. (It's better to go to your car and use your clean potty than go to a public restroom that hasn't been sanitized.)
It's potty time
Introduce the potty in a casual way. Put it in a room where your child plays most often. The kitchen is a good place, so you can supervise. It will also encourage your child to use it more often if it is in plain view. Let your child play and get accustomed to it. Then show your child how it works.
At this time you can also put your potty chart on the refrigerator. Explain to your child that each successful use of the potty means a sticker for his or her chart (use praise too, of course). This will be an incentive to get your child to start using the potty chair. Once your child is used to the potty chair, you can start to encourage use of it.
At the beginning of training, increase fluids to encourage practice. Encouraging practice will help your child learn the basic potty skills. In addition, you will want to make sure your child eats lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Prune and apple juice are always good staples to have around when bowel movement (BM) training. You want to keep your child's stools soft to prevent withholding of stools. When you see any signs that your child is about to go (passing gas, wriggling, holding crotch or telling you), quickly tell your child it's time to use the potty.
All cooperation with attempts at using the potty should be praised with words like, "What a big boy! Nicolas is using the potty just like daddy!" Also, remember to praise your child and offer a sticker for his/her chart for every successful potty use. This will help build self-esteem.
If you encounter problems
--------------------------------------------------------
If your child is reluctant or refuses to use the potty, try to encourage him/her by offering to read a story while sitting on the potty. If this still does not work, back off and do not push him/her.
You can try to leave your child's diaper off at the time he/she usually has a BM. Timing is an important factor in toilet training. If you sense that he/she has to do a BM (gas for instance), take the diaper off right at the moment you see your child getting ready to do it.
If you do catch your child before the BM occurs, then quickly take him/her to the potty and tell him/her that this is where the poop goes. Hopefully if you catch your child at the precise moment, he/she will look for relief and let you guide him/her to the potty. If your child protests a bit, gently encourage and explain to your child "that he/she is a big girl/boy now and Mommy and Daddy expect you to use the potty." Remember, encourage and guide, but do not force your child to sit.
If your child refuses to sit on the potty, then it's not the right time yet. If your child pees and poops constantly in his or her underwear, then he/she is not ready. No big deal — try again in a month or so. This is normal. Let your child take the lead. Your child needs to be in control of the process.
Withholding of stools
---------------------------------------------
It only takes ONE painful BM to cause your child to be frightened of using the potty, so at all costs, make sure his or her diet has sufficient fresh fruits, vegetables and juice. If your child has a painful BM only once while trying the potty, it could delay potty training for months. He/she will associate painful BMs with the potty and will refuse to use it.
If you suspect that your child is withholding his/her stools, it is best to stop training and increase the fluids. Always call your pediatrician if you think your child is withholding. It can be serious if an impaction occurs. Tell your child at that moment, that he/she is not ready yet and that you will try again later. Continue to play potty videos and read toilet-training books often to encourage regular use of the potty so your child will grasp the concept. Keep the potty-chair — eventually you'll see signs of interest again. Remember, the keys to toilet training are patience, praise, encouragement (and a sticker chart to build self-esteem and make the learning process fun).
It's not a linear process
------------------------------------------------
Toilet training can get messy so be prepared and expect that there will be many mistakes. Your child is learning a very difficult skill. Clean up any accidents without anger or showing disgust.
Do not make negative comments. Explain to your child that pee and poop go in the toilet. You should also empty any accidents in underwear or training pants into the toilet and explain to your child that she is a big girl now and this is where the poop goes. Try switching from diapers to training pants when your child does at least fifty percent of his urine or BM in the potty. At night, you can use diapers until your child wakes up dry for a couple of days in a row. Remember, this is a very difficult skill to learn. No one has ever said toilet training is easy! Make the process fun and you will have happy memories to look back on.
Gearing Up To  Go Potty
Acknowledging the potty
---------------------------------------------------
    The very first step toward potty-training is having your child understand when he's going to the bathroom. He'll start telling you when he's going or has gone. He'll want his diaper changed immediately because he recognizes that he's uncomfortable. Then you can start introducing the concept of the potty. For example, after he's gone in his diaper, discard it in the toilet and help him flush!
Well, hello potty
-----------------------------------
Before you bring your child in contact with the toilet, it may be useful to think about getting a child's potty seat. One idea is to draw a colorful, fun potty out of construction paper and post it next to the actual potty, so that she can associate the drawing with the real thing. Ask her if she would like to use the potty before bath time or after a nap. If she refuses, remain positive and say, "Okay, maybe next time!" If she is excited, follow through with the process.
     Big kids go potty
------------------------------------
     Once your child sits on the toilet — or even if he just tries — praise him enthusiastically. If he actually goes, giving him a reward such as a piece of candy is one approach but also encourage him after he's done by clapping and saying things like "Good job!" and "Big boys go on the potty!"
Signs of readiness
--------------------------------------
   Potty training could take about, on average, eight weeks — but this is highly individual. What's just as important as waiting for your child to show readiness is that you pick up on behavior demonstrating that your child might not be ready. Once she sits on the potty, if she doesn't get down to business and starts fiddling with the toilet paper, whining or even crying, for example, then it's time to wait a few more weeks before you start again.
     Ditching the diapers
-------------------------------------------
As the concept of using the toilet becomes more prominent, set your watch every hour and encourage your child to go frequently. Associate certain times of day with going to the bathroom — first thing in the morning, before and after nap/rest time, after lunch, before bed and so forth. And make sure that as a parent, you're frequently and noticeably using the bathroom as well.
     Potty pointers
------------------------------
Don't succumb to pressure, and don't pass pressure on. Although your friends may be potty training their children or have a child who, they say, "self-trained at 18 months," don't feel as if your child is not as advanced because he lacks the physical readiness to use the potty. Remember, your child must be physically independent in addition to being emotionally ready. Some kids, too, need to decide that the benefits of being a "big kid" and wearing underwear outweigh the convenience of diapers.
The best advice overall is to stay positive and enthusiastic — both for you and for your child — and remember what parents who have been there say: "Don't worry — she's not going to go to college in diapers!"
I read meany things on potty training to help my sister train her daughter.... this was the only advice that seamed to help me but it might be different for you, Every child is different i had a friend teach her son to potty by letting him put a potato head piece on his potato head as a reward (that's how much he loved his Potato head) GOOD LUCK!!!!